Friends List and game direction

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I don't know anymore when it comes to the experience or enjoyment of certain aspects of this game. But what I do know is that something is very wrong with how everything turned out because of an obvious issue that is quite prevalent to those who pay attention to the bigger picture.

My Friends List consists of over 210 players in total and only 7 of them were added after the stats revamp. Before the revamp and a month or two after, I saw a horrific decrease in my active friends from 170+ daily to 100 a day, to less than 10 today. How in the world did we get here? I have less than 10 players on my friends list that play this game currently out of 210 players daily. I don't even think it was the revamp itself but the added monetization on top of time capsules (artifacts then allies) that put the final nail in the coffin when it comes to my friends staying. The beauty of Omnipotence gear stats and PvP gear and stats was changed as well and that is definitely another reason on top of everything else.

They never liked the direction this game was headed and there are definitely some things now that seem like less and less resources were put into it. I swear, as soon as Sony sold S.O.E I noticed that this game started to plummet. I don't think we would've ever seen such changes to the game if Sony were still backing and funding this it. You can just tell. Even though it has the same blueprint it gives off a different vibe altogether.

I'm not saying this is the case but my gut is telling me that just like Activision Blizzard with overwatch 2 scandal, I don't want the same to be for DCUO. I don't want to think they're milking us of everything we have before this game's announcement of closing blindsides all of us. I don't know what can be done but if something isn't done soon I don't know how much longer this can continue on.
    • Like x 2
  2. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

I just removed alot of players from my friends list but it mainly cause I went on a 3 year hiatus from dc and its was for most of what you just mentioned. But when I came back most of my friends ignored any attempt to reconnect and then there are the ones that left and never came back. Funny thing now is I have been back to DC since 2018 so I have been playing longer now then prior.
  3. Trexlight Devoted Player

The things happening in OW2 and even Act/Blizz and absolutely different than here and cant be compared on any level. The stuff happening there is more of a Company Culture problem that DiG, as we know it atm, does not have.

Your friends list example is the same in WoW, SWTOR, even FF14. MMOs, especially those of this age, people come and people go. MMOs change directions or design, people come, people go. WoW especially saw a decline during Cataclysm but obviously, the game continues on. They have changes im sure happening on the office in terms of leadership and game designers. We are still waiting for a Dev Update to hopefully see the roadmap for the rest of the year. Episode 46 is probably their main focus getting it ready for Live and what was found in the test files from IonHero. Im super pumped to see what Ep 46 will bring about.
    • Like x 7
  4. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I understand how you feel There are things I love about dcuo and things I wish could get better honestly and I'm sure we could chat all day about it. I hope when the next Gen update comes we see a return of what made dcuo special for more people to play it. It's obvious it's not the same game as before like I said some changes I love and some not so much.

It's true the player base isn't a big as say when this game first started or even when I started in 2014 lol ahhh good times and fond memories. But I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many friends have not logged in.
    But I do have a feeling things will change for the better for the next gen update and also I always gotta give a nice shout out to the new devs and new team and stay strong and can't wait to see what you guys are cooking :) .
    • Like x 1
  5. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I started in 2014 too, and I remember having to wait in a log in queue because members got to log in first then everybody else.
    • Like x 2
  6. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I hope you are right. I am normally an optimistic, sunny person but I have my doubts now about Ep. 46.
    • Like x 1
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Gonna let you in on a little secret.. players pick up games and leave games all the time. No single individuals friends list is an indication of the state of any game. I can go out create a new toon and add every single person I run into to my friends list and I’d have 100s active. Would that mean the game is thriving? No. I can remove everyone completely. Doesn’t that mean it’s dead? No. I can add random names that have _# at the end of their name. Does that mean anything either? No.

And you said it yourself. You have only added 7 players within recent dlcs. So in other words you are. It adding players you run with to your friends list either.

When I first started I played with 5 other players very regularly. As time passed they stopped playing. So I now play with other players. Some played longer than myself and some started playing recently. Games lose and gain players all the time.
  8. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Hahaha oh yes I remember that to lol oh yeah back then I wasn't into the whole membership thing but when I did those log in ques lol I felt VIP how it was so quick.
    • Like x 1
  9. FathfulWatcher New Player

People come and go all the time and although true stats revamp and time caps had an effect and a few other things . What's more key is whenever anything new drops with Dc universe online you see tons of folks. That imo speaks to the power this game has. So when that beautiful next generation update drops even more people will be on and of course episode 46 too.
  10. Emoney Dedicated Player

My only issue with the friends list is ever since name reclaim, I have no idea who most of the people are anymore. My entire list has changed and it's too awkward to text each person and ask who they are.

I kinda wish they could do it based on account instead of individual characters. For consoles, they can use the PSN ID, and for PC use their Daybreak ID. It would also make it more efficient when ignoring certain toxic people, by ignoring all characters they have at once.

As to the list reflecting activity, that's not always accurate. Yeah many people have the same main like me for 12 years, but some people make new characters and end up playing on an alt more than the character you have on your list. Or the flipside, maybe you caught them on an alt they don't play often, added them, and it appears they dont play anymore when they could be on their main everyday. It may seem to you that they all quit the game, but they very well could be playing on other characters or even another account.
    • Like x 1
  11. myandria Item Storage

I agree. Also to note: 2023 has been the year of "catch up" for game devs and their companies. Many games that were set to release between 2020 and 2022 are now launching one behind the other. It is difficult to keep the attention span of players of established online games when there are a lot of choices in the current timeline and near future.

I expect players will ebb and flow within established games such as this one until an equilibrium is reached from those games held back from their original launch dates due to COVID.
    • Like x 2
  12. Starblast Well-Known Player

YES. This went for movies too. and now that the new consoles are all easily available but yet now nearly 3 years old already ugh ... we are still seeing a massive burst of releases. For example, 3 new fighting games that I know of are debuting in like a month or so. WOW is about to come to consoles I think. FFXIV is about to have a new DLC and is also free to play with limitations. And with the writer's/actor strike and AI expect lots of changes. Plus all of these conventions are happening, and all these concerts are insane, and the air quality. ugh. I just want world peace!

BTW - Susan Eisenberg who voices Wonder Woman is in the upcoming Mortal Kombat as Ashrah. Such great voice talent. I want Gina Torres back as someone else and Michele Forbes back in DCUO too! I know with the strike going on they can still do VO.
  13. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Yep, I remember that, back in 2013. Even as a "premium" player, sometime queues could take several minutes. I seem to remember one time as a free player, dozing off while waiting to log in, and being awakened by players spamming their powers.
    • Like x 1
  14. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Yep Yep that sounds familiar! I was always so disappointed when I saw that red queue line, that's when I got membership prob around March 2014, I don't really remember since I was teenager lol
    • Like x 1
  15. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

A lot of games have been released since 2011. The fact that this game has kept the remaining players from every other choice is magical in and of itself. To think that EVERY SINGLE GAME in the last 12 years has failed to poach us from this one... it's unbelievable. Who woulda thought that little old DCUO had it in him?
    • Like x 1
  16. Offline Well-Known Player

If you played a game daily and then realised you're never going to get anywhere in the game. Would you stay?
    • Like x 4
  17. myandria Item Storage

That depends upon the game, how the game is run and the player/dev community, in my opinion.
  18. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

The game isn't the reason that you aren't going to get anywhere it. Your insufferable attitude and outlook on it is going to alienate everyone around you and anyone that would otherwise be willing to help you... well... won't. You are your own worst enemy.