New power.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Civil, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Civil Well-Known Player

Yes ik, for some reason, which I don't remember, been years since I've actually heard this be brought up, but like.. is there a legal reason why there isn't or wont be new powers anymore? I've always wanted and still hope, that the trinity of ring users can be finished with black (villians) white (hero) lanterns as healers be a power. Bring people back to life once out for the count either coming back as a zombie (villian) or spirit (hero) and if healed to full hp before 5 seconds, players would return to there original state. Thats just an example of something I'd personally like as a super, make it cost expensive or what not idm, I'm not a dev, just sharing opinions. I heared about a drug power which just sounds like neo venom, but that was closed down with some legal issue. And a teleportation one? sounds like that could be added to quantum tbh. Idk what the start could be, but lads, time capsules.. I can live without them, a power is a whole new experience ya know. Yes, after some time it'll become old or boring or stay cool, whatever the case may be, I still think rage/atomic and celest are THE most fun powers, and I think people would maybe agree with me on that. But not to be a hater, but water just ain't it, and it never was it. I still remember the day of release when it came out, was in the ep area of that time, I switched to it, hyped for the new power after a long time. And switched after 5min, never have I been so disapointed. Now people may love water, now harm no foul, everyones different. But it was just a shame for me, comparing it to what we've gotten before, and Hardlight being the most interactive power (not including prec with gadg or mental bashing your head on your keyboard hahaha). Idk... I think a good place to start, to end off the rings would just be life or death, or maybe a different power and bringing that later, since water was the last power to release and its support role is healing. No hate, I just don't have interests in emotes, or time capsules.. idk.. theirs just literally so much potential with the Dc universe, but Idk if its because you guys maybe just aint bothered with that anymore, or just need time.
    • Like x 1
  2. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

No. There are only practical reasons. Mainly - new powersets take a lot of work and not enough players end up using them to justify the time and effort. Many players ask for new powersets, but then they all seem to want different ones so there's no way of pleasing even the majority of them by adding 1, or 3.
    • Like x 4
  3. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

I remember the first reason they gave was "We cannot add more powers because of PS3 limitations"
    Then they ditched PS3, and still no new powers.
    • Like x 2
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

While there are legal and permissions involved for some powers based on DC properties like other Lantern Corps, I don't think that's an issue for powers in general, though I wouldn't know. The main issue is resources and manpower. That goes for both making the power itself and any power adjustments in the future. Balance, both for powers individually and compared to each other, is already rough and that's kinda unavoidable and no game can ever achieve perfect balance, but the more powers involved the harder it gets on top of how hard it already inherently is. Also have to consider roles. I imagine they generally want to keep at least close to the same amount of powers for each role and if I'm not mistaken they've typically added two powers at a time in the past with each of those two being different roles (like atomic being tank and water being healer). This is all a mix of speculation of how things work and paraphrasing of what the devs themselves have said before.
    • Like x 2
  5. MightyHornet Well-Known Player

Here comes the next dumpster fire comment section lol
  6. Civil Well-Known Player

Everything takes work, even more effort would go into new content. Apparently I've also heared they're thinking of not doing the graphic update either. Anything to further progress the game is being shunned. Time capsules, I couldn't give a rats *** about. Its just a better way of income for them other than subs.
  7. Civil Well-Known Player

Remember when they use to pump out powers, celest atomic munitions all in 2015, not sure about other dlc powers tbh, but celest and atomic in 1 year, are THE most fun powers of their support role alone. Water was a..well.. disappointment, in terms of actual playability enjoyment, yes its healing role is braindead ez, but even that is well.. braindead, boring. Rage, A hit, Earth a hit, Hardlight a hit. All DLC powers that people enjoy and play to this day, and the reason people would switch from some of these, is because of balance. 1 does less dmg than another power. But these powers are still super fun and amazing. It's been 6 years... no excuses tbh.
    • Like x 1
  8. Quetepasanina New Player

We see a power rebalance once a year, maybe in a decade we'll see a new powerset. Biggest shame of this game
    • Like x 1
  9. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Ah yes, they should pull a bunch of extra devs and resources out of thin air for the thing YOU want and think is important. >.>

All resources and manpower that goes into it also means less of both for everything else. Maybe you consider powers more important than those, but that's YOU. Lots of people have different priority orders. And again: every single time they do any balancing work, every single power is more work and more time needed for that. And developing powers, even if they were to do more, is a big load and takes a lot more time than, say, a style. There is a cost, and not just in the initial development of the power itself. The cost is felt for the rest of the game's lifespan. Because it's another thing to juggle when adjusting and balancing powers and making sure instances work for everyone and aren't just totally unplayable if you have the "wrong" power. The reason they did more before is because the amount they already had already wasn't as high yet, so the extra load isn't as big a deal. Like.... if you have a bag with two books in it, let's say both are the size and weight of a standard Bible, adding one or two more will be heavier but not a huge deal. However, if you have 16 books in the bag, two more will have a bigger impact on how easily you carry and move the bag. If you get to 48 books and then add two more, it will be an even bigger deal. "The straw that broke the camel's back" is a saying for a reason. How about you try running this game before you go saying how it isn't that hard to add more powers or that there's "no excuses" for not doing so. You try navigating legal arrangements with a massive corporation like DC/WB that's very protective of their IPs and while they've gotten more lenient than before still took this long to let us get the Superman emblem again and even now it's still only for roughly 6 months. You try managing making the Iconic styles in the game look like the classic characters but not TOO much like them (see people's frustrations with Shazam chest styles). Not that you can never criticize the game or the devs, but don't go acting like it's soooo easy until you've EARNED saying that. Developing powers is, I'm sure, very complex. Not just because of balancing, but also just sheer getting it to work. You know why we never got that serums power? The way they had planned it and were setting up turned out to be just not possible for how this game works and they had to scrap it and do water instead. I don't know how much work or money had been put into it by then, but all of it went down the drain and any power they would develop always runs the risk of that, so there's another thing they have to take into account when considering making any more powers. I am not anti-new-powers if they become able to do it. There are powers I actively want. Frag, it's in my sig. I just understand it's a big undertaking and there are reasons they haven't in a while. Just because they make a game about superpowered heroes and villains doesn't mean they have superpowers. They can only do so much.
    • Like x 1
  10. Great Architect Loyal Player

In my experience, from reading multiple "New Powers" threads over the years, people generally don't want new Powers because they think the game needs new Powers per se. They want them because the Character they want to play doesn't comfortably fit any of the existing Powers.

A Lantern Healer is usually the only thing people can agree on as a glaring omission, but even that seems often to be split between people who have a feeling that there needs to be "completeness" within the Lantern Roles and people who just really really want White / Black Lanterns as playable Characters in the game (with some overlap).

Everything else is generally "I want THIS Power in the game. No, not the one YOU want that is similarly obscure, MY one." If Healer Lanterns aren't in consideration by the Devs for the future, niche Powers aren't even going to be on the long-range radar.
    • Like x 3
  11. GrumpySnorlax Level 30

This game has a small team and the player base isn't big like how it used to be. This isn't like ESO or final fantasy online or hell even like Diablo IV those dev teams are big they can achieve feats like that easily. When dcuo gets this next Gen update hopefully a relaunch it can become bigger. Also with a relaunch PVP will be brought back from the dead. If none of that happens this game will remain how it is now with it's current model.
    • Like x 1
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

I think you just covered it right there. Where do they start? Meeting the demands of a vocal minority? What if the end result is disappointing (and it will be to some, because different people have wildly differing expectations and wants). What if it doesn't sell? Where best to focus development time and resources? Especially when the goal-posts are shifting from day to day, as *different* vocal minorities weigh into the discussion on a daily basis.

I do feel there is a strong *flavour* case for a Lantern Healer, but not an in-game necessity. Do we *need* another Healer Power (of any kind)? No.

There's been convincing arguments in the past that simply enabling reskinning of existing powers (something else that has it's own, separate, vocal minority supporting it) would scratch the itch for a lot of people (so a re-skin bundle to allow Black / White Lantern skinning of existing Healer Powers, with some associated flavourful Character Model tweaks.)

Would that be disappointing to some? Yes. Would it be hailed by others? Yes. You can't please all of the people all of the time, especially with a huge potential development space, but finite development resources.

The reason cosmetics (such as Emotes, Time Capsules, etc.) get such a big look-in is because even the most hardened, sweaty End-Gamer is not running around in the Style they came off the ship wearing. Practically nobody wants their Character looking "lame". Cosmetics sell. If you want a new Power introduced to the game, it's going to have to sell - and historically new Powers don't. Members get them for free, and non-Members can get them for the low cost of subbing for one month, and making a new Character. There's not a lot of return on a very large investment there, unfortunately.
  13. Civil Well-Known Player

Yo unless you've worked with them, you gotta chill out man. Coming forward as an attack. I'm not saying add 50powers, but over a course of 7-8 years. You can understand it. The legal part of things isn't of any of my concern, if they can't find something out of all the things that dc has to offer to make 1 power, then fair enough. But if you think they have tried to, then thats on you. I'm not saying you have, I don't even think you want one, but I don't really care much for that. An emblems an emblem, its there its there, its not its not. It doesn't impact gameplay, or influence it in any way unless you're an rper or just wanting a specific outfit. It's cool don't get me wrong, but don't compare A emblem, that was connected to a movie and for that reason was removed, to 7-8years of something completely different. I'm not saying its piss easy, but compared to how many they've made and how good they were made before water, and they made so many, 3 in a single year. That's crazy, and they're amazing powers, which I'm sure you didn't read. It's about the years, and the fact that there has been an overall lazyness about certain things throughout the course of dcuo, and tell me I'm wrong about that. Chuck time capsules in the bin, I couldn't give a rats *** about that, collectables, find them, nah you may love them, but thats the amazing thing of having an opinion, which I made clear before which I have. Don't meat ride so hard, Making a game is difficult enough, but when someone says there gonna do something, and in the past they have slowly stopped caring as much, and then you hear they want to go back on what they've said, it gets annoying. I put the legal part of it at the bare bone level at the start. I get how things are, but its not like they have done much for 7 years on that front, pumpin capsules, sack the graphics update, and ep.
  14. Civil Well-Known Player

I mean this as a joke, but if any power is made like water, it'll be *** hahahaa. Nah but for the first part, Every other dlc power is amazing, and popular asf, so for sales, I'm not so sure if they're worried about that, well, of course any company would be, but no matter what, if they put time into something, like how they use to, naturally people would like it, obviously not 100% of players, but still a good majority. And for the whole what they cover, I mean, thats their decision, a decision that could have been made maybe 2 years ago, maybe 3, 4 or 5, It's been 7-8 years since water came out. I mean, when they released things before, they were probably still thinking about what players would think, and how they'd feel about it, and yet, they released it, and they've done well. It's an mmo, not everyone will like everything, its just human beings in general. But after so long, comparing to the track record of release of powers from the first, its abit scarce, and I'm not sure if its a not bothered problem, or a genuine problem.
  15. Civil Well-Known Player

Apparently they're maybe not doin this whole next gen thing, I said it in a reply to this essay in this topic. But yea, I mean, ngl pvp has been this way for longer than 10+years, which is why I didn't have a total full topic of everything.
  16. Civil Well-Known Player

well, tbh, I love all the dlc powers besides 3, thats 3/9 of the powers. And the powers I don't like, people love.Everyone likes different powers. But I don't think the players using them is the problem, alot of players use them. I think the majority of the player base uses dlc powers. And they took time 6+ years ago. From 2011 they released 9 dlc powers, 3 in a year, and all of the powers, besides for me atleast, water, are all decently enjoyable to play and are all good in there own right... depending on what year of dcuo you talk about. So yea, it is practicle, but not for the worry of player base.
  17. Great Architect Loyal Player

As I said, Members get them free, and a lot of people using a new Power doesn't make steady income. It's a one-off purchase, or even worse, a one-off month of subscription. There's no long-term return on a heavy investment - and that investment only gets heavier over time, as it's extra work in balance passes.
    • Like x 1
  18. ParadoxVanguard Well-Known Player

It's crazy to me how I see more people with pitch forks against new powers suggestion meanwhile customization options that would greatly improve the game overall such as new skins that are locked behind rng loot boxes is fine? Customization in a superhero game is very vital for longevity and I get the team is small but does that mean we shouldn't get no new powers at all for as long as this game remains? I think not. I don't think anybody is asking for new powers to drop today, but with knowledge that the team is small I feel the effort to at least give us another round of powers would do more harm then good. Even if it takes longer to make then the other powers we have gotten at least the effort and transparency would be much appreciated. Much more appreciated then having to open time capsules that you have to get 13 collections just to get one skin that should already be in the character customization start because all the old character skins need a graphic update either way
  19. Great Architect Loyal Player

Nobody's got the pitchforks out - there's just some realities to face. New Powers don't seem to be a priority. There's lots of things I want that also don't seem to be a priority. I just have to live with that being the case.

Nobody said they are happy with cosmetics being RNG-locked either. Disagreeing with one thing you agree with doesn't mean agreeing with other things you disagree with.

If people come across as a bit sarcastic, perhaps that's because a version of this thread has popped up every few weeks for years, and... no new Powers have been forthcoming. It's not like the Devs are unaware of the request.
    • Like x 1
  20. Civil Well-Known Player

Its an mmo, not every single thing is for money, and this IS for money, so regardless, theirs money to be gained. And they've made tons already, if of the end game players alone.
    • Like x 1