Trans/Strat for Battle Healing?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Joybird, Apr 16, 2023.

1. Joybird Committed Player

I'm wondering why the Trans/Strat combo is so rarely recommended for battle healing. I ran some parses, and I was getting about 5x more damage from my Tactical Advantage than from my Demon's Fang. Plus, trans/strat helps healing too, at least in theory.

Is anyone else running Trans/Strat, maybe with Clarion, for battle healing?
    • Like x 1
  2. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

If I'm not mistaken, Clarion heals won't proc the strategist. I'm not %100 certain, but I believe I read that in previous thread.
    • Like x 1
  3. SuperEpik Well-Known Player

I think its because Strat Card is super inconsistent. I had it at 160 for celestial dps and Tactical Advantage almost never procced. That might be because the RNG gods hate me, but Strat card was barely useful most of the time. I never used it for healing but I doubt its any better.
    • Like x 1
  4. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

Yes, that is the setup I use for my battle healer and open world bounty hunting healing. IIRC I think I used DPS gear and maxed damage crit chance and magnitude and healing crit chance and magnitude so as to make Transformation Card viable for both DPS and healing. I finished up by maxing Precision and placing the rest of my SP into Restoration. If I was limited on SP, I would put 100 SP into Precision and then 100 into Restoration. I do this as Water, and rotate my Bubble shield whenever the Clarion shield breaks/ends. Then I use Riptide to double my Solace of the Seas. Finally, I also keep the supercharge generator, Drown, in my loadout (if possible) to either build supercharge for Flood of Power (for shield, cooldown, and make 4 Solace of the Seas) or, when looking for damage, Whirlpool.
    • Like x 1
  5. Joybird Committed Player

I just tested it. Clarion definitely procs the Strategist Card for healing.
    • Like x 2
  6. Joybird Committed Player

That's really interesting. I'm Electricity, but the basic idea would apply to me as well. I only have about 450 SP, so I did the 100/100 thing and it seems to be working pretty well.

It sounds like I might be on the right track here with the trans/strat/clarion combination, and I need trans/strat for dps as well.
  7. Joybird Committed Player

I haven't noticed the RNG gods hating me in this way. Trans/Strat does a significant portion of my damage, in both damage stance and as a battle healer, especially in AoE.
  8. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

With water healing, solace doesn't actually heal much, and it's stuck in one place. May I suggest...

Weapon buff, bubble, riptide, rsk, Word of Power (or your preferred SC), and shark.

Clip shark into weapon buff (to get Clarion heal started). Wherever Clarion shield breaks use shark clipped to bubble clipped to riptide. Clarion shield will overwrite bubble, so it's okay to bubble and riptide as soon as bubble is ready.

Another fun battle healer for water, is might.

Shark, tsunami combo, depth charge, rsk, bubble, riptide. All critical attack/heals, 340 might, 100 resto, rest into dominance. This shreds hallway trash.
    • Like x 2
  9. SuperEpik Well-Known Player

You are blessed by the RNG gods and I hate you (I kid, I kid, don't hurt me). If you wanna know how bad the RNG gods cursed me.... I once failed a 80% breakthrough 5 times in a row.
    • Like x 1
  10. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Yep. You're cursed. You should sacrifice some DC civilians to Trigon, or Darkseid: beg for eternal forgiveness, and pledge yourself as a Eunuch.
    • Like x 1
  11. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

demon’s fang is for single target not for aoe.

trans strat is a great combo, the issue is that the way most content is designed you might need some quick heals and thats what purple healing ray is for. It depends on the content ofc. I havent really had an issue healing with clarion trans strat any alert and elite alert. Plus is where it gets interesting.

strat is simply one of the best arts, and for doing a battle version of your role even better. Idk whats your powerset but definitely it you have something that heal and do damage thats something you want to clip while doing weapon damage. On top of some hots.
    • Like x 1
  12. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

I may just try out that might healer loadout for fun. I use the Solace of the Seas primarily because it heals nearby players and pets in open world, even those not in my group. In alerts, I'm much more likely to use Bubble with Riptide and rotate that with Clarion's shield for non-stop shield action.
    • Like x 1
  13. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Here’s a few things to consider about strat for battle healing. I’m content where you can afford to battle heal, you can do so because things aren’t that much of a threat. In these instances enemies die quicker (reg raids and alerts). Strat works better in content where things live long enough to take multiple ticks of strat. I see so many people using strat because they “know” it’s the best art but in reality it is overhyped. This goes for dps too.

In cases where you can battle heal you are better of using different arts since things won’t live long enough to get the full benefit from strat. It is better to use arts that give direct benefits instead of situational benefits.

Another mistake I see battles heals too is that they do not understand that a battle healer is still a healer first. Damage is secondary. If group members are dying then you are not a battle healer. Yes, if a player is standing in a red circle or dying to mechanics then that is different. You can’t heal stupid. But if group members are dying because you as a battle healer do not have any healing abilities and are relying solely on clarion and shields then yes the issue is with the player battle healing. This goes for all battle roles.

With all that said I have 2 primary set ups for battle healing which depend on the power. I should mention that all my loadouts for battle healing still consist of 5 abilities across all powers.
    These are:
    Group heal, weapon buff, groups shield, priority heal, and word of power. With a few possible changes.

For water and nature (electric too if your prefer this build)
    Arts: trans, clarion, demon fangs

6th ability:
    Nature: savage growth, cross pollination, or robot sidekick
    Water: tempest
    Electric: bio capacitor

For sorcery, celestial, and electric:
    Arts: quislet, clarion, demon fang

6th ability:
    Sorcery: shard of life
    Celestial: consume soul (or divine light if you can hit enemies with your group heal)
    Electric: arc lightning (you can also replace your group shield for bio capacitor

With experience you can make further modifications. But to many “battle healers” also can’t keep the group alive.
    • Like x 2
  14. Drathmor Unwavering Player

ok so what's not addressed to Divinity but to the larger thread

trans and strat would work well for a might battle healer setup were your using moves that both do damage and heal. as for those moves trans and strat will benifit more. caveat being the adds have to live longer than a few seconds.

but for prec battle healing
    demon and clarion will come out on top
  15. Joybird Committed Player

Thank you. That's helpful.

Since I also run Galvanize, I find that Strat runs HoTs on the whole team much of the time (especially with Clarion). I should do some parsing to see just how much healing I'm getting from it, but it does seem to be a lot. So it's not just for damage. It'll also be interesting to see how the new ally affects this.

You mentioned Word of Power. It's been changed so much that I've lost track of what it does. Why do you recommend it for battle healing? Do you recommend it for pure healing, too?

I've been using Arc Lightning, and I imagine that I will be doing so more with the Static ally.
  16. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Strat just didn’t good for healing in general thou. Most of the time you will want to heal until your group is topped off. This completely plays against strat because of how slow it ticks. So at times you’ll get one tick off before you finish healing them fully. As for galvanize, I don’t really use it for battle healing and just pure healing. It’s a nice clip, but in general you just have better options. You could swap it for arc lightning and use trans instead of arc.

The reason I only use quislet with those select powers is because they have a way to trigger the mega blast (5 sec cooldown quislet ability). That ability does damage that scales with cr because of how pets work so it’s nice damage at base. Additionally it generates SC and when you use a sc it does quislets special attack.

As for WoP. I use it for battle healing because it first does a burst of damage but then gives the healer version of its buff. When you use it as a healer it increases the healing received for the group which just makes it easier to heal without needing to go full heal. As for pure heal, I do use it but situationally. I’m general full heals aren’t really needed. These days you have 3 ways to heal. EoG heal, battle heal, and pure heal. If I need to pure heal, like when solo healing harder raids I will tend default to what is needed in said situations. WoP is good because of the buff mentioned earlier. But at the same time most powers do have options to add another healing super power instead. So it’s more of a give and take thing.
    • Like x 1
  17. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

I agree that Strategist isn't ideal for healing, but since it works for both DPS and healing, it's potentially useful for battle healing, loadout and style notwithstanding. Regardless, I would really only suggest Strategist Card for open world aoe healing, specifically for nearby players who aren't in your group (helps keep them alive longer for some tough fights but adding them to group would be easier, if possible) or for a shield-heavy battle healing loadout. Water, for example, can use Riptide to instantly reduce the cooldown of the previous Water power to 0, and when paired with the shield, Bubble, and Clarion's shield, you can have a shield up all the time. In that kind of scenario, when a player takes damage which you cannot "top off" with Strategist Card, the next shield prevents incoming damage while Strategist performs its heals alongside whatever style of battle healing you're doing.

For fun, I switched my healer back to Electricity (okay, I really did it to pair with the new Static ally on Thursday, lol), and my loadout I made on the fly to battle heal the regular alert was...
    Arc Lightning Clipped with (<) Priority Heal (PH), Electroburst < Weapon Buff (WB) < Shield, with Circuit Breaker for SC
    using Clarion, Trans, Strat
    First thing to note is that I only used my shield when the Clarion shield ended or broke. Second thing is when Weapon Buff and Shield were on cooldown, I clipped Electroburst with Priority, effectively rotating between Arc<PH, Electro<PH, Arc<PH, repeat as needed. I used weapon attacks, as Brawling with Enhanced Shuriken Storm at all times and clipped the animation with powers. Note that I chose Electroburst because I assumed, correctly, that healing would draw aggro from enemies and make it easy to stay in range.

There were 2 Electric Precision DPS in the group at max CR, and I had about 50% of their damage output, actually beating the third DPS (player from my league with a good loadout but 160 arts) by a small amount. It was fun; I don't necessarily suggest this loadout as I literally just threw it together to try it out. At some point, however, I switched to EoG healing to speed things up, and obviously, it went much faster. I suspect I could have topped the scoreboard with average players. I tested this loadout against 5 sparring targets, and averaged somewhere around 150k/s. I didn't try it against a single sparring target because I had stuff to do.
    • Like x 1
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The issue is that strategies doesn’t actually tell you your real dps while in content where you can battle heal. Sparring targets do not die so you can get the full damage out of the strat procs which just won’t happen in most (reg) raids. For example, today I random qued omni and got selected for healer so I battle healer. I ended up as top dps as a healer. That is primarily because the dps just weren’t good. However, as a healer I was killing things with enough speed so that the start would have been good.

Think of it this way. A dot strat proc does 1 tick of damage every 2 seconds for 8 seconds for a total of 4 ticks of damage. So you would have to crit on the first tick of damage you deal and it must also proc the strat tick with the first tick and that same add must also live for the full 8 seconds for it to get full value. Most hallway adds die within 4-6 seconds which is why testing rev up damage is extremely important (yet under tested in the community). If there is and burn you can do it but if there is even decent burn than the art is rendered virtually useless. If you look at demon fang, you will get the full 12 ticks pretty quickly. Pair that with hall way travel time to “reset” the ticks means that you’ll normally have more uptime with demon fang than with strat with it being ST.

Trans is good because it’s always active. Quislet is good because it scales with cr and not your offensive stats. Demon fang is good because it scales with resto and prec. And clarion is good because it also scales with resto but also gives a shield. A might based battle heal would be better off using both trans and quislet. For last slot they could go with 3rd slot being a flex slot. A funny art to use as might based battle healer is either grim. This is because the 200 rank will negate the negative for having pets out which would also allow you to use rsk in place of your weapon buff.

It’s just that strat is just out classed for battle healing by arts that aren’t directly made for it. Grim for the reasons listed above and even quislet to allow you to get wop up more often in order to have the higher group healing received buff. You could even just use EoG or soul cloak for a might based battle healer for the same reason as quislet.
  19. Joybird Committed Player

Thank you for sharing your strategy here. I share the intuition that Strat isn't necessarily the greatest healing art, and it isn't neceesarily the greatest damage art, but it does both things, so it adds up to a win. Same with both Trans and Clarion.

I've been doing a lot of battle healing lately, and I have a slightly different approach. I haven't found Electroburst very useful (it just doesn't do enough damage), but I have the following loadout:

Arc Lighting / Weapon Buff / Galvanize / PH / Shield / Biocapacitor
    Arts: Trans/Strat/Clarion

I generally clip the first four (sometimes three) together for my first shuriken storm, then just PH for the second one. I use Biocapacitor on cooldown, and the shield as needed. I know Biocapacitor is not really necessary, but I like having the reactive heal, just in case, and I haven't found need for a supercharge in this build. Between all of the Galvanize healing and Clarion healing, Strat seems to be basically constantly up as a rolling HoT, and it feels like my old nature build did. Galvanize heals more total than the GH, and gives me 4 chances for a strat proc, so I prefer it, although I sometimes sneak the GH back in when I need more healing.
    • Like x 1
  20. Warlock Well-Known Player

To the long time experienced healers in this thread--I'm looking at making a sorcery healer, but I'd like to ideally work on artifacts that will help me heal but also benefit my hybrid dps when I am playing solo/duo content. So, for example, I would prefer artifacts that are A tier for healing if they benefit my hybrid spec over artifacts that are S tier for healing if they provide no benefit to DPSing--if such artifacts exist. I do not have have the time to level up 6 artifacts in the short term, and I doubt I'm the only new player facing this situation.

Which healers fall into might and which fall into precision? And how does that affect my question. Thanks. :)