Grail is one sick person

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MightyHornet, Jun 27, 2023.

1. MightyHornet Well-Known Player

In Dakota city, Grail talks about the satisfying sound of someone getting crushed in a boom tube…

… anyone else worried she happened to be off the coast of Newfoundland last week?
    • Like x 2
  2. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

Too soon...

But, maybe, we should keep her away from Titanic Triton..... just to be on the safe side.
    • Like x 2
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

4. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

5. Dev72 Dedicated Player

Humanity has gone to the toilet.
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

Ah, yes. Such a recent phenomenon. Sure, we've had feudal systems, monarchies, dictators, slavery, imperialism, Jim Crow, child labor...but a few jokes are what's signaling the downfall of humanity. Excuse me, I've got to go find my eyeballs...they've rolled in to the next zipcode.
    • Like x 4
  7. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

I was reading about the jokes that people were immediately making after the sinking of The Titanic in 1912....

People have always joked in the face of tragedy.
    • Like x 1
  8. Dev72 Dedicated Player

Regardless of history...we learn and grow from it. Sure, there are some out there and some of your mentioned systems and tragedies still exist....allbeit on a much smaller scale than in past. Still gives no reason to make tongue in cheek jokes about it.

Maybe being oversensitive...not sure, but we live in a world now where people get off on tragedy and failings, even more so than in the past when all of those other aformentioned systems and tragedies existed on a grander scale. Shameful. And lord forbid if someone had the disposable wealth to make such ventures...still no excuse, especially when a 16 year old boy who was there with his dad, suffered the same fate.
  9. Hraesvelg Always Right

Gallows humor is a very robust coping mechanism for traumatic events. It's a way to release some of the steam, because the sheer weight of life could just crush us like a grape if we let it. We mock death and pain and suffering so it doesn't have power over us.

https://bigthink.com/thinking/gallows-humor-philosophy/
  10. Dev72 Dedicated Player

I have said what I have had to say...there is a difference of mocking death and coping with it when staring at it in its face, and making tongue in cheek jokes over a tragedy when not faced with it. There is a time and place for everything.
  11. Hraesvelg Always Right

The "time and place" argument is always trotted out...almost like the "time and place" folks think the "time and place" is "never where I can see it". Oh, you can only do it if you're staring it in the face...except now its too soon...but now its too late! Can't we just move on?

We all cope in different ways. No amount of tut-tutting and scolding from some rando is going to act as a "corrective". It's never happened in all of human history. Someone with look up to and trust? Maybe. Someone you don't know? Never.
  12. Dev72 Dedicated Player

All things being equal, and regardless of the random...it's still in poor taste IMO, but hey who am I to say? After all, the people who suffered said tragedy were also randoms...If it was someone's favorite well known sports hero and/or celebrity....well that's a different story, especially in today's society and generation.
  13. MxOiE Level 30

I hate when people use the “it’s a way of coping!!” Argument. It’s like saying “it’s a prank bro!” When no one finds the prank funny.
  14. Hraesvelg Always Right

Hate it all you like, but it's almost like people are in different places and need different methods to cope with life and what we find funny is wildly subjective. Mel Brooks said it very well with, 'Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.'

There are certainly other coping mechanisms, to be sure, to varying degrees of long-term health and stability, but gallows humor tends to be one of the more innocuous ones.