Loot Boxes need to show styles

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AbBaNdOn_IGN, Jun 1, 2023.

1. AbBaNdOn_IGN Committed Player

Hello all. I played DCUO for a few years and quit after the clamp. I love/hate this game. The one reason I am trying again after so long was because even though I played for years I took zero pictures lol. Not my toons, not my bases, nothing. So I mostly came back just to take pics of everything so I could remember the good ole days.

I find myself wanting to stick around though. Loot was changed so you basically gain CR from doing anything lol. Thats great. And in the process of trying to do that there are lots of new missions/base items to find.

My best toon only has 190+ SP though and I try to go after feats a little. Style feats are easy low hanging fruit.

But.. loot boxes do not tell you what style is inside or if you have already acquired it or not. So Its impossible to know if i need them or not. So I'd rather pick gear to pump into my augments? Base items or money. But every time i see a crate im like grrrrrr am i missing out on SP.

Dont know when loot was changed, but as a semi-returning player this is one area that needs improvement in my opinion.
  2. Proxystar #Perception

To give some background, I don't believe they can do it with loot boxes, recently they tried to make it easier to see the styles by not giving boxes any more and instead giving you an option of already opened gear in the loot picked so that you could see the style.

However, the community quite unanimously revolted against this idea and didn't like it for obvious and reasonable reasons when it comes to being able to progress through gear which is better served by having unassigned boxes than the game system picking it for you, so it was changed back.

Until they change the tech or find a way to show the style in a box it's probably not changing.
    • Like x 3
  3. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Im in the camp that agreed fully with green an blue being pre-opened to see style. Anyone using those in any functional capacity for stats has bigger issues tbh. The cr an stat gain is too minimal. To me, the kill isint worth the hunt. That very temporary an minimal stat gain vs the permanant sp gain from getting a style u need is just obviously short sighted to me.
    Purple sure, it helps enough. Leave it unattuned to appease those who actually understand the game. At a min, unattune green to appease the short sighted.
    Them changing it back was stupid. Plain an simple
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

The majority disagreed with you.
  5. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Thats fine, we are all entitled to our own opinions.
    To me it was best of both worlds. Some attuned to help complete style feats and the better more useable gear unattuned to help w/CR an stats.
    Seems logical and a great compromise.
    Remember that a majority in agreement doest mean they are correct just cause they are the majority. A pack of wolves and a sheep all voting on whats for dinner will always net a desirable outcome for the wolves and not so much for the sheep ;)
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Haha, you are of course entitled to your view, however I would put forth the suggestion that you're objectively wrong because the value in green/blue gear depends entirely on the characters level in terms of progression and those stats can and do make a difference.

Assigning the gear later also allows the player the discretion to assign the gear at a later date when it provides a bigger boost to progression following the acquisition of other pieces, this is even more true of alts that might level slower than a persons main.

So for those reasons, which cannot be argued against mathematically the option of unassigned gear is simple better for the player despite the fact you cannot see the style.
  7. AbBaNdOn_IGN Committed Player

So when I get a loot role This is typically what I see...
    -Something good for DPS
    -something good for my alt Role
    -loot boxes
    -plans
    -base items...

Now if im trying to gear up im definately gonna be picking one of the 1st two items 99% of the time, they are usually always improving my CR.. All my toons when i came back were cr178 or more. So I dont know about true true newbs but the loot box armors are NEVER helping me with my CR.... where as...finishing styles and earning feats would be far more useful to a true newb dont you think?? Even now my main only has 190+ SP so im still trying to scrape up every little SP I can without doing raids and elite crap lol.

So I dont know why people think boxes would be more helpful to a newbie..
    ------

I'll try to take a pic next time im playing. I went from cr178 to cr300+ on several of my characters already in like a month and half... CR growth seems like a non issue..
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Because you don't necessarily open them straight away. what you really want to be looking at is the potential maximum item level.

Let's say the option comes up for some hands, but you already have decent hands, but the potential item level for those hands is higher than what you have, you then take the hands anyway if they're the best item in the loot picker and then once you've upgraded your other bits you've got those higher hands just sitting their waiting to be opened.

Once you've then leveled up your other items as well you open those hands and "hey presto" higher hands without having to try and get more hands.

Starting to see the logic path?

Oh and for the record, I don't care if gear in the loot picker is already opened in EEG (that's early end game so everything clamped). I do care that they remain unattuned in the latest 3 episodes.

In an ideal world though you wouldn't need to worry about any of this as you'd simply see the style inside in the tool tip, but hey.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Like x 2
  9. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Lol it can certainly be argued.
    Even mathematically. Your using one math set calculating cr gains (and they are minimal if visible at all no matter what you say. We all see the green/blue every DLC. A gain is a gain but to not acknowledge they are in fact minimal is disingenuous at best and flat out lying at worst (not sayin your lying FYI). The math im using is simpler than yours. Sp is a permanent stat boost even if minuscule while the greens an blues stat gain is 100% temporary and VERY temporary. To me its as simple as not even noticeable and temporary vs not even noticeable and permanent.
    That math says (logically) that no gear should be unattuned BUT to compromise an find common ground i did like the green (green and blue IMO) to be open so u can get styles needed and purple unattuned so u can get cr an stat.

Its a dead horse anyway haha
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It all really depends on how long you are willing to NOT open the boxes. On toons (mostly alts) where I need the full range of green gear (meaning JUST entering that DLC's CR range....i.e. 385 for Static), I'll sit on the daily boxes and instance drops as best I can (inventory limits), then once I have a pile, I'll open them in the optimal order...0 wasted pieces if possible. My goal is always to get to whatever CR gets the purples to open fully (353 here). While the gains aren't great each piece, it generally means by the time I've capped greens (345 here), I've still got a full compliment of blues on standby and can then apply them in optimal order. I can 100% guarantee I'll have the blue level maxed (349) faster by doing it this way vs just opening them as they come, as many times you get the same pieces over and over, while 2 or 3 key pieces just won't drop for days...meaning all those runs net you 0 CR advancement. You can call it minimal, but there are 9 CR between green beginning and end, so yeah....that's 9 CR.

It is too bad they can't put a trigger in that once you've hit 'max' level (so 345, 349 and 353) things can set to auto open instead. I do agree, that once you've hit 'max' effectiveness, there is 0 reason to not have them open automatically. Having it as an on/off option would be even better. Some kind of 'auto open all gear drops' checkbox. Then people could just choose which they prefer.

As far as the benefit of knowing the style IN the box, for whichever episode you are in, green is always the same style...blue is always the same style....purple is always the same style ....it would take only a few seconds to look and see if you need that style's legs or head or whatever. Even if you didn't know beforehand, it only takes 1 opening to know the style within. And to your point, once that feat is popped (or if you already had it), there is no benefit to knowing the style you will get is one you have when you KNOW you have all of that set. The SP is permanent...yes. The 'I see the style' advantage is also very temporary.
    • Like x 1
  11. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Agreed
    In a perfect scenario an on/off option would be ideal for sure
    • Like x 1