Did Mepps Leave DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by zNot, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Domana Well-Known Player

The comments in this thread alone show what an impossible task Mepps had to deal with. I wish him the best and will miss his snarky comments on the livestreams.
    • Like x 8
  2. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Lol @ forum trolls crawling out of the woodwork, rejoicing at the thought they'll now be free to spew vile nonsense without consequences, and making it clear that whatever past bans they're complaining about were well deserved - just like the ones in the very near future will be... :D
    • Like x 4
  3. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I'm gone for the weekend and come back to see this on the Forums?!

I read this and I was like Oh wow! What is going on?!

I read his LinkedIn post and it isn't clear at all about the reason(s) for his departure: i.e. if it was voluntary or involuntary.

Dimensional will not comment on personnel matters in much the same way the company I work for does not comment other to say 'this individual is no longer in our employ'.

13 years is a long time to be at a company. That's like half my life lol. I wish Ted Stone well in his future career. The only thing certain in life is change. Change will happen whether we want it too or not. Sometimes, like this time, it happens suddenly and most unexpected.

When something like this happens, it causes fear, uncertainty, and doubt for all those involved. I can only imagine how Mepps is feeling right now. If it was willingly on his part, he is probably excited about the next adventure his career is going to take. If it was involuntary, after 13 years, he has to feel more than hurt, bitter, and probably concerned greatly about paying his bills and finding another job.

As I said above, I wish Ted Stone well in his future career.
    • Like x 8
  4. MystoganJella Well-Known Player

Can’t Wait To See The Game Prosper Even More Within The Next 10yrs Or So As Promised :)
    • Like x 1
  5. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

No offense to the other guy, but I have always found that you do this job better than your fellow colleagues have/had. Personal opinion.
    • Like x 2
  6. Wildcat Committed Player

This game is very old not sure if it’s worth investing money

Title and licenses to all those characters might be interesting for company who would like to make new game tho
  7. Ash Inferno Well-Known Player

I guess that poll didn't win any hearts lol. :rolleyes:
  8. PrinceD Active Player

As far as i know the Development is scheduled until 2030 including the licenses with Warner Brothers, so i dont know what expect to the game until then...
  9. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Kinda glad I jumped on that life boat early lol
  10. TheMikeB Active Player

You must be new here. The Dev team would frequently open communication with the players before they started with the money grabs
  11. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I am a little sad about these turn of events. It greatly concerns me and the future of this game.
    • Like x 2
  12. Ultra_Kryptonian New Player

Sometimes a changing of the old guard leads to new and better things. But right now.....look at the entertainment industry as a whole and look at Disney as a specific example. I don't think anyone would be in favor of new blood making changes to DCUO in line with what's happened to the Star Wars and Marvel brands.
  13. Ultimus Primus Well-Known Player

Good luck on your future projects Mepps and If I have to look for a new GAME to play oh well, guess what? I have to find a new game to play! Did the world just end? NOPE not at all.
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

The big difference with something like Champions and DCUO is the IP is valuable and controlled by another company. If the game ever gets to a point like Champions where some relic server is spun up to allow people with a nostalgia for the game to still play, but not generate ANY revenue or help the brand (not sure how much of THAT happens with DCUO now even), the IP holders would pull the license and either bring it elsewhere, or just to have it NOT go to such a sad state of affairs.
    • Like x 2
  15. EthanBlack Level 30

If I had to deal with the childish and toxic players and the petty stuff his job included, I wouldn't have lasted half as long. I mostly avoid playing in groups where I can because of it. I'm sure he was far from perfect, but those he had to interact with the most were probably the worst of us. I hope this isn't the doom of DCUO that some say. Playing this game is my escape from reality.

Best wishes to all involved,
    E
    • Like x 8
  16. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Well, the only online multiple platform multiplayer game with Ironman, Thor, etc wasn't able to afford keeping any dev at all lol, neither did the second one.
  17. Sollace Well-Known Player

Now, I'm wondering about 2 things, as for the content that's planned for this year, is it being maintained? and also out of curiosity, how involved could Mepps be in the development of regular content? did they have a simple right of review, or could they define the choice and otherwise of any content?

I know it's CM, but as it's a fairly small studio (well, I think) there's perhaps more scope or more multi-tasking by employees than there would be in a large company. Although I can see you coming, we'll probably never have an answer to that, I know that.
  18. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Mepps used to pass feedback to the team and help them understand what people wanted, but I dont think he had any power to tell what should be in the game or not.

It looks like they just hired a new senior artist with 17 years of xp, so at least I think they plan to keep the new dlcs coming.[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  19. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

Well if this game is going to prosper, then EG7 is going to have to stop floating other games in its game investment portfolio with DCUO's revenue and actually invest back in to DCUO and not this bare bones, minimal effort just to get something released to quell the player base for [insert amount of time here] until the next content or gimmick revenue release. Rinse, repeat lazy content and recycle trope.

This game from day one should be much bigger than it is now. 13 Years running on the same game engine, well longer with alpha and beta runs. I would say at least 4 to 7 years ago is when they should have worked on porting things over to Unreal 4 or whatever engine they would have decided on then. The revolving door dev team is hamstrung on arrival, probably cant wait to leave and pawn off current projects to the new devs. Which gets the player base in a tizzy and pissed at delayed this delayed that, twice a year dlc release... wat about this, what about that, licensing hurdles, too protective is this and that, we have the numbers and data that says it would be a waste of money, or cant do this because of game engine limitations, or balancing issues etc.

I wonder how many devs have said "Wow I get to work on D'ink and work on DCUO... thats awesome, wow, f yeah... only to find out they have to some how finagle an archaic game engine from the PS3 days and laugh so hard their ribs hurt and there pants fill up and have to take the rest of the day off to recoup and regather. Or feel like its a demotion from working on better things.

Maybe its a EG7 problem and not the devs or mepps problem as its being made out to be. "OHMIGHAWD MePps IZ gone hahahaheeee now this gaem will thrive and be better nao!!! While EG7 is like... thanks Mepps for being a scapegoat and taking some heat off of us.
    • Like x 6
  20. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

When I tried them, it was like an entire game had been condensed to just Legends PvE. At least when we have different batmans running around, they are someone's attempt at the best clone they could make, often trying to emulate an iconic comic story era/arc, and don't all necessarily have the same powerset or skill focus. Even in DCUO, Legends PvE seemed to be "oh, they like playing Harley, maybe they just don't like PvP, but can still be Harley" and that didn't work. Character customization, even to make a clone, is one of the hallmarks of this game that sets it apart.
    • Like x 1