I HATE the Winter Seasonal

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Ryazan Dedicated Player

The absolutely worst of all seasonal events. With an infuriating open world mission heavily infused with RNG, where you can either be done with an orange tree in a single orange lantern wave, or end up having to deal with 3 waves of them just for 2 progress points in the mission. And to make it worse the stupid presents can transform into a snowman construct, which once it happens you are entirely helpless, awful awful awful.

Oh and it's not like you can just avoid doing the open world mission and go for the On Duty instead only, you would be missing on 12 marks per day... 12, with half of them being missable if you forget to open the journal after completion. And it's not like the On Duty instance is good either, Larfleeze is a stinky timewaster with we being obligated to kill 3 waves of orange lanterns, and for some reason in between them spare with an invincible Larfleeze, before we can kick his *** for good and say adieu to this terrible seasonal.

Rant over. Bah humbug.
    • Like x 4
  2. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

Increases time a little bit but what I used to do on lower level toons (or even high level if I was feeling lazy) was to click the tree and run back away from it...if the big behemoth guy comes out I'd fight the one round of adds and if not I'd move on to the next tree...
  3. BlackGryphon Well-Known Player

You -could- just ignore the whole event and concentrate on stuff you enjoy.
    • Like x 7
  4. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I have a route that i use everytime and it takes about 5 minutes to finish no matter what. One thing that is worth noting is that we need to do the Gotham missions before we do the winter alert instance
    • Like x 1
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Find a route that's a comfy routine to run and follow it daily. The cities are big and there are plenty of spawns to use.

Hold Block while opening the present to prevent being either snow-globed or snowman-ed.

The three waves is how they set up the instance. When people would burn through and knock out Larfleeze before the three waves was over it'd have a very good chance of bugging the instance. That's why his health resets now.

Oh, and just as a friendly help-them-out to newer players/characters searching for Larfleeze daily for the feat, be kind and keep your distance if you already have the feat. And for those going after the feat, wait until you see "Update: You've spotted Larfleeze" pop up on the side of the screen before taking off. It won't count if you leave before you see that prompt.
    • Like x 4
  6. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

My problem is they continue to raise the prices in the event . styles was originally 6 to 8 marks a piece now its 30 per piece. used to be able to mine stuff on multiple characters now I have to use multiple to complete 1 set to get a feat. Its not supposed to be a grind but a holiday event not a grind to get a **** style with base item I won't put down because are base decoration mode sucks
    • Like x 1
  7. Alushaun Well-Known Player

I feel you. Winter is #1, Spring is #2 and Halloween is #3 in order of least favorite mission content. (Anniversary is my fav)

But the rewards are usually so so nice. Trade-off.
  8. Eve YouTuber

I get that. It's also when I'm doing the open world and I'm on 8/9 and I want to hit the wall with my bare hands. Cause 3 gifts don't count. A little tip but after I interact with a gift I block a little and if it's a fake one I don't get turned, so it's a little faster. :)
    • Like x 3
  9. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I dislike all the seasonals, and usually only run the anniversary dailies because I'm usually done with the current episode. I'm just glad for the vault where I slowly collect the marks and buy the items I need for feats. I just did the "run this mission so many times" feats and then stopped other than the vaults.
    • Like x 1
  10. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I don't mind the winter seasonal. I rather enjoy being called a stoopid villain poopyhead. actually, I don't think I mind any of the seasonals. I got 18 toons, so I'm usually done pretty quick with any of them. like everyone else sez, block, man. & shield. that helps things go a little quicker, too.
    • Like x 1
  11. Limey Committed Player

Shhh, gamers use gamer logic, not rational human logic.
    • Like x 2
  12. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Hate is such a strong word. How about despise? xD
  13. Ryazan Dedicated Player

I do block when I do the cogs on the presents, but it still feels like a 50/50 chance, I'm transformed regardless sometimes.
  14. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Nah, I do hate it. The only good thing about it are the base items and styles, hmm but maybe that's actually a bad thing since to get them, I need to do the seasonal.
  15. Plowed In Loyal Player

Shields yes for sure, nothing worse than being interrupted at 75% cog turn by a spawning enemy. Or learning to use the presents as positioning shields ;)
    • Like x 4
  16. Alushaun Well-Known Player

I wanted to thank you for this. I didn't know I could block the present actions and have improved my experience now that I do (still hate it tho).

I've been playing this game and seasonal since release in 2011, I do know how to block and I do understand the logic behind blocking and many other game functions.

Then a moment like this happens and another long time player is like "...you know you can block that right?". I just have to take the L and say thanks.

:(, Thanks willflynne.
    • Like x 1
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

No worries, there are probably some simple little things that I still miss, and I've been around pretty much since the start. For example, I learned this a while ago, but it took a while before I learned about right clicking inventory items in the Broker screen to see what price others might be selling the item for. LOL

Glad I could provide a little help, regardless. :)
    • Like x 2
  18. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

If you don't have a shield in your loadout, and you're playing solo, it's probably best to only bother with the trees if the BIG Orange Lantern spawns. If you have a shield, the one that starts with 3 lanterns is doable, if sometimes frustrating. The one that starts with a tree and presents that have to be destroyed is best for a group (or if you have a shield that cools down really fast).

Yep. I have a toon whose lair is in an are that has a lot of the Orange Lantern trees, and is conveniently close to several Larfleeze spawn spots. I just send all my toons to that base. :)

It doesn't always prevent the snowmanning, but it works a lot more often than not blocking at all. Basically, as soon as the the cog starts, hold down block, so you'll be in the block stance as soon as it finishes.

Not much to add, other than, don't bother with all the stuff like orbitals and pets/henchmen/sidekicks as long as your mission tracker tells you (something like) "Overload shields: x/3." That means you still have adds to defeat before you can beat Larfleeze. Also, the adds go faster if each player picks a corner and deals with the add in that corner. If the other 3 corners are done, and a player is struggling with theirs, by all means, give them a hand.

It's probably best to wait until Larfleeze finishes his goofy dance and flies off. Also, it only counts once per day. If you've already got it for today, don't bother going after the other locations.
    • Like x 3
  19. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Oh, and I forgot to add, when you're looking for Larfleeze, don't waste a lot of time running around from spawn to spawn, looking for him. Go to the first spot, and if you don't see him, cycle through the available phases before moving to the next spawn. It goes a lot faster that way, especially when there are 3 or 4 active phases. If you're lucky, you won't have to leave that spot.