I', sorry, I can't believe emotes are profitable

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kuno, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Kuno Loyal Player

I'm sorry I just can't believe it.
    Here we are with no new powersets, no new or higher tier abilities for existing powersets, no new weapons, no new iconic powers expanding the iconic powers tree, and not getting back the unique animations we had when this was running on ps3 (omfg).

In the meanwhile the devs give us the excuse that all that is too time consuming to create because "animations are time consuming".
    Then somehow they come out with "emotes" which are using, exactly new animations and even VFX.
    And they get to monetize them! Are the players of this game even supporting this thing?
    After how badly the last years have been managed when it comes to new content?

How disconnected and far from the community and the logic within a superhero action mmo one team has to be to release a bunch of emotes while leaving their game with the same old powers for more than a decade?
    Every damn game even if its mobile has a system to upgrade, unlock or gain new abilities.

Seriously this feels like a joke to me, just be open about it and say we are milking our last customers in the most stupid ways because we are lazy to work on actual things like new gameplays or proper content.
    • Like x 28
  2. Irvynnge Loyal Player

ah, well. never mind.
    • Like x 1
  3. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I can believe it. Everyone called it too
    • Like x 2
  4. Alushaun Well-Known Player

It is the shiniest of shiny new toys. Toys with 1 pose and no cool features.
    The emotes are very cool, and a great addition to a characters personality.

However they're new and everyone wants to feel unique showing off what not everyone else has. This is a short lived feeling and may burn out faster than most. Again, a great feature we've requested for years...but I expect the newness to wear off quickly. Save your cash for the eventual massive price drops on the broker.

That being said...ive never believed the excuses for not adding content. Its always, always about money. We could have had the coolest of cool comic animations years ago. smh
    • Like x 2
  5. JordanHarold25 New Player

I feel the same way you felling...
    • Like x 1
  6. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Why not have a ‘knockout’ emote that duplicates us being ko’d, cog and all the looks? That be funny!

But seriously though… duck the emotes, I just wanna go pew pew.
    • Like x 1
  7. Eve YouTuber

I agree that powers should get love. Even if It's adding new abilities to existing powers, It's even better. It just looks like they have a very specific routine of doing things - from releasing TC's & Boosters, Seasonals, DLC's, STU. At this point I mostly play for the cosmetic part of the game which is styles\bases. I want to see DCUO really flourishing in 2024. I also think they need to change the DLC's strecture and I talked about it in my recent video. It was honestly obvious they will monetize Emotes, and I'm not really "against" it, but for once I'd like to see a new addition to the game that isn't...well...asking me to put my wallet out. And you have a point about making animations and such for new emotes - if they can do it I am sure a few new abilities for each powerset - even if over time, won't hurt.
    • Like x 5
  8. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Hey, everybody! We've found the guy, who asked for this cr*p! Get your pitchforks and torches!

We could have had Blue Latrine powers instead... smh

:D
    • Like x 3
  9. zNot Loyal Player

To me its clear after what was said in the EG7 video that dc is getting more milked then fed so enjoy your mini episodes every 6 months everybody atleast you can look forward to the emotes,capsuls,allies,artifacts and other ways to milk dc while putting only enough $ back into the game to sustain this „strategy“ :)
    • Like x 5
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I have none of these even equipped, just whatever the stock Dpad list has, and have purchased none that weren't to get a feat done. Complete waste of resources as far as I'm concerned...BUT, if it gets people to buy them....therefore off-setting any cash they are looking to take off me...I'm fine to see as many ding-bats dancing around the HOL or WT as can fit in there.

I do love how it's seen as some way to express yourself uniquely, when there are 25 other people using the same emote in the same area. I'll just keep bowing or waving....works fine.
    • Like x 4
  11. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Soooo… you’re surprised people would spend $100s on cosmetics? This is literally the backbone of most income in most multiplayer games. Not just MMO. Players dressing like unicorns on shooter games and even in mobas like smiite, players buy skins for gots that are designed over food. If it’s shiny players spend money,
    • Like x 3
  13. Proxystar #Perception

I want emotes, love them! I didn't realize you were the community spokesperson though, my fault.
    • Like x 3
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If the cost for making them is relatively low and they set them at a decent price, then yes it's entirely possible for them to be profitable.

Besides, they don't require additional longer term costs like combat balance maintenance that you'd be looking at with new powers, weapons and the like. After all, it's a fun bit of flavor to add to a character, not a potentially game-changing disruption to running content or some kind of "must-have" for the latest iteration of the in-game meta.
    • Like x 5
  15. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I'm happy to see DCUO beginning to offer what I have long enjoyed in Final Fantasy XIV, the ability to have new & interesting emotes as well as styles & base items we can purchase for a small fee on the Company market place. Our market place is called the Mog Station. I highly recommend everyone to just visit the site to see what FF XIV offers players.

Having said that: We have it made here on DCUO. Have. It. Made. As it costs to:

A: Change your style overlay. Its free in DCUO and we can lock it in, not so on FF XIV. Plus we have to buy the glamour crystals to allow us to use an overly.

B: Change the color of .... anything. Changing the color of our clothes is free and easy in DCUO. Not so in FF XIV, that cost $$$ too.

C: Change your hair style. Again, free to do in DCUO. It cost to change your hair style in FF XIV.

Basically, any change made your character in FF XIV is going to cost you. Please keep in mind one can not play FF XIV unless they subscribe, so you have to pay $$$ just to play. DCUO is free to play even still I willing pay to subscribe to DCUO.

I see these offerings as a positive to the game to make it all the fun. If one wishes to purchase it, one can, otherwise don't and do with out. None of this is mandatory unlike Allies which are slowly becoming a necessity to play the game.
    • Like x 11
  16. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, Fortnite immediately came to mind. That game has made a fortune just on cosmetics since day 1! And I just recently started playing SWTOR and that game has dyes and races/species to buy.
    • Like x 5
  17. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I haven't seen you in a while, welcome back. :)
    • Like x 1
  18. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah in Star Wars the Old Republic, everything costs money as well, character customization, armory type style settings, even emotes, it all costs money.
    • Like x 2
  19. Proxystar #Perception

Hahaha, oh boy, yea welcome to the SWTOR money train, just posted that above as well :D
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I knew there was a reason why I never wanted to get into that game. Well, that and EA's involvement overall. And BioWare's almost fanatical focus on story. And having already fully scratched my Star Wars MMO itch with Star Wars Galaxies.

:D

(trust me, the rant could have gone on a LOT longer lol)