I', sorry, I can't believe emotes are profitable

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kuno, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Lugo Well-Known Player

the devs know most players have little or no standards, at least for this game, so they'll take anything (content in loot boxes instead of gameplay, metropolis and gotham over and over, no chance for new superpowers in a superhero video game) as long as their numbers can go up or they can pay their way to the latest gear the fastest

i think the DC brand alone would be enough for them to milk a few dedicated players forever

people will accept the tradeoff of having a fun game vs making as much money for as low effort as possible because the backwards logic of capitalism is the reality we've accepted for ourselves
    i thought everyone forgot about this T_T

And they're wonky!
    • Like x 3
  2. Whoru Level 30

100% the game combat system is based on Superheros Powers and we dont get any updates i would even take new abilitys or so on old powersets like for example the Pride bounty in the Sins of Black Adam DLC has like a Fire Tornado where is the problem in like using that for Fire Like a SC or a normal ability, just make it smaller and thats it. But they have to change something or creat new stuff i would say 99% of DC player want a new powerset. But nah excuses over excuses thats disgusting. (Emotes are as hard to creat as powersets so there is not ´´MORE´´ work):(
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

They've got all the data, though. They can see how many new characters were made with a certain power set, how many players respeced their character to or from power sets, how often and how long players play on characters with a certain power set, and so on. If they aren't seeing people purchase or (with subscribers) use or change to a new power set after it gets introduced, or the costs to make it aren't being covered by purchases (respec or buying the power itself) it's not going to paint an encouraging picture about continuing down that road with dev time, money and personnel.

As for playing it safe? It's a game that's over a decade old, and it's a niche game in something of a niche game genre (MMOs aren't quite the powerhouses they used to be, and it's a genre dominated by sword and sorcery/fantasy). I don't blame them in the slightest for playing it safe.
    • Like x 2
  4. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

In regards to emotes. There a few cool ones I like. Overall, Im indifferent to them or really dont care about them one way or the other.

However, I think its a real disservice to the game in regards to no Blue Lantern powers / Ultra Violet / Violet powers... and / or even Black and White lantern powers to round out the controller role lantern powers and the rage tank powers we have now. Blue Lantern powers have been asked for since the first War of the Light DLC, if not before that when people were asking for Hard light powers since game launched in '11.

I believe they know this despite having the data on powers sets played. Water aint Blue Lantern powers, even its a facsimile of it, It aint atomic, it aint munitions. If they were to make Hard light Healer/dps powers and put them in the market place... I know they can make money off of them.

Since they have all that data for power sets played... no new additional powers for those power sets? One or two power power every few years added would have been good enough to quell new power thirst among the player base (imo)

Seems like they are slowing down on making new artifacts. As for allies... start pumping them out. Two-Face, Grodd, Solomon Grundy, Scarecrow, Black Canary, Green Arrow, Mr Freeze... and the list goes on. And still no Lantern allies.
    • Like x 1
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

They really aren't.
    • Like x 3
  6. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

I couldn't care about emotes, but it's a staple of nearly every MMO and tbh was something they should have been monetizing a decade ago instead of trying to sell bad styles, like what's seemingly a Cowboy Curtis inspired outfit on the marketplace. :p
  7. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

In theory.... it should be easy money.

But.......

How many people actually spend $$$ for them Emotes???

Now THAT is the question.

If we don't see more Emotes on the MP.....
    We will know if enough people buy them Emotes or not.

Guess we will have to wait and see. :(

And you have to wonder.....

Why no Green Lantern Emote??
    Heck there could be a whole series of Emotes just for the Green Lantern recharging the ring.... using a whole bunch of constructs.... and more!!

The same for all the other Lanterns.

Imagine a Black Lantern emote pack for Halloween??
    How did that not happen??

Orange Lantern emote pack for Christmas??

Pink Lantern emote pack for Valentine??

And More!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

That seems like HUGE missed opportunity to me.
    Or am I crazy???
    • Like x 2
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s cause dc comics is very protective of there lanterns (even thou they use them as punching bags in animated movies…). At the end of the day they still have to work within what they are allowed to use.
    • Like x 1
  9. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

For gamers, who never worked on a game and have no idea how it's done, they are - they are both equally impossible... :)
  10. Great Architect Loyal Player

True. But I'd have thought he could follow the logic himself: -

A new Powerset is basically a bunch of Emotes (Power animations), PLUS all the back-end game mechanics. I understand that people aren't necessarily in the know about how much that back-end requires in terms of coding, testing, balancing, etc. - but you'd think it would be obvious that it's way easier to just do the animation part than it is to do that plus all the extra stuff that makes a Power a Power, and not just an animation :)?
    • Like x 1
  11. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Double it with 2 roles too
  12. Kuno Loyal Player

Thats the excuse they make because the game is on life support milking you with materials and allies.
    • Like x 4