Additional Character Slots - 2023

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nightcrawler, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Emoney Dedicated Player

Like zero to 100 in one post, she took that completely wrong I guess.
  2. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

The work involved is changing a number from 32 to something else, like 36. We've seen accounts with more than 32 (some lucky players have 33), so it's not a programing issue.

IF you read the op then you'd know that creating extra accounts isn't the solution that you make it out to be. This doesn't even affect anyone that's not interested. If I have 32 or 36 characters on an account, your day or game play doesn't change one bit, so I don't know why you even need an opinion. When I'm not interested in a topic, I usually ignore it as it doesn't affect me.

In fact, the more I think about it , the more it helps everyone as it means more game-time for people like me and more people for groups and instances.
    • Like x 1
  3. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I might be wrong completely, but at first glance the OP seemed to say "I loaded my account up with names to sell after the reclaim, so I need more slots for characters to actually play and not hoard/keep away from others that could use them" XD
    • Like x 4
  4. Eve YouTuber

Personally I got the 2 names I wanted for 2 main characters and I didn't need more. I did save a non-special characters variants of my characters names on alt account so I can get to them when I have a few name change tokens. But as I don't sell names, It isn't really the issue\struggle for me. I'm not sure OP meant this aswell lol
    • Like x 1
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

As a multi account player myself, I can attest that it's easy to add more accounts (too easy if you lack willpower and just keep making them:oops:), however your 'double your accounts, double your characters' is over simplified. A new account has 2 slots, and a member with maxed has 32. That's about +7% toons 'added'...far from double. If you spend the 5$ to go premium you get 6, or about +20%. If you went member for $10 a month (let's assume annual membership), you'd get 16, so +50%. You'd have to add on all that AND 16 more a-la-carte slots around $145 one time cost....and at that point, you'd be on a fresh account. No styles, no SP, not much of anything save maybe 1 CR skip if you started the account during anniversary.

Unless there is a technical reason, I see no problem with expanding the character slots allowed....and believe me, I'll still make new accounts vs buying more toon slots (if available)...but to make it sound like they are the same is not being accurate.
    • Like x 5
  6. Eve YouTuber

I really doubt adding 3-4 character slots will take 99% of their development time and is super hard for them as It's already available for the Devs themselves. I prefer slots, but this is me and my prefer way to play. Either options shouldn't contradict each other in my eyes.
  7. Proxystar #Perception

The graphics are bad outside and I just have a bucket of water and sponge by my desk.
    • Like x 3
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Nah you were toxic from the outset, literally dogging on people as to why they need more than 32 characters and how any desire to do so amounted to no lifing it, like it was any of your business and such a request was an affront to your existence, Zoe was right to call you out.

I fully endorse this thread request by the way, if people want to pay for more slots, let them.
    • Like x 5
  9. comrade sonya Committed Player

This wouldn’t benefit me but I don’t see why it would be a problem. I say increase the max to 50!
    • Like x 2
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

As many things in this game, it could just be an arbitrary number chosen whenever things are launched. It might just be a matter of not wanting to mess with stuff for fear it messes things up.

I'd find it very easy to believe that when the game launched with what....8 powers? They might have though..."well...32 slots. Who'd ever need more than that?" and set the number for 'max'. It's worth at least discussing, and I for one would not have any need of it personally. But I agree with Proxy. If you or RedWave or whoever want 100 toons enough to buy 68 more slots at $10 each, more power to you. Less money they will be looking for from me.

EDIT: Although on the topic of arbitrary 'max' numbers.....more inventory and bank slots...can I has plz?
    [IMG]
    • Like x 6
  11. Proxystar #Perception

It's probably just a resourcing maintenance type issue where they don't want to manage more than 32 characters, I suspect its utterly trivial and could probably be altered by increasing a number somewhere lol.

I highly doubt the game will explode at all upon allowing the 33rd character :D
    • Like x 2
  12. Emoney Dedicated Player

Well honestly, initially, it's cheaper though. Making a new account gets you two more slots for free. Then, for the same cost as one character slot, you get 4 more.

I agree though to the sp and such, but someone who has that many toons, especially referenced earlier, isn't trying to max out stats, or even play and build regularly...some here even stated it's about variety, not progression.

My point of all this, and why I commented, was from the perspective of the new name reclaim. Everyone trying to hoard names after complaining there weren't very many choices out there. It's been a few days and we are already back to that point over greed. And further, why tie up a name if you're only using it for the purpose of farming base items when someone else would want the name to progress a main toon.
    • Like x 1
  13. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

That makes since because 4 mentors times 8 powers = 32 slots. I wonder why they didn’t go with 64 originally? 4 Villain mentors + 4 Hero mentors times 8 powers = 64 slots.

If players want 100 slots, it would great if they could be accommodated. I am guessing this would be outside of a membership perk?
    • Like x 1
  14. myandria Item Storage

Champions Online AND City of Heroes Homecoming let you have 100 character slots per account.
    • Like x 2
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, but I'd rather see a 'good' name off a 100% dead account and in the hands of a name seller where it might get to someone who wants it vs just being locked up forever. Personally I'd never spend a nickel on one, but if those that are inclined to do so, at least now they can...even if it costs a ton of money. When they were on dead accounts the option was not even there.

The name claim was a success as much as it ever was going to be...hoarders and all. And from a few other threads it does sound like SOME people got SOME names they desired....so it's not all the greedy hoarders.

My comment was, however, just addressing that adding more accounts is not the same as adding more slots. Again, I have 10+ accounts, all maxed premiums and 2 accounts with past subs at 16 each (10 in cold storage)...I'm very familiar with the practice, even though mine were not created for the purpose of hoarding names.

As far as the initial cost, yeah...making separate accounts IS cheaper for hoarding and farming(this is what I use them for), however I don't think the bulk of the requestors are the hoarders...more the alt-aholics.
    • Like x 2
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

There's only 3 mentors each side. If you wanted to apply that math, it would be 48. 6 mentors and 8 powers(assuming it was 8....I wasn't around at launch).

But yeah. It might have been as easy as SOME multiple of 8 they pulled out of their.....hat.
    • Like x 2
  17. Emoney Dedicated Player

But this isn't CoH/CoV, Champions, or even Guild wars. Why do people insist on making this game like others, when the reason we play this one, at least for me, is because it is different. The more systems the devs rip from other games, the less this game will feel unique. If ya wanna play those games, play those games, but it's no reason to change this one.
  18. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

You're going on ignore. At no point did I say I wanted to sell any names. I even have changed a few of my existing names during the name reclaim which freed up names, including those that others sought after and they obtained them for FREE.

I spent and continue to spend a lot on this game and I am entitled to play the way I want. My play style doesn't affect you.
  19. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

Except there are 6 Mentors (well, 4, but back then it probably wasn't assumed that we would headcanon killing Joker and trapping Circe in the Shadowlands at the end of levelling, in order to explain their absence :p )
    It does make sense with 8 powersets x 2 factions x 2 genders.

Ofc, that tends to escalate quickly. Initially I only wanted 3 Toons, 1 each Role. Then that became each faction. Then it was annoying getting cross-faction invites when I went from Main Villain to Hero, back before we could talk together without going through hoops.

Now that I finally have the option to have the.. Serious or Powerful personality, without the daft looking emotes, I kinda want to make a few more original male characters..
    • Like x 2
  20. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I agree. Also I find it very childish those that are the ones hoarding and/or trying to sell the names. Something that is supposed to be free and available to everyone. I would totally give up one of the names I got (for personal use) if it went to someone that would use and appreciate it. The name reclaim was to free up names for others, not so broke idiots can hold them hostage/capitalize. Just my two cents.
    • Like x 2