I', sorry, I can't believe emotes are profitable

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kuno, Dec 7, 2023.

1. BƖack Dedicated Player

Daybreak never introduce what players need or ask for. They add things we never needed or asked for. Like i said long ago our feedbacks are not and never been effective. That's one of the reasons i changed the game.
    • Like x 1
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I just wish they served a better purpose.
    I appreciate some of the newer ones.
    Overall they really add nothing to the game.

What would be fun is if you could add them as new power animations.
  3. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I'm STILL waiting for my hair flip emote devs...., just saying.

[IMG]
    • Like x 11
  4. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

If they sold individual iconic powers in the market place people would call it pay to win. As a 2k player who does indeed take part in theyre pay to win scheme, i see no problem with dcuo selling iconics in the marketplace, or even selling skill points.. i have a pretty good job n only 1 kid and can afford to waste money, my time on the other hand is limited
    • Like x 3
  5. Kuno Loyal Player

To clarify things I'm not against anything cosmetic or shiny added to the game. It's optional. I love customization, wish we had even more like asymetrical gloves and leg choices.

I'm just pissed off because of the excuses they make to not expand or add new abilities or ways to play or feel more powerfull, besided henchmen and orbitals. The powersets are boring and not spectacular, they have been the same since the game released just minor tweaks. I want more powers, a kryptonian and amazonian powerset, or a super strenght, shadows...

And I know they need to make money, they could release powerset based skins for skimming, color powerset customization to make purple fire and green fire...

It's fine if you want to pay for emotes I just think there are other areas that need more effort.
    • Like x 6
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

They've already explained about no new power sets, though. From what I remember of Mepps' statement, they weren't selling enough to cover the costs of making them. They'd put in the time, effort and work to get them up and running (and balanced decently with the existing power sets) but they weren't getting the use (and I'd imagine purchases as well) to justify continuing to make new ones.

And even adding new powers to the existing sets means more work, not only to make them but to also balance them in the here and now AND in the future when something like a new Ally or Artifact (or maybe something new, we don't know what they might have up their sleeves) comes in and disrupts the existing power balance.

Emotes are fun, relatively simple compared to making power sets, don't disrupt balance and people seem to like them and buy them. I don't blame them one bit for running with it.
    • Like x 6
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That’s cute.. But guess what. Players have asked for emotes in the past lol. Just because you didn’t ask doesn’t mean someone else didn’t
    • Like x 5
  8. Wzlinnkk54 Active Player

See this is a problem aswell you want a super strength or superman or wonderwoman power or shadow, alright let's say starting next month dcuo dev start making a new power? Mepps said that it would mean for about a year no new content, and let's say they make a power you don't like, and it's bottom tier dps and bottom in it support role. Will you still be playing the game 1 year from now with the same exact content nothing new, no styles, no dlc, no tc, and a power your not going to buy. That's the biggest problem I see with adding new powers it's not everyone's cup of tea, and they are inexpensive. Heck I remember when the shaded came out the 2nd time and ppl on the forums were claiming to spend over $500 and still not getting it.
    • Like x 2
  9. Sollace Well-Known Player

That's the problem with DCUO and the managers who are always at odds with what the community is waiting for and what they think is good for the community. The artifacts have created a sledgehammer blow on the game's population and the game's user-friendliness, the clamp has clearly divided people and probably scared away a lot of players and now we are getting emotions that really bring nothing concrete to the game because it's just an optional decorative aspect.

And that's how the game slowly dies, because there is a disconcerting lack of recognition with what the players expect to really have in the game...
    • Like x 4
  10. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

The Only positive thing from my side when they do this is that then I there is zero interresting things in those time capsules for me and I can save my cash.
    • Like x 4
  11. Dene Devoted Player

People have been asking for these for AGES. Again, maybe you didn't but others did.
    • Like x 4
  12. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

That's the problem with a game, that appeals to a wide variety of players. Literally anything the devs do, or don't do, will p*ss off some people, who think that the game is meant just for them or that they speak for the "community", not just for themselves and maybe other people in their bubble.

All those people constantly saying things like "Nobody asked for this", "Everybody hates this", "Devs don't listen to the players", "The game needs to be this, or that", et cetera - are just incredibly self-centered and/or naive and make me lol, while smh...
    • Like x 5
  13. KidKretz Committed Player

on one hand, i know i am NOT the target audience for emotes.

so they wouldnt care about my opinion on the subject and nor should they.

on the other hand, knowing that, i look at it like this, if its bringing revenue in, great! if not, hopefully they have the data to show them and will stop and put efforts into something else that does make money
    • Like x 1
  14. Great Architect Loyal Player

There's a difference between "reasons" and "excuses". Just because you don't like their reasons does not make them excuses.

You're implying that they could easily do this, but just don't want to, whereas the reverse is the case.
    • Like x 5
  15. Great Architect Loyal Player

The main problem with new Powersets is Community demand. Back when new Powers were released, they weren't created from requests from the Community - they were simply new additions to the game. The power set that was heavily requested - Water - didn't sell well because it didn't live up to the wildly varying expectations. If there were to be a new Power created tomorrow, the overall responses would most likely be a) "That's not the power I asked for :mad: ." and b) "I wanted that power, but not the way you've implemented it :mad: ."
    • Like x 8
  16. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I like the new emotes. I think they are cute and I love that I can finally, so many years begging, flirty rest (hug knees).
    • Like x 6
  17. PrinceD Active Player

I'm going to say my opinion, I think a lot of people are complaining about the fact that the game this year had less content, 2 raids, 2 alert, 1 solo, 1 duo, I'm not counting the elite versions, but even if I did it would still be less compared to previous years, some people looking at this get frustrated, I liked when some emotes came, but I understand who is angry, just my opinion seeing the situation of the game recently :)
    • Like x 6
  18. Grip Committed Player

Several good points made and great questions asked :) While I accept upgrading an existing game feature like the emote system as proof DB is willing to upgrade game features (which is good), I too wonder about the opportunity cost of those development resources over time. That said, with the pattern in place for mega caps, something shiny had to go in there right? Couldn't very well be a new powerset, iconic ability, etc ...

What I like- Feels like they're freshening things up for the incoming and early-current generation of players; giving them a version of the sequin/firefighter/bandito suits, alien threat/dark mecha helmets, basic auras, boxing gloves, wings, robot pterosaurs, etc the ogs were offered (some bought, others did not). Could mean a major push to grow the game is in progress...

What I like less - As pointed out, at times it feels the devs are out of touch with the player community's specific interests; while there may be skepticism about emotes' profitability (and the decision to make them the mega add-in), Eve's 9 page and counting emote requests thread indicates new emotes are welcome, and personally, I think not heavily leaning on that list was a missed opportunity to say We hear you guys. In fairness, I've noticed other in-game tweaks that seem to say just that, and I like the Con Job and PB Treadmill emotes a lot.

In retrospect, April 1's somewhat silly yet fun Retro Combat Parser trinket's animation hinted toward the release of Quislet, an indisputable fan favorite artifact, and I'd like to look back at an emote or 2 and say something similar about new or refreshed iconic tree abilities in the coming months. That was a solid post and probably something you needed to get off your chest *salute*
    • Like x 3
  19. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

They certainly aren't making any money off of me with emotes, but the average MMO player is a suck for cosmetics and they're cheap to create.

I think they underestimate the effect that making a new power has on their income though. Sure... the whole playerbase may not be overly interested in every single one or switching powers immediately to try it, but... it adds something of substance to the game and gives bored players something new to try... which leads to them staying on longer and potentially spending money in other ways that aren't immediately recognizable or associated with said power. It's an investment that keeps on giving instead of selling skittles for pennies like they do with emotes. They're playing it way too safe to see any major growth.
    • Like x 2
  20. VasquezR Active Player

I think the same about new powers, new powers always gave a different atmosphere to the game, even those who said they didn't like the choice when it was launched always ended up creating a character to test or buying the token, I know that in the game situation that's not main goal for now, but having something that changes the atmosphere of the game would be very good, at least giving the players the chance to color the powers we already have, maybe you would feel something different? I believe so, personally, being a player I'm very tired of how the game cycle is repetitive, having something new that changes the atmosphere of the game can lift spirits again, I hope so, I really love this game.