I guess all African Americans speak like this?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TurbulenceDCUO, Apr 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

Yo you came thru. It's lit. Dakota City ain't nothing to mess with

Did you learn nothing from those 2 robots in Transformers? I wonder do you have any African Americans on your staff and how did this sneak thru?

I guess putting black lives matter on the city stretch makes you feel like you're an ally to black people. I grow tired of white people looking down on my people with this nonsense. We speak like white people do. You ever hear Obama say it's lit?
    Nvm that BLM is a fraud.

Do better
    • Like x 6
  2. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

I think it's more just Static and his personality, especially given his age. There's numerous other black characters in the episode and they don't talk that way. It's just Static that does. It's kinda like Impulse/Kid Flash, both in general and in the game specifically (IE "crash").

Static talks like that because he's a teenager, not because he's black. Icon, Steel, and Rocket don't talk like that, just Static.
    • Like x 9
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

"We're homies forever now."
    • Like x 4
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

• Like x 11
  5. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

TBF...

It doesn't mean that all speak that way.... just those particular characters.

John Stewart has been in the game for over a decade... That's not his speech pattern or idioms.
    • Like x 8
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I have a few nephews that speak pretty much like that...and they are whiter than oatmeal.

Without getting into the political things of it, if these were the first or only AA characters in the game and they all spoke like Static, I'd say you have a case, but they are not...and they don't all speak that way in game. And not everyone...of any color... in the real world speaks 'proper' English...or all slang...or all with XYZ accent. It's a mix.

Would it be better if it went the other way....having Static speak like an Oxford professor? I'm sure many would find that non-authentic as well.

I mean hey. If you are offended...that's your right. I just think this is a pretty small hill to make a stand on. I'm not sure people from Italian decent won't be in here next complaining about all the goons that speak like Goodfellas extras.

And not that it will matter...this post will be down before tomorrow morning. But good luck.
    • Like x 8
  7. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

Maybe I am wrong but I do not see this happening with characters that are non POC. Beast Boy spoke like this in the cartoon but in this game he toned down the inner city slang and just comes across as an excited teen. It's lit is not even something Static or any other young black kid would say. No one says that anymore. But it does sound like something that someone out out touch with the black culture would think that black folks sound like.
  8. Limey Committed Player

The Teen Titans cartoon was it's own iteration of Beast Boy as well as all the other Titans, characters in DCUO are based on the comics - that's why the Teen Titans don't all look 12 years old.

Stop acting upset just to be upset, the writer for the episode is a black man that also wrote for DC comics. If you don't like, that's OK. But don't act like racism has anything to do with it.
    • Like x 8
  9. Shn275 Well-Known Player

This better be a joke, cause you reaching my guy
    • Like x 9
  10. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

"I do not see this happening with characters that are non POC"
    "not even something Static or any other young black kid would say. No one says that anymore."

What about Bart/Impulse/Kid Flash with "crash" or Jimmy Olsen calling Amazo "Amazeballs" or when you complete the investigation in the mentor mission with Ivy and Tim/Robin says "you totally pwned her" in his mail to you? Or anything Billy/Captain Marvel/Shazam says ever?
    • Like x 2
  11. xXlNesTlXx Well-Known Player

Ok, you got your 15 minutes of attention, anything else? Continue with your life then….
    • Like x 2
  12. Trexlight Devoted Player

HAHAHAHAHA Bro this is NOT the battle you think you should battling lol Put the game on mute and enjoy the game. Over here all mad because a BLACK writer wrote characters how they sound in the damn show and directed the actors in such a way. We know Black People have different dialects. These folks and the actors portraying them nailed the performance.
    • Like x 11
  13. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

14. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

I wish I could say I was surprised. But the way things are these days, someone always has to be offended by something no matter how ridiculous it makes them look
    • Like x 3
  15. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Aqualad as well.
    • Like x 1
  16. myandria Item Storage

Well, since WB/DC gave the green light to have the voice actors perform the character voices as they did, perhaps you should take up your issue with them. If there was ANY issue with how the voice actors portrayed the characters or the scripts then this content would still be sitting on the shelf, collecting dust; WB/DC keep a very tight hold on their characters and how they are portrayed.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else here; many kids talk like Static does, if not faster and use acronyms like full words. Perhaps the students in the school "you" work in don't talk like that; however, it does not mean that all students across the United States use proper English. Some of the most religious private schools have students that talk as if they attend the poorest public schools.

Have you ever read the Static Shock comics or watched the TV show? If not I suggest that you do.:D
    • Like x 1
  17. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Few things make me cringe as hard as the phrase "do better".
    • Like x 2
  18. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

I agree. If you are reading a book that was published decades ago, or watch a film from the 1940's etc, it is important to consume that piece in context with the time it was created. However, current content should take into account the context of the culture that we live in now and adjust accordingly.

For instance both the characters of Luke Cage and Sam Wilson spoke in the most stereotyped (cringeworthy even at the time) dialog balloons back in the 1970's, but they have been updated to the modern world with NO breaking from the core of the character.

What I find disturbing in this thread is the undercurrent that I sense as a pushback on TurbulenceDCUO because he is expressing his discomfort with the dialogue choices in the new DLC. His take should not be dismissed as an over reaction, or as irrelevant simply because some people don't agree.

And for the record, as an old white guy, I found the dialog pretty cringe worthy myself. Most especially in the context of the time we live in.

Do I think it was intentionally hurtful on the part of the DEVS. No. But that does not change the fact that it hurt TurbulenceDCUO and I guarantee you that it hurt others who have not expressed themselves in this forum. While you can't go around stepping on eggshells, when they are BIG GIANT eggshells, they should be, at the very least, stepped around. I hope that the PTB read this thread and keep it in mind going forward.

Yes, it is a game, but even in a game, people's opinions are (at least in part) formed by the content they absorb and not all of the people playing the game are adults who can contextualize that content.
    • Like x 2
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We have, do, and will take this topic very seriously, and just one piece of evidence in support of that is our choice of writer and attention to detail in this episode.

However, the original poster has gone on in posts (since removed) to thoroughly demonstrate their purpose here is disingenuous and in bad faith. How disturbing these issues continue to plague our world. How sad someone would seek to exploit them for some personal high.
    • Like x 27
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.