No Next-gen Fps Increase???

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ShadowTheHunter, Sep 26, 2023.

1. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

This thread will likely be deleted anyway, but at least you devs will see this.

"DCUO is headed to the latest-generation of consoles with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X this holiday season!

Along with the performance gains found playing natively on the latest and greatest hardware, the team is also working on gameplay and quality of life improvements to match."

So, why are current-gen consoles still being capped to 60FPS? When they are capable of 120FPS and 120HZ at 1080p and 1440p?

"What frame rate and resolution will the game target on the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S?

The frame rate is 60fps, we are still evaluating performance at 4K."

When I read "performance gains" in the development update, I assumed an FPS increase was a given. So if the game will still be running at 60, what exactly are these "performance gains"? I can't imagine everyone is going to want to play at 4K 60, and many would opt for lower resolutions for higher framerates.

"What are the most significant technical and performance upgrades players can expect from DC Universe Online on current-gen consoles?

Being a networked game, we have to be careful about balancing new machine power with player experience across the different platforms. We certainly do not want to encourage a “pay to win” experience where the new platforms have performance gains that become required to experience the game at its fullest. At the same time we are looking at improving the visual and audio fidelity where we can."

What? What is PC then? Are you saying current-gen consoles can't play at 120FPS because it'd be "unbalanced"? When PC players have had even higher framerates for years??? No different than how PS4 had higher framerates when the game still supported PS3? Why say in the development update that there would be "performance gains" then? Is this some sort of mistake?
  2. Ryll Committed Player

This is the only part of your post that matters.

You assumed wrong.
    • Like x 3
  3. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

They probably wanna keep the experience relatively consistent between platforms. Not everyone has or can get a PS5 or super ultra mega beefed up top of the line PC or whatever the latest XBox is called. They did not say current gen consoles can't handle it. They said "across the different platforms" so also PS4s and older PCs and the previous XBox and even Switch. Something all the platforms the game is on can handle relatively equally well. Plus, the game runs on a two-incarnations-out-of-date engine (Unreal 3, IIRC, and the latest is 5), so that may also hamper the GAME's ability to run at much higher of a framerate, I'm not sure. It's not only about what the latest expensive console/PC can do. Basically they don't want people who can't afford those things to be stuck with a lesser experience of the game just because they can't drop a couple hundred or even a couple thousand on the latest console or PC.

And performance gains doesn't just refer to frame rate so no it's not some mistake or lie as you imply. Performance also refers to stuff like lag, glitches/game breaking, game crashes, server/zone crashes, etc. Just because they didn't mean the specific aspect you assumed they did doesn't mean it's inaccurate or wrong or ridiculous to say they are improving performance. That's like if someone says something is very colorful and you look at it and there's a hundred colors but a specific color isn't there and you whine and say "but if there's not (insert very specific hex code) then why even say it's colorful? Is that a mistake?"
    • Like x 3
  4. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I get that increasing the fps would ultimately affect ps4 and the older Xbox … but this would also effect switch ? They don’t share a server with anyone but themselves right ? I would figure changes like this especially going “4k” would have no effect on switch since it’s on its own.

By next year I think I read Sony is abandoning the ps4 I would assume dc would follow suit as I believe they did the same with ps3 someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m guessing Xbox will do the same .. in an attempt to get more people to buy the latest console.

I’d hope they could revisit this then when Xbox and Sony drop the older consoles… that is if dcuo would even want to revisit this
    • Like x 1
  5. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

I heard the next gen consoles can go to 11.
    • Like x 2
  6. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

I didn't necessarily say the issue was it hurting the systems, so much as they want a consistent-ish experience between all platforms, so they don't want to give one platform something better than another can get. Nothing about shared servers, just equal experiences for players on whatever console or PC.
    • Like x 1
  7. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Google "performance".
  8. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

I really appreciate how vocal other people on these forums have been as of late regarding sycophants. It's actually incredible how people defend any decision made for the game regardless of whether or not it's good, bad, makes sense, doesn't make sense, whatever.

Nothing you said made any sense. This is because you basically parroted what the devs said, which also made no sense. I already laid it all out at the bottom part of my post.

Again, PC ALREADY can hit 200+fps in certain instances without V-Sync enabled. PS4 ran at 60 when PS3 ran at 30. And current-gen caps out at 120FPS. So 120FPS is not at all unreasonable for current-gen to handle because it's STILL LESS FPS than what PC is capable of while still being an improvement over 60. The idea that it breaks the game for people still on old-gen is ridiculous. 60 is already pretty smooth, but 120 would simply be smoother for people who have the hardware for it. And if consistency is such a concern, explain how the game has had more powerful platforms playing with weaker platforms for years. That makes ZERO sense.

Google "performance" in a gaming context. Performance not only referring to framerate is true but you're being intellectually dishonest. Everyone knows performance mainly refers to framerate and the stability of those framerates. The game ALREADY runs pretty stable on current-gen. Menus load faster. Game crashing, lag, glitches, those are all general performance fixes. What are you talking about? Do you believe that requires a native client? What do most games that get a current-gen port get when concerning performance? More FPS. You know exactly what I'm talking about, so you're arguing just to argue.
  9. Hraesvelg Always Right

You keep ignoring the Switch, which is basically an ambitious potato. If only there were a recent example of devs not taking consistency into account across the platforms, guess we'll never know what that's like.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...nsole-game-but-switch-simply-isnt-good-enough
  10. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  11. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Maybe what I'm saying is confusing. Reading these posts, you guys seem to think I'm implying the devs should increase the FPS for all platforms, which I have no idea where that idea came from.

This an update for the clients specifically for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. No other platforms were mentioned for this update. Similar to when PS4 came out, a new client was created for PS4 with increased FPS for PS4 with no adverse effect on the PS3 client. Switch and PS4 would not be touched. And Switch is a separate server. The devs only mentioned other platforms as a whole because apparently improving performance on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S would be "pay to win", based on the wording in that interview. The reasons I believe that makes no sense I've talked about. All this confusion only serves to reinforce my point in my original post. Clarity on this from the devs would be appreciated.
  12. Dene Devoted Player

Not sure why but this phrase had me in hysterics..
    • Like x 2
  13. Ryll Committed Player

I don't have to google anything to know that it could apply to a multitude of things.

You simply assumed wrong.
    • Like x 2
  14. The Anxient Loyal Player

Same lol
    • Like x 2
  15. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

[IMG]

Immaculate gaslighting attempt, truly. Have you considered going into politics?

I know you saw this when you Googled it. But instead of coming clean, you went with what you thought was a witty retort. I think you're missing your calling.
  16. Wallachia Devoted Player

The fact that they can go beyond doesn`t mean they MUST. I have a car that can go at 180km/h, yet I drive it at 50- 60 km/h.

There is also a technical reason: the framerate means that some things in the game will go faster for you, but also for everyone else. A good example is a very old game called Quake: some pcs can run Quake at 480 fps, but the game remains capped at 60. Why? Because, when you go well beyond this rate, you move faster, your projectile move faster, and you basically do not suffer from normal delays, including reload times. In DCUO this would translate as some characters moving, attacking and running faster than others.

A 60FPS cap is required that everyone can have the game equally inclusive, specially players of the Ambitious Potato™.

I am so going to make a toon with this name now.

While my previous explanation also answers this statement, you are wrong from the moment that you are complained based on your assumption. What you are telling us here is "I assumed this was going to happen, then why isn't it happening? What an absurd!". It makes you sound entitled.

PC client is also capped at 60 fps for the same reasons explained before.

Mind you, this is more about technical issues than inclusive issues: being over 60 fps would break the game, especially as this is an online game.
    • Like x 1
  17. Ryll Committed Player

I actually didn't google anything because I don't have too.

I am not the one making assumptions here.

You are.

Wrong ones.

Which is the biggest risk when doing so. The devs don't owe you a single thing. No one does.
    • Like x 2
  18. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Wow, you all really don't know. Let me show you all a magic trick:

It's 52 seconds long. On PC (assuming decent specs) [yes, this is on live], with V-Sync enabled, move your character around in an empty instance. You'll notice nothing out of the ordinary. Now go into settings and turn off V-Sync. Something magical happens. Move your character around in a circle. All of a sudden your character has been taking dance lessons from the King of Pop himself.

I couldn't record and show the FPS at the same time, so observe this screenshot:

[IMG]

What does the GeForce Experience Performance (keyword "performance" btw) Overlay say about the FPS? IT'S OVER 200???!!! WOW. NO WAY. [notice how framerate is also the first metric listed under the performance overlay, btw]

Why does this happen? Not a game dev so I don't know the exact reason, but I DO know it's correlated with framerate. The higher the framerate, the smoother and more majestic the moonwalk. It doesn't do it if the FPS dips to 60 or below. At 150FPS+ the moonwalk becomes apparent. Yes, the moonwalk. We legends players have known about this for quite a while. It's been in the game for years. How long have you've been playing? Your profile indicates 2016? Perhaps earlier than that? Oh wow, I actually feel bad for you. I can't imagine being PC and not knowing you could be enjoying higher framerates and cool dance moves during normal gameplay! To be fair, maybe you're a console player. Or perhaps you never measured the FPS with V-Sync turned off. Don't believe me? Test it yourself. As I said, this was measured using GeForce Experience, you can use any FPS capture program to see it.

Yeah, the game is completely unplayable considering how many years PC players have been getting 200FPS+. We had the answer to why PVP has been broken this whole time! IT WAS RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES! CURSES!

It appears other platforms have been being discriminated against, for years! This cannot stand!

I rest my case. It is possible. No, rather, it's ALREADY IN THE GAME. Has been for years. Guess what? Only PC can do that at the moment. Hasn't stopped people on other platforms from experiencing the game. You didn't know even about this, lol. And 99% of people replying here didn't know either, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Now that we're all on the same page, the devs have stated they will be updating the clients for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. This is very similar to when PS4 came out and had its own client along with PS3. Yes, the framerate was increased to 60FPS while PS3 still could only run at 30FPS on ITS client. And PC has been able to achieve 200+FPS with ITS own client for years. Increasing the FPS for the new platform has always been a thing in DCUO's history. And it's always been a thing for many other games getting a port to the next generation, not sure what's so difficult to understand about that. The devs said literally they would be working on PERFORMANCE GAINS for the new client for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. The term "performance" in a gaming context heavily implies increased framerate, the proof is in my previous reply to the politician. What performance gains are we talking about if not increased framerate? No single person has offered a reasonable answer to this. Game stability, lag, all that other stuff can be improved without creating a dedicated client for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. So again, if not to increase the framerate, what exactly are these "performance gains"? Why even have an update? And don't say "4K". Visual fidelity and performance are two completely different things. 120FPS for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S is more than reasonable. As you can see, more powerful platforms HAVE THEIR OWN CLIENT, have had access to framerates over 60, OVER 120, and the other, weaker, platforms work just fine. The devs' answer in the interview indicate a balancing concern. Again, if "consistency" or "balance" were an issue, PS4 with its 60FPS would never have been able to share a server with PS3 with its 30FPS. PC, with its 200+FPS sharing a server with PS5, PS4, etc. with their 60FPS. Again, this has been going on in DCUO for years. So there goes your entire argument. You also said what like three other people already said, so by extension, theirs as well.

Which brings me to my final point, this thread is a case study. A quintessential example of what's wrong with this community. There's no telling where this game could have been if it weren't for misinformed forums people maligning people who actually make suggestions for the good of the game. Getting posts deleted and censored. White knighting for the devs at every turn. Disagreeing just to disagree and arguing and measuring egos. Not a single one of you is a game developer to my knowledge. You don't know everything. I don't know everything either. Never claimed to. So the least you people could do is humble yourselves, do a little research, read all the posts (which if you had you would have saw I mentioned this like twice already) and have basic respect before chiming in, but it's whatever. Have fun on Ambitious Potato.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Not really. One of the long-standing complaints from PC players is that the game has never really allowed what you're talking about and that the game being on consoles has held things back in that regard. Why? Because while I can play around with settings on my graphics dashboard, this is the only option available in the game itself.

[IMG]

That's it. No drop down like on World Detail with more options or anything like that. That's all the game will allow.

From what I've seen over the years, the devs have tried giving all players the same general experience, which means more powerful systems have always been at the mercy of what the lowest end machine running the game can do.
    • Like x 1
  20. FlyingFingers Well-Known Player

I understand why they ported dcuo to the Nintendo switch it should of gotten tons of new players but it hasn't. It has the opposite effect and now we're at the mercy of that bastard of a mistake port. The PS4 and Xbox one is understandable and rightly so. I've always felt bad for PC players being dragged alone feeling held back its a tragic never ending love story.