Any good mental builds without invisibilty?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by JeanGrey, Nov 22, 2023.

1. JeanGrey Active Player

I've tried many different invisibilty builds but I find using invisibilty so hard and I really don't understand how it works. I'm curious to know if there is a strong might dps build for mental that doesn't require invis?
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There isn't. Invisibility is almost mandatory for any build.
    • Like x 1
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

About a month ago I ran into a new mental user who started asking me a few questions and I think I scared him off of the power when I told him my loadout and all the band aid fixes I need to use. It's not an easy power and I also handicap myself by playing "as close to my characters concept as possible" so things like Mass Hysteria and robot sidekick are off the table. There are also a few little bugs here and there which can affect your performance. I do do very well as a dps but I can be outdamaged by someone utilizing all the fotm moves or who may have figured something out I haven't. I also don't test the way actual testers do sitting at a sparring dummy. I find things change up "in the field" and what works when your stationary and safe to attack doesn't always work when your surrounded by moving bosses and a ton of pets in your way.

handblasters.

horrific visage-terrorize-mass terror-invisibility(extra powers)-psychic prison-tk bolt

In addition to the trans/strat combo you need the Le Mort artifact for this loadout to work. Playing around with heat vision (with a 200 ord) vs playing around with terrorize with a 200 Le Mort I find terrorize hits harder, faster and longer but you also need to get the artifact high enough so you get the faster cooldown among the other bonuses. The Superman pet with its empowered channeling is also very useful to have. It prevents you from getting knocked down while attacking and the extra defense is very helpful. A good trick is to use your finisher before a boss or ad does some sort of knock back attack. everyone else goes flying but your still there firing away...I like the Energized Mass Terror mod and the Energized horrific visafe mod for you back piece is mandatory. Its one of the few mainframe mods that will benefits both of your roles thanks to the faster cooldown it gives the power and helps build your supercharge a little faster.

The stealth mainframe mod is a must. Without it Invisibility is going to be ineffective. At some point Im hoping for a pet that can give you the ability freeing up the hand mod for something else. I flat out hate invisibility but I can't deny it holds your hardest hitting attacks. I only keep 4 powers in my invisibility loadout: Bolt Barrage (supercharge),Sleep,Menace and pain blast. As a supercharge bolt barrage is your hardest hitting move but its tricky and takes a bit to build up to so its best to hide it away here. Pain Blast is your hardest hitting non supercharge attack. It can also be a little tricky, it has a shorter range. A good way to tell if your in rangeis if your psychic prison can reach so can pain blast. I've had crits for 400 and 450k+ with this one. Sleep can hit hard, it has a longer range and you can spam it if you have to but overall I find this is a good "back up" attack to have. Menace gives you a weapon buff so ill usually cast it the sec I go invisible ,hit with pain blast and youll get in a little extra weapon damage for a few hits. Sometimes I find this wastes more time resulting in a loss of dps regardless of the weapon buff. If theres a lag you can get stuck in the menace animation and invisibility can go to pot so theres that. There are a few little tricks you can use to look good. If the tank goes down lunge the boss and hit invisibility and you can pick up the tank safely (you can do this as a troll with grandeir as well noting that once in a while it backfires). Invisibility can protect you from certain one shots and attacks as well (off the top of my head you can completely avoid Mammoths meteor smash if you're invisible).

There really isn't a static rotation but the versatility is nice. Basic rotation is lunging to a group of ads-psy prison-tk bolt-horr vis-mass terror-terrorize-invis/pain with handblast attacks mixed in. You should be able to maintain this usually skipping over invisibility every other round but if things get messy there are a lot of little one-two or one-two-three roations you can use f youre low on power...

Thats just about the half of it. If anyone has any better advice or knows better please correct me. I've been mental sice day one and I have a ton of questions...
  4. L T Devoted Player

super helpful for using invisibility is the improved stealth hand mod that you can get from your lair dispenser-- you're probably aware of it but just making sure.

Invisibility is a really powerful ability -- it's a shield, speed boost, second load-out ability that clips. All the best builds use it because it's really, really good.
    • Like x 1
  5. Cypharr Committed Player

My loadout doesn't require invisibility & it serves me well. Typically within the top 3 dps unless playing with people that art swap. Use this loadout.

[IMG]

Mass Levitation applies PI daze, then Pyrokinesis converts the PI to terrified for the other two abilities Phantom Flames & Mass Terror. Terrorize to finish the rotation. Then rinse & repeat. Very easy rotation with high yield. Try to get Grimorium Verum for extra damage. Quislet is no good with this loadout since you're not using Supercharge & using Robot Side Kick. You get the extra power back and more base stats plus free damage.

Quislet 1% supercharge generator is useless & Refractal Beam is also useless since you are not using supercharge.
  6. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I love mass levitation. One of my favorite powers. I used to use it before tk bolt for the pi but over time I find the psy pris-tk bolt gives me better results.
  7. Cypharr Committed Player

My play style is always ranged that's why I don't like psy prison. Hate being up close & personal with the adds & bosses especially in e & e+
  8. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

It also drops agro, which is useful in tank-less runs, so that somebody else has to run away from the boss, while you're racking up the score. Or when running solo - Robot Sidekick is an awesome little tank, who will get pummeled, as long as you remember to have the same version of it on both loadouts. :)

Invisibility also does its own damage when certain powers, like Tornado Pull, or Pain Blast, are used from its loadout. And Pain Blast is an incredibly good ST damage power, if you have the balls to get close enough to use it - not to mention that it clips any trinket, or ally and even some powers (like Neo Venom Boost, or Menace), that you trigger at the right time after using it.

Yeah, Invisibility is the main reason my main is Mental Might, even though it's not one of the current meta DPS powersets. I mean - I could probably go Gadgets, play around with Stealth and do more damage, but who wants to jump on that bandwagon? Plus being "mental" suits the theme of my toon, who's a "nutter"... I don't know - maybe that only makes sense in British English. :)
    • Like x 1
  9. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

As everyone, who knows what they're talking about, already said - not really. If you want an easy Might powerset, that doesn't require clips, good positioning, separate builds for ST and AOE, and generally - hard work, Mental is not your best choice. Try Munitions. :)
    • Like x 1
  10. JeanGrey Active Player

Thanks for all the comments and thanks for this! My current build is pretty similar except I use psychic bolt instead of phantom flames just for more flavor. What arts do you recommend?
  11. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I can work with this. Good tip!
    • Like x 1
  12. Cypharr Committed Player

Grim, Strat & Trans
  13. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

The trick to clipping with Pain Blast is timing. You need to trigger your ally, trinket, consumable or power just as you're exiting Invisibility. If you use a consumable, trinket, or power that clips (like soder, Supply Drop, buff trinket, Menace, Neo Venom, or HL shield) immediately after PB - it will cancel PB damage. If you do it too late - the animation will play as normal, or - if it's a power - it won't trigger (because the power needs to be in your Invis loadout and that loadout won't be there anymore). It takes some practice, but it's not too hard - you can use the bar at the bottom of the screen as a visual cue.

Combat ally and trinkets that don't clip (like Orbital, or pet trinket) won't cancel PB damage, so they're easier to use that way - you can just spam the button as fast as you can, right after PB, until the effect is triggered and you're out of Invisibility, at which point you can immediately resume your rotation. It's not the most elegant way to do it, but it works in a pinch - especially if you're experiencing some lag and you're not sure of your timing.

Powers that don't clip (like any damaging powers) will not work with this trick - even though you may hear their sound effects, they won't show up on combat log. Robot Sidekick, even though it clips also won't work, or at least I haven't been able to trigger it successfully - button goes red, but it's immediately cancelled. It's better to use it to clip Psy Prison and then clip it with Invis anyway.

I suspect, that if you play with a keyboard and are good at it - and if latency allows it - you might be able to clip several things into one another (like soder->supply->buff trinket, for example) in that very short window, while you're being kicked out of Invisibility after PB, but I play on a PS4, with a crappy controller, so I've not been able to test it successfully, even just on a sparring dummy, let alone a laggy raid.

A common way to use this trick (at least I think it's common - I don't know many Mental DPS) is to clip a power (like Psy Prison) with Invisibility, then hit Sleep, jump-cancel it (it will still do damage), then Pain Blast, wait ~0.3 sec, until the bar is nearly full and hit whatever you have off cooldown - preferably something with a long animation, like ally, or orbital. But if you have nothing else ready at the moment - Menace will do. Or even a HL Shield sometimes - if you have an empty slot in your Invis loadout and you're into picking up tanks. Or if you need extra survivability for any other reason - like because you just hit a dangerous enemy right in front of you with Psy Prison and Pain Blast, your Improved Stealth is about to end and he looks pi**ed off... :)

You may also consider using Neo Venom as SC and triggering it after PB - it's a very good power, especially if your regular rotation is good - it just makes it a lot better for 15s (and also gives you extra defense, which - again - can help if you're in melee range), although you may not see a nice big yellow number, like with some other SCs. Then again - it also makes sense to use NVB before PB, because that way you may get 2 PBs buffed by it, if you time it perfectly. Just make sure not to clip Sleep, because that will cancel its damage - you need to jump cancel it first.

Anyway, I think that's enough about that for now - especially that this thread is specifically about Mental loadouts that don't use Invisibility...:D
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Oh I'm well versed with clipping with invisibility...I was referring to hiding away a few movement powers in my stealthed loadout. I like having my pain blast and invisibility button be the same one this way in hairy situation it sure to hit.

Robot sidekick is a no go for me tho.
    • Like x 1
  15. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

I thought you might know about it, but you didn't mention any of it in your previous post detailing your use of Invisibility, so I thought I'd 'splain' it for the benefit of people who might not realize what exactly clipping with Invisibility means and how beneficial it is. I hope I'm not revealing insider knowledge we're not supposed to talk about in public, in case other powersets get jealous... I don't get invited to the secret meetings, so I don't know the rules...:) Besides - I'm always looking for excuses to talk shop with other Mental players, because I don't really get to do it in-game - everyone just keeps yammering on about their Turret clips, Circuit Breakers and Berserkers...

I'm surprised you haven't been using SS powers in your Invis loadout though, especially if you have free slots there. At the risk of again stating the obvious - Tornado Pull and Cyclone Push don't immediately kick you out of Invisibility. You can clip either of them with Menace, HL shield, or NVB (or any combination of those) and you have enough time to use another power from Invis loadout, so you can stack an extra DOT, do extra burst damage, or even use certain SCs on top of the damage the SS power and Invisibility are already doing - and it takes about a second, after which you're back to your regular rotation. Can't use PB at the same time though, or clip trinkets/ally while turning visible, so I use them interchangeably, depending on how far I am from the target, how many targets there are, how much health they have left, what's off-cooldown, et cetera.

Robot Sidekick is my best friend. We've been through a lot together and I use it on every one of my toons' DPS loadout, except for the Sorcery pet DPS, because that one has other options. Although if I could,I'd be using both Fury and RSK at the same time - the more the merrier. I had to get over the fact that it's a robot and it doesn't fit most of my toons' themes - it's just too useful to give up. I wish it had some alternative forms/skins, like an animal, a ghost, a blob, or whatever, but it is what it is.
    • Like x 1
  16. JeanGrey Active Player

Do you think Quislet is better instead of Grim if I use my supercharge instead of the robot? Also, I've been hitting around 1.2mil with 10 second parsec with my loadout is that considered good?
  17. L T Devoted Player

What supercharge are you using? Quizlet generally edges out Grim unless you don't run a super or really need the pi applied. OTOH if you have one of these leveled I wouldn't be in a rush to switch, they're both pretty good.
  18. Some rando Active Player

My main used to be mental. I also was looking for ways to make the power work without using stealth, but I just switched powers after seeing the difference in damage when I implemented stealth in my loadout lol. Felt like I was doing finger gymnastics