Armory/artifact Wheels

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Armo, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Armo New Player

Since they implemented emote wheel which is imo useless feature, i think devs could improve the 4 armory swap. And why not also make a wheel with "inventory shorcuts" allowing us to auto-equip a selection of item presents in our inventory (artifact/trinkets/gear/...).

I know its only QoL, but i think it can be interesting for most of ppl out there.
    • Like x 2
  2. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

"Inventory shortcuts" for equipping different sets of artifacts/trinkets/gear/... - that's just armories. If you expect another system for automatic art-swapping in combat - that's not likely to happen, because it would be incredibly OP.

And I'm all for having more armories available at once, without having to go to base generator, but "Hell, no!" to wheels. Wheels are slow, clunky and imprecise - they're ok for unimportant things, like emotes, but not for choosing builds on the fly, which have a long cooldown. If I need to quickly switch from AOE build to ST in a second before the boss fight starts, or switch to a role build in combat before the group wipes when healer or tank is out - I don't want to be fumbling with a wheel.
    • Like x 1
  3. JLAxPOWER GIRL Active Player

It's been the opposite in my gaming experience. Radial UI wheels have worked great in the games that were smart enough to use them, and while they may be more clunky on PC sans gamepad, for console users they have been a boon for decades. (If only certain other developers would use wheels in their games to overcome horrendous UI limitations, like From Software's souls games and it's terribad magic selection functions in combat).

+1000 for radial wheels in general, let alone for more than the pitiful amount of armories used.

Part of why this may not have happened in the past is because of the difficulty the previous team had with the UI - which was archaic and bad enough that Jens was going to have the UI overhaul work done by outsourcing to another studio (from what I recall from way back) before the plug was ultimately pulled.

The team has more recently been messing with UI elements so it would seem some things have been sussed out, but this particular request may be more of a QoL revisitation on that ol' element. Would be great to get attention to and may be easier to do in the engine overhaul.
  4. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Really? So, when you swap artifacts in combat, what works better - pressing "Start" button to open inventory, or using the wheel to do it? Because one of those ways is way faster and you can do it without even looking, while the other makes it very easy to open the wrong tab by moving the stick a tiny bit in the wrong direction. These differences matter, when split second reactions are involved, which is why console players, who swap arts a lot always make sure to have their skill points spent, so that "Start" button opens inventory and not "Traits" tab.
  5. JLAxPOWER GIRL Active Player

Making the case for inaccurate gamers, eh? Sounds like a you problem, bruv.
  6. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

*shrug* Feel free to be flippant and smug, "bruv", but if someone in a raid group is "inaccurate", chooses the wrong build and is stuck with it for a few minutes, and the group wipes because of it - that's everyone's problem. The current armory selection is faster and more reliable than any wheel in the game and there's no need for more than 4 armories available for quick-switching. If you want to show off all your shiny styles in every run - there could be better solutions than replacing a perfectly working system with one that's objectively worse. Like having the Armory Builds tab available in inventory, not just at the base generator.
  7. JLAxPOWER GIRL Active Player

R
    Right back atcha', kettle.
  8. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yeah, I didn't think you'd have an actual argument, why an armory selection wheel is necessary or a good idea.
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

BG3 uses wheels for actions, spells and items. Not only are they fully customizable but you can add and remove wheels as needed.
  10. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Do those actions, spells and items have cooldowns, that may prevent you from performing your role for 5 minutes, if chosen incorrectly in combat? Does BG3 even have an equivalent to armories? Plenty of games use wheels, that doesn't make them the right solution for build switching in this game, when the system we've had for 10 years is fast and reliable. Assigning armories to D-pad in an inventory tab, instead of at the base generator would solve any problems anyone might have with the 4 armory limit - and we could have all of them available in any instance instead of what could fit on a laggy wheel.
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's a turn based game so not really. Most of the time if you accidentally select the wrong thing you can back out and reselect. I keep my bonus actions on one wheel, ranged spells and weapons on one wheel, melee spells and weapons on a different wheel, items like potions and poisons on a different wheel. If you're not physically highlighting a particular spot on the wheel it automatically selects nothing (no cursor) so you don't hit the wrong thing. There are 12 slots per wheel and for DCUO I was thinking you could setup your wheels to where you have your DPS armories on one wheel but space them out if you're afraid to select the wrong armory. You can organize it however you want to whatever makes it easier for you instead of what makes it easier for them.
  12. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

If there were 8 slots on the wheel, I'd most likely leave half of them blank, in order to avoid selecting the wrong one in combat. However, the problem I have with customizable wheels is not how I would set them up, it's that someone in my group might put maximum number of armories on their wheel, then switch to their PvP build by mistake, causing the group to wipe or be handicapped for 5 min. This already sometimes happens with only 4 options available. If we want that to happen more often, we don't even need a wheel - just add diagonal slots to the existing system.

What works for a turn-based or a single player game may not work well for an action multi-player game. Armory switching is not broken, I'd rather the devs fixed other things, especially that all we need is the existing Armory Builds tab from generator to be added next to Augments one in the inventory, which would allow us to slot the 4 builds at any time. And yes - I'd rather they did what is easier for them, rather than attempt something more difficult and break things.
  13. EconoKnight XIII Legion

An artifact wheel isn’t much different than just adding more artifact slots. Before celebrating “wheel skillz”, the devs should just add the extra slots and be done with it
  14. Quantum Rising Committed Player

To be able to switch on the fly to any one my 16 armories would be a dream come true. Unfortunately a very very unlikely pipe dream.
  15. VariableFire Loyal Player

As currently implemented I can't see this being a good thing for combat at all using a controller. Right now for emotes I hold down and select using the stick; however, a few times the delay between releasing will select a different emote, especially if it's the "corners."