Additional Character Slots - 2023

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nightcrawler, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Emoney Dedicated Player

I don't even get why it's a hill to begin with lol. Limits are limits. If it's raised to 50, some of you would want 51. Wheres the line? All I'm saying is 32 is a decent spot, and more than most people even know is the limit. I was telling a leaguemate bout this and he was shocked that 32 was the limit, as in that's way too many. Is he a bad person too? No, it's subjective. 32 seems excessive to me. That's all. And it gets into how many names should one person get to hold, for any reason. Adding in money to the equation means another pay to play senario where the whales manipulate the game. As to the coding, you, me or Ryll who says he does coding do not know about unless we've worked on this specific system, which I'd argue is a severely outdated system. I'm sure it's part of the original coding from 2011, and if it were easy, or they wanted us to have more than 32, we would already have more.

I just think there's many other things this small team of devs can work on that would help and impact the entire community versus this. For me, personally, pvp was my thing. I started on a pvp server, I built a pvp league, and it's what I loved most about this game. I'd love to see that get reworked over this. And before someone says, different teams within the devs do different things...this studio isn't that big anymore and I'm sure they are selective on what resources they dedicate to regardless of which department.
  2. Skille Well-Known Player

What a great read, shocked it's not locked yet lol
    • Like x 1
  3. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

Let me say that I'm not trying to gobble up every name in the game. If there was a way for us to share names, I'd be down for that, I don't "own" any of these names. Sharing names would allow me to get a few other names that I would like to use. Preventing others from having something isn't my thing. If you've seen my other posts on the plasmic aura and Batman-mask, etc controversies, hen you'd know that I have them to enjoy them, not to prevent others from using them. I hate exclusivity.

And, just some clarification about what I said in the beginning of the thread.

That was wrong. We have experienced increases. But it's been awhile.

When the game first began in 2011, you started out with I think 8 or maybe 12 characters if you bought the game, 2-4 if you got a code to try it out. When it went free-to-play, members got bumped to 16, with free getting 2 and premium getting 6. At that time, I don't think the upper limit was 32, it might have been 24 or 28, as I distinctly recall having an increase later on and adding more to make it 32 (or for those lucky few that got 33).

The point is, they have "raised" the upper limit for members to purchase character slots in the past. And it's my hope they will increase it in the future. Mepps did say back in the Discord chat days that he didn't see why we couldn't increase the number of character slots a member can buy.

And that's the point, "buying." We're talking about people paying into and contributing financially to this game. Right now, "free" players have more of an alt benefit than members. You can create an unlimited amount of characters and horde every name for free. Members should be able to get more for their money. And buying a new character slot isn't "free," either.

In fact, I now think we're being too differential asking for only 4 more slots to be added. I want the limit raised to 52.

52 is a number significant to the IP. DC has had a weekly series by that title. The New 52, was a relaunch of DC in 2011 (the same year that started this game) with 52 regular titles a month. Multiversity revealed that the Multiverse still existed with 52 alternate universes.

So to tie us back into the DCU, I think the upper limit on how many character slots a member can make should be 52, not 32.
  4. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

il take more toon slots. also wouldnt say no to Shared Bank getting some slot love..... wait that didnt sound right.... but yall get what im saying more shared bank space would be freaking awesome
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

32 is a suspicious number - being a power of 2, it smells a lot like "we only allotted 6 bits to track the number of characters per account."

I'm not saying that is the case, but it's a possibility :(.
    • Like x 1
  6. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

and here i thought it was cuz they didnt get the roided out hamsters to power the server lol