Graphics UPDATE 2023???

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by IcyStone, Jun 21, 2023.

1. IcyStone Well-Known Player

Been gone for years and I would like to know if there is a graphics update planned for this year.
    Unreal Engine 5.2 is here and this game is so outdated that is a shame...
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No graphics update. No porting to UE 4 or UE 5.
    • Like x 1
  3. IcyStone Well-Known Player

That is just disgraceful and shockingly unacceptable...
  4. xXlNesTlXx Well-Known Player

Looking at how this guys works....we will see GTA VI and the next Elders Scrolls before the DCUO graphic update....
    • Like x 1
  5. MightyHornet Well-Known Player

Who needs a graphics update when we have emotes and allies you can’t dump into eachother?!
    • Like x 1
  6. MightyHornet Well-Known Player

In all seriousness, they aren’t going to do anything major to keep this game relevant. They’re going to continue to find ways to milk us dry until we all quit and the company goes belly up.
    • Like x 4
  7. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

There is a Graphics Update in the works.

But will we get it end of 2023??? 2024??? 2052???
    We don't know just yet.

8. Dilios Well-Known Player

I want just a PS5 app. =[
  9. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

Im confused, I thought they were just working on a ps5 port with faster loads,,, its a graphics update?
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They're working on a PS5 and XBX client, it's not a graphics update.
    • Like x 3
  11. myandria Item Storage

Tell that to Daybreak's budget; Unreal Engine is not cheap. Even popular MMO's like WoW still use UE3 and some use their own in house built engines (FFXIV Online, Marvel Avengers). Daybreak doesn't have one game to manage, it has several so it's overall budget is not solely concentrated on this game.

It would have been nice if Daybreak had developed a game engine for DCUO or hired a company to create a game engine exclusively for this game.

Another thing to consider is game accessibility; how many players will they lose if this game truly ported over to a UE5 engine? Not everyone has the latest tech to run this game. It will be a rough ride when this game moves from the PS4 to PS5. I can imagine the pain if a PC graphics update comes to pass.

It's a tough balancing act, and is why many older games stick with their older game engines; they are cheaper to run, the devs are familiar with it and many players have devices that can run the game.
    • Like x 2
  12. inferno Loyal Player

Coming soon to a theater near you.
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Keep in mind, daybreak has several studios working on different titles. To my knowledge, the Austin studio, which is the one that works on DCUO, is solely working on DCUO. Especially after half the devs left and they cancelled the Marvel MMO they were working on.

To my knowledge, they are not having a graphics update, just a native client update for the PS5 XBX. There was a fluff announcement to shareholders reports that they were going to do some sort of expansion, but no visual ones.

Also, I think they will be upgrading to any higher UR engines. They would probably need to build the game from the ground up and wade through the legacy code, that I don't think any current dev wants to touch.
    • Like x 1
  14. Trexlight Devoted Player

Still looks good to me for a game that came out over 10 years ago. WoW is even older and did some minor updates but still visually appealing. Cant compare graphics to a game made in 2009 vs a game made in 2020
    • Like x 3
  15. Limey Committed Player

Couple things here...

1) Comparing a 2011 game to a 2004 game isn't saying much.

2) WoW doesn't run on unreal engine, it runs a heavily evolved/modified Warcraft 3 engine.

3) As Bumbling mentioned, Daybreak is only the publisher, and has broken their studios/development teams up, meaning they are effectively funded via their own revenue, with the only substantially shared revenue being Daybreak subs as they are valid in all games and at best, are distributed based on active players per game since it's impossible to determine if a subbing player bought the sub for DC.. or PlanetSide.. or Everquest, outside of which games the account has logged into in the last 30 days.

4) Cryptic has proven time and time again that just having an internally built engine does not automatically mean it's a good thing, or the quality of their games will be elevated due to retaining and redistributing any licensing fees. Neverwinter and Star Trek Online are clunky piles of hot garbage that are only flourishing and existing because of lockboxes, overpriced microtransactions, and brand name. Similar to DC, but way worse on the monetization/price point front.

And side note, this is more just knit-picking, but Marvel's Avengers is about as much an MMO as Borderlands games are. There's no open world/server hubs, and you can at most have a group of 4 people in an isolated P2P match/instance. Dauntless, Destiny, and Warframe are MMOs. Dauntless runs on Unreal 4, while Destiny 1, 2, and Warframe, are all built on internally built engines by their respective developers.
  16. Drathmor Unwavering Player

graphics are by no means the most important thing for a game like this its a comic book game and looks accordingly if it had beautiful graphics it would get dated even faster. Combat is way more important of a factor. Now the engine thing is a valid thing and if I were in charge I would take that marvel MMO money and be building DCUO 2.0 in the background and at some point in the future port us all over to it or make it a fresh game. but my money is on them just churning out the same formula over and over like they have been until they cant support it any longer or the whales stop supporting it and the game goes under. I give it at least 5 more years of viability how it is now but who knows after that. with out updated tech most will probably move on and they wil continue to nickle and dime us until that day comes
    • Like x 1
  17. myandria Item Storage

As outdated and clunky some of those game engines are, they are not going to be updated to UE5 anytime soon. And that really is the point I was making. There are still player communities willing to support those games, so the devs must be doing something right other than updating the game engine to keep players logging in.

I chose Marvel Avengers because it is a newer superhero game that has it's own newer game engine, rather than relying on UE. I didn't mention the nuances of Marvel Avengers because there is no telling how long it will last past Sept. 30th of this year. The game's marketplace is closed, every cosmetic is free or can be attained in game by farming for currency and there is no new content being developed for it. As of this moment it still has online access. Knit-picking understood.