Additional Character Slots - 2023

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nightcrawler, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I said at first glance... And that I could be wrong... Touchy much?

You might not do that but the hoarders will sure love your idea.
    • Like x 3
  2. Emoney Dedicated Player

Yeah but are you really entitled to hold on to that many names? When you've even said you aren't going to play on some of them. It's not hard to make that leap about the name reclaim, text messages can be taken many ways when you don't have context of tone and intent...as was demonstrated by the reaction to my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No one is entitled to game the system, or hold out on others.

Asking for a 33rd name, or more, when a new player can't even get one, is the issue. So it does effect others, some of you are just not wanting to see that.
  3. Proxystar #Perception

I was actually more pleased with the name reclaim than I thought I would be. I was actually really surprised so many names came available. As I said the other day, it was probably helped by this communities obsession with single syllable dictionary words they were all off fighting over "Pony" (sorry that might have been 2 syllables) while the real names were being snatched up.
    • Like x 4
  4. Proxystar #Perception

He's entitled to hold on to every single name he has, that is exactly how it works, entitlement is suggesting otherwise.
    • Like x 4
  5. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I don't have an issue with people having a lot of names or slots, I only have an issue with those that take the names with intent to sell or purposely hold them so others can not have it.

It might not be anyone in this thread, but it IS an ongoing current issue/trend in the game. So it's easily to accidentally assume someone asking for more slots as an ulterior motive at first glance.
    • Like x 1
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

She was replying directly to someone who said to name another MMO that allows 32 toons. That isn't saying DC needs to be like those games, it's just answering a direct question.
    • Like x 5
  7. Emoney Dedicated Player

I mean there are limits for a reason though. I don't understand the hate and refusal to see this. 32 is a reasonable limit. I have 17, and only 8 are end game, my main is max cr, the rest are 405 to 410. There's barely enough time in the day to run all 8 toons through everything, I know this because some days off I've tried. On top of that, there's 15 powers, 32 allows you to have one of each power both factions with 2 left over. The argument of running all those toons is disingenuous. And on the flip side, where I'm coming from, we need new players and names available. If everyone could have more than 32, say 50 or 100, it quickly skews for the whales to have everything, and new people get nothing. Think about how quickly that escalates if the limit is 50, 10 players could hold 500 names. There are thousands of players here, its not just us forum players ya know.
  8. Emoney Dedicated Player

On that direct context yes.

But very often I see certain players, over and over say another game has this feature, DCUO needs it too. That's not the best approach for a unique game.
    • Like x 1
  9. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yaaasss, I'm a character creation and designing addict! I've had to resort to armories, but not all my ideas have existing toons that would work as bases for them.
    • Like x 3
  10. myandria Item Storage

Games can have characteristics of other games and still retain their uniqueness. It is very common that MMO's "borrow" elements of other MMO's adding to and expanding their games. It is part of how MMO's grow, adapt and evolve. DCUO will ALWAYS be unique because it is the ONLY superhero MMO game that is fully licensed by WB/DC. Nothing the devs add or take away from the game will change that fact. If the devs bump up the character slot offering, will that make DCUO similar to other MMO's? No.
    • Like x 4
  11. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Hmm.... for some reason I was thinking there were four. I think I am getting my MMOs mixed up. I do have my blonde moments at times lol.
    • Like x 3
  12. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

We don't want 100 slots... that is crazy talk.... :eek:

We want 1000 slots..... for a dollar. ;) ;)
    • Like x 4
  13. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

[IMG]

One Dollar ……
    • Like x 2
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I don't disagree with you on the subject. Although, I'm sure there are features that DC could benefit from, some are just not applicable here. I'm not sure more character slots is one of those things though. I mainly disagree when people want to site the way other games do powers and attacks. Some games that have better options also don't have the same combat style, so those changes might change the very thing that a lot of enjoy when playing THIS game.

I'm with you on your objection to THOSE kinds of comparisons.
  15. Ryll Committed Player

So there are a few things in this thread that don't make sense to me.

Name sellers are about making money.

It has been sighted in this thread that making multiple accounts is a cheaper way to get additional character slots.

So why......as a name seller....would they purchase additional character slots and not just make multiple accounts?

-Buying any additional character slots cuts into profit margins.
    -Essentially all their eggs are in 1 basket. 1 account with 20 names getting banned would possibly be a larger loss than 1 account with 2 names saved on it.

Increasing the amount of character slots that we can purchase is not a feature even worth noting when bringing up any concerns about being similar to other MMO's. I can't speak for anyone hear but when I started playing DCUO the amount of characters I could have didn't even enter into the same solar system of the thought process for my desire to play. it was almost a complete and utter non-factor.

Preventing something that would have little to non-existent impact on the name selling market is like not going outside because I might see a mosquito. It has already been mentioned several times that making an account is easy...not only for players but *also* for name sellers.

If the player with 76 characters is active, why should I care how many of their characters do they play? I don't pay for their membership so I have no say in how they go about structuring their free time to game.

Why are most people referring to names like they are ours? Why are most people talking about accounts like they are ours?

They aren't ours. We essentially rent them from the game.

If someone wants to buy an extra 49 slots for characters? Fill your boots I say.

As someone who whas actually worked on and helped produce games I would be baffled if the coding involved was anything beyond changing a variable to a higher value setting maximum characters on a single account.

Increasing other counts like the amount of base items we can place in our lairs didn't cause the game to meltdown and again, I would be at a complete loss of words if the process was any more complicated for character slots.

Actually, mentioning the base item counts, there were a couple of increases in short order to total items we could have in our lairs. Frankly, it probably had a much larger chance of causing issues with the game because it actually affects a players loading time into their lairs. Looking at the character screen before with more characters would do nothing for overall game performance because none of them are even loaded into the game yet.

It really does seem like the naysayers are here for nothing other than saying no because it's a change.
    • Like x 5
  16. Achikah All About That Base

+1, I'd very much appreciate more character slots.

I've been at 32 for sometime now and have been looking to make a few more for the past year or so. True, I don't play on each of my characters every day, some I don't hop on for months at a time, but the best thing about DCUO for me is the ability to customize unique characters, build their own space and backstory, and interact with the virtual world when/how I'd like.

I'm sure most of you know by now I love base decoration and each of my bases are constructed with a specific character in mind. Yes, each character can have up to 8 bases now, which is awesome, but some ideas I have don't go with my current roster and it's immensely more fun to take a base concept and have a character who operates or lives in it to add to said concept. So, I'll make a new one, or did until I ran out. There's a lot of extra work that goes into building this way- each new character is essentially starting from scratch with limited furniture pools since consumed items are character locked. However, it's more rewarding and worth the effort because while a character can spawn from a base idea, those same characters and how they'd interact with the base really helps me create more detailed spaces and scenes through the build.

On top of this, I wouldn't say no to more characters for extra inventory space. Given everything above, it's no surprise I keep a lot of base items to consistently decorate throughout the year, while also aiding the building community with their bases and housing Base Off prizes. So, until all base items are stackable like exos, boxes, soders, etc, I'll never say no to more inventory space too.

And before someone says make a second account, that second account wouldn't have access to my styles to unlock, wouldn't be subbed to have all the powers unlocked, and wouldn't have the base themes/amenities/etc I've purchased in the marketplace either, so that whole customizable idea that compels me to create would be null and void to someone like me.

In short, if someone wants to buy more spots and enjoy the game how they want to, and it's not hindering the game or anyone else, I see no problem with it.
    • Like x 5
  17. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Afraid you know wrong. I have multiple characters, not to get items, but to give me more variety in the game - if I feel like I need a break from it, I switch to a different character instead, and it becomes fresh again.

Also note that my having multiple characters doesn't affect anybody else's game experience in any way, so why would somebody object to it?
    • Like x 4
  18. Emoney Dedicated Player

I have multiple characters too, again, I said I had 17...which is more than enough that I can play with. We are talking about having 32 characters and wanting more, is that you, do you have 32?

Yes my previous statement was a generalization. There's always people that have good intentions. This thread showcases like 10 people that say they build stories, and bases Yada Yada. Does a system need to be reworked for that small minority? And for everyone of them, there are plenty more people that would abuse this to hold out on others, and sell names. Look at trade chat the past week. I stand by my OPINION that 32 is enough, and we don't need development resources for this. Like it or leave it, whatever. It's just my opinion I'm not here just to upset certain people lol. We all have opinions, that's what this place is for. No one opinion should hold more weight than others.
  19. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

I have 31. But I have ideas for numbers 32 and 33. The only reason I haven't built another yet is because I can't decide which of the two ideas I prefer.

As others have said, the development resources for this might be as trivial as spending two minutes changing a single variable in the code.
    • Like x 2
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, but what's happening in trade has nothing to do with 32+ slots more than likely. I'd guess most name hoarders and sellers are doing exactly what you suggested, which is setting up additional accounts and probably spending 5$ on them to get 6 toons. It's the most cost effective strategy, but won't really help if someone genuinely wanted more than 32 of their 'own' toons, even IF they only want to play 2 or 3 at any given stretch of time.

Are there tons of people who need 33+? Probably not, but if the fear is that it will help hoarders, you'd be better off lobbying against people having unlimited free/premium accounts.

However....you are entitled to your opinion. Just as everyone else is entitled to disagree. Just a weird hill to make a stand on.