How fast of an internet connection is needed to play? Also, CR skip + Stat Clamp woes of a child

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KidKretz, Jan 13, 2024.

1. KidKretz Committed Player

No idea what to call this thread, so there it is :p

Got a ps4 for kids for Christmas and as a PC player, I was excited to hook them up to play DCUO with them.

However my modem only has 1 ethernet outlet, and the wireless router I bought years ago for the sole purpose of putting out a wireless signal to download offline games on the kids ipads, is capped at 60mbps.

When using the wireless or ethernet cables from that, the game just drops/disconnects after a couple mins of play. Game works great with the modem cable going to the PC or to the PS4, i just cant do both right now (working on that solution with our internet provider).

my internet is 400mbps, but its sad to see that i cant play with the 60 splitter i have atm ;( so was curious if anyone knew the minimum?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

ONTO another fun story, got my kid set up with his own account, he did the tutorial, got to level 10 and then used the CR skip. when logging back in, he noticed all his quests were gone and almost broke down in tears because he wanted to do the story mode, but I assured him he can do all that for fun on another character he created. (i did buy him a character slot for 5 bucks to get him premium on his account, so he is up to 7)

BUT, it is what he said that had me dying of laughter, and I had to tell him the hard truth of "WE DON'T DO THAT HERE IN DCUO!"

He said, "But I wanted to be level 368 and then play story mode and be able to one shot everything!"

now i get that all you technical ppl will be like, story mode is not clamped, he can still one shot them. but the idea that even a child understands the concept of leveling up, so things get easier and even one-shottable at a point is universal!

anywho, cheers to the next gen of DCUO GAMERS!!!!
  2. Illumin411 Loyal Player

When I do the omnibus solos and get the old original ones, I pretty much one-shot everything. And while I don’t actually one shot bosses, they only require a HoL bot, turret pet and about 4.6777777 seconds or less of DPSing to beat. I hope you didn’t s*** all over his dream as it is still quite achievable.
    • Like x 4
  3. Emoney Dedicated Player

Honestly, I don't know what the minimum is, but it's not very high, I'm sure anything over 5mbps would run this. I'm guessing the splitter you use, or your setup in general is just not communicating properly to your playstation.

I have a funny story too that relates to this. Waaaaay back in 2011/2012 I was living at my Dad's. He was very anti internet and technology so he didn't want it hooked up. Luckily my neighbor who was about 500ft away from our house had wifi. By accident I discovered their signal on my ps3. I would play this game daily on the 1 to 3mbps I got from them lol. The downside, when thier router needed to be reset, I couldn't play and I had to wait until they got around to doing it lol. Sometimes a day, sometimes a week. I am thankful they left their router unlocked though, it introduced me to online gaming and this game.
    • Like x 2
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Funny story.

I bought a PC for my kid as well and they leveled their character and then they started running old content.

They said to me "Is there any way to make this harder, I need to be clamped more".

I just laughed and said "it doesn't get any harder"... we both laughed.
    • Like x 6
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

FWIW, I've played my PS4 while remote running off a bad cellphone signal and only getting 10Mbps or so DOWN. The up speed is more important as when I have bad up speeds, it's far more jittery. A 60MB cap shouldn't preclude playing.

However, that having been said, it sounds like it's more a shoddy router vs just the bandwidth. Might be time to look at adding a hub to split the cable (your provider shouldn't need to be involved really) or a new WiFi. Good luck.
    • Like x 2
  6. KidKretz Committed Player

when chatting up tech support, they said they have changed their policies and no longer lease their modems,which i went and paid for my own instead of 15 bucks every month leasing theirs. so the free one i would get does actually have 2 ethernets, so i can send one to the ps4 and one to my pc :)

so that's the simple free fix i can do it would seem. just waiting for the weekend to be over to make the call during business hours :)

but glad to see everyone here ran it with less at some point. it def must be this router dropping signal then, even wired.
    • Like x 2
  7. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

FWIW, I live in a rural area, so my internet comes off a cell tower, and the only time I have a problem is when there's bad weather, like heavy rain. Or when I'm in a very full phase, with everyone in the phase going after the same boss bounty.
    • Like x 3
  8. KidKretz Committed Player

ofc you would have the opposite story of mine! hehe

Cheers Mate!

Didn't get to say it publicly last time, since the thread closed but will say it here, that i greatly appreciate you helping me and providing me with video help over the years. we may have diff views on the clamp and apparently have children with diff views on the clamp, but you def go the extra mile to help ppl, you rock!
    • Like x 3
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Well if it's your own router, you can put a dumb hub or switch (meaning no routing done on it) and use it to 'split' your single ethernet line. It wouldn't involve switching the router...but if the provider is offering one for 'free' (read the fine print and make sure you aren't required to commit to a contract), that is good too.

I always got my own router for years, then added wifi separately so I could upgrade it or add to it if I wanted and always used a Gig switch to make more ports...unfortunately the cable company has raised the price of unlimited bandwidth UNLESS you use their router, so last year I finally gave in and picked one up. I do still use my own switch and WiFi behind it, but yeah...I have been assimilated for free unlimited bandwidth.
    • Like x 2
  10. Aiden_Warren Well-Known Player

Thats one thing the omnibus did ruin is the fundamentals for kids. To be able to wreck everything in the early end game.
    I hope that the devs can make the stats clamps for omnibus as only for the omnibus que to get the marks and other styles and other loot drops and regular que so can one shot everything and they can get feats easier to get skills more quickly.
    And they can add the duos and alerts and raids walk in for the episodes Gotham and metro missions teleporters.
    Just as they have some raids walk ins on the early early end game.
    • Like x 2
  11. KidKretz Committed Player

ended up getting a switch for it, both PC and PS4 play the game just fine now :)

twas exciting to get to play with the kid :)
  12. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

As someone who played this over 10 years ago, when we still had broadband/DSL internet, the minimum would be 2mbps BOTH up/down. Anything below that would be lagging/rubberbanding.
    • Like x 1
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, my kids no longer play very much (like at all really) but it was fun when we used to run together. It was the primary reason I first started up the PC account, so between the PC, PS3 and PS4 we were able to get 3 on at once. Then PS3 dropped off but now PS5 would allow for 3 and my one kid has DC on his PC and we could all run in theory. If only I could say with a straight face that the game was worth coming back to.

But if your kid is having fun with you...that's awesome. Just don't tell him about wolfpacks and TCs.;)
    • Like x 5
  14. Aiden_Warren Well-Known Player

Heavy Rain? I live in Houston Texas it rains in anger here.
    • Like x 2
  15. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I used to also play with my kids back when I first started. I started on the PS4, but I still had my PS3 so we created another PSN account so we could run stuff together. I especially enjoyed teaming up for legends PVP battles together! My youngest son created our league, LeagueOfV since all my characters back then started with V. Fun times!

I honestly thought Proxy was making up that story just to troll you! I hope it's true!
    • Like x 1
  16. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I myself have found myself (very upsettingly) running into this issue more times than I could count. Naturally, with the bad population of Xbox I've always tried to get people to return. More importantly recruit new people (especially friends to play with since every single one from my couple years of playing quit), but find myself feeling extremely guilty if I don't disclose the truth. Heck I've had full on paragraphs to friends in Xbox messenger I was about to send to intice them to join, but immediately erased it all because it's "just not right". I can't with a good heart condone (might need a different word) them to such atrocities. That is not a good look for the game at all for players to feel that way.....
    • Like x 2
  17. Dev72 Dedicated Player

Learning moment for a child.

Life doesn't supply everything you want, however, if you work hard enough....you get everything you need.
    • Like x 1