Did Mepps Leave DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by zNot, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Emoney Dedicated Player

How can it have nothing to do with your post when it was a third of what you stated?!? As to the rest, the point is they don't have to put out any statements if the game isn't going anywhere. It would only work against them to announce this kind of action ahead of time, both from the devs perspective and ours. Some businesses do announce layoffs ahead of time, but not all, and especially not in the video game industry.
  2. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Look even if DCUO doesn’t close up shop tomorrow sure EG7 invested too much into it to do that fine sure right. But do you all really want to play a game that’s the equivalent of a dying cancer patient in life support? Sure it still goes on but very miserably and only with a few things here and there to keep it alive? I’ve seen tons of leagues die I’ve seen tons of friends leave. These people were huge players they SPENT MONEY on DCUO they SPENT TIME playing DCUO grinding feats in Elite raids. And they left. They weren’t casuals they were practically professional DCUO players and they obviously saw the writing on wall and left. Someone like Mepps should be assuring us that EG7 isn’t shutting down anytime soon but Mepps is gone and even if he was here his silence the last few years has been deafening. I dunno what survival on this game looks like because it seems to get worse every month and every year.
  3. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

I want to wish Mepps and the other former staff well. Mepps has weathered the storm of so much, from all sides, and through so many changes. While I didn't have much insight on the other staff, Mepps was very visible. We went from a time with multiple forum moderators to a time with just a community manager ... Mepps, you were able to take on the task of many. We went from a time when the forums were pretty much the only outlet for information to now having a new website, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, Discord, and probably others, and you managed them all. You were on top of what people were saying about the game everywhere, and ready to respond in moments. If you hadn't been there to catch what I was saying about the name reclaim, that would've been a horrible turn of events for them, and they owe it to having someone like you. I got to work with the Devs on the Issue Tracker, but got to feel your pain being a volunteer intake for the community's complaints. It takes multiple volunteers around the clock just to moderate the Discord, let alone to read it. I was proud to be selected to be part of the Round Table, and got to see firsthand how much engagement you really had on a daily basis. It can't be easy being the literal face of the game for so many. Surely others in the industry have noticed how much you took on your own shoulders, and will be lucky to have you.

Mr Stone, thank you.
    • Like x 7
  4. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

Man me and mepps used to battle it out when i was in highschool, i was working up the nerve to ask him to bring my main forums account back from vacation as ive flown under the radar for years now with good behavior.. so will dcuo not have a community manager anymore? Are community managers a thing of the past?

The sky might be falling..
  5. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

This brought a true smile to my face. Hope it brings one to his, too.
    • Like x 4
  6. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

Great News! Dcuo finally coming to an end. Now everyone is less stressed. Good Luck with your future endeavors.
  7. thedemonocus Loyal Player

This makes me worry about the future of the game. I still like this game a lot and i have invested a lot of time and money into it so i would be quite upset if this game dies. I don't really know much about the inner workings of this game but it seems like Mepps was a big part of it so losing him could be very bad for the game. It's not easy getting fired or laid off, or whatever it was in his case so I also wish him well.
  8. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Having a dev comment here makes it less concerning, since at least we know the game wont be done by next week lol, but you dont get rid of your senior community manager unless there is serious change going on. Its not a random guy, its someone who was here for 13 years and has deep knowledge of the community you like it or not.

At the same time he was probably getting paid a **** ton of money and all we had of communication in the past year was a few posts on the forums
    • Like x 2
  9. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

According to the post by Andy D it was company wide, but nothing about fired guys from the software dev team so far, most was concept art and human resources, I hope the game keeps going lol

Just found out the senior environment artist with 5 years of experience got abducted by Jack the Ripper last month lol, oh well.at least they seem to be hiring replacements
  10. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

It would be nice to know.
  11. zNot Loyal Player

I wonder if the last episode performing this poorly had a impact on who got layoff
  12. Wildcat Committed Player

They might be selling the game, or really need's money.

Instead of fixing/upgrading the game and making pvp profitable we got people with years experience kicked.

They trying to get those last drops of juice before they will throw fruit away.

Been here since game launched looks like I’ll see the end too.
  13. Ghostknight Well-Known Player

Never glad to hear about anyone being laid off from their job especially in this economy. Mepps I wish you and your family well and good luck.

As for DCUO, this big change could be a good thing, because it might mean the game is going in a new direction. I personally think the survey also had something to do with the layoffs of certain employees. I think certain things had to change before they posted the 2024 Development Update, which now will be very interesting when released. I cross my fingers and will remain excited about what the update will say. Big changes are the hardest to take but can often lead to good things.

Last, I hope this is not the end of this wonderful and unique game that I have loved for a long time. I remain optimistic about the future of DCUO for now.

Peace and DCUO Forever
  14. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Well hopefully we all will see the end lol, I'm not planning on dying before DCUO

At the same time they are still hiring (opened multiple positions at DInk last week) and the layoffs were company wide not game specific.

I don't think they plan on shutting down the game right now since they can still milk easy money with capsules and bundles, but they will likely keep saving money with less episodes and by lowering human resources teams and non-vital art team (like they did in the past firing people like Megzilla)
  15. VasquezR Active Player

There are a lot of apocalyptic comments about the game in this topic, this won't help at all, what I can say is that several companies were in the same situation, servers being closed is something very drastic, it won't happen now (I'm not saying it will never happen), Champions Online is still around today even without content, this could happen to DC in the worst case scenario, but I don't think it will get to that point, we don't know precisely what's behind everything, everything is hazy, but the What we know is, this game makes a good amount of money for daybreak, I would assume that in the worst case scenario maybe they would sell the game, but the situation is not good, running out of content will not be good, and from the looks of it everything is to reduce costs , let's see where it goes, in the best case scenario they will hire replacements and that's what we should expect in the best case scenario, anyway, Mepps I wish you luck on your new journey!
    • Like x 1
  16. BƖack Dedicated Player

I've seen this many times. Tera had similar situation.

Bad game direction - Then people quit - Then devs quit - The game shuts down.
  17. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

I must say there is a lot of people here who should think twice before posting here.
    I wish him All the luck and I don't wish anyone bad luck and say good riddance like some people.
    He was a community manager not a dev like so many keep getting wrong and with the community managain you simply can't please Everyone at All times..I had my share with him but that's all in the past and I try not to get angry on a person on internet that I don't see face to face so it really baffles me to see how much anger and unnecessary words that are used now that he is not even here anymore to defend him self.

I fear for the game now but I'm also hopefull that we'll get something positive out of this.
    Sometimes when I read the forums here the difference between this forum and the steam forums is very little when it comes to toxicity and words best not spoken nor written and it saddens me greatly to see how far some people goes.

Good bye Mepps,may you now have a Rest from the rest of us :)
    • Like x 3
  18. myandria Item Storage

Well, I'm late to this news but I do wish Mepps all the best with his future adventures. I'm sending positive vibes his way and I hope he finds another position soon.

The manager's position, or any position of leadership/decision making is not an easy one; you cannot and will not please everyone. In my opinion, he did the best he could have done with this game.and community. He stuck with us through thick and thin, through good and bad times this game and community went through. No matter how anyone thinks or feels about him, his dedication is something no one can take away from him; that is a fact.

I will miss him, but I am interested in seeing how this game will move forward. So, I will wait and see what happens.
    • Like x 1
  19. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

These forums bout to be the Wild West …
  20. BlackGryphon Well-Known Player

People leave jobs for all kinds of reasons, whether voluntarilly or involuntarilly, every day. This is no different and certainly nothing for those of us that it doesn't affect to concern ourselves with.

All the best, Mepps.
    • Like x 2