Stat Clamp

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by YoutubeONPY, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Prindacerk Committed Player

How about a different analogy based on your one?

I bought a mustang and the dealership said it is very powerful and can take a beating. They took me for a test drive and it felt great and excellent. I was able to drive 200mph with ease. But when I drove through the suburbs of my neighbourhood, there's street signs everywhere restricting the speed to 50. Looked at the sign rules and it says that everyone must obey that speed limit or incur a penalty/loss of driving license. But I bought a Mustang that is capable of driving 200mph. Why should I drive in 50mph? I break the rules and drive in high speed and get caught.
    At the court, I argue. "I bought a Mustang. I should be able to drive it on its full speed."
    Judge says "Everyone gets same speed limit. You're not exempted."
    I say "Why should I limit my speed to other cars like Honda or Kia? It's not fair that I paid for a high performance car and drive the same as them."
    Judge says "it's your choice to buy that car. But that doesn't mean you can break the rules that applies for everyone. You can drive in higher speed in areas that allows that speed. But when there's a speed limit, you are required to obey."
    I argue "I worked hard for the money I paid for the car. I should get the full benefit of it. I should be able to drive as I please."
    Judge issues the penalty and rejects your argument.

Would that argument work in real world? :)
    • Like x 1
  2. Tolly Committed Player

It especially killed the automatic raid launch, nobody seems to use it anymore, it was already long for the old raid before the arrival of this clamp, but now it's even worse...
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

That's actually a pretty good analogy, except you forget the end part where the people who are trying to drive in the neighborhood in their Kias and Hondas REQUIRE that the Mustang drivers accompany them. See, when I arrive in front of the judge, and he says it's now the law that I drive at 50 MPH in my Mustang IF I choose to drive in the neighborhoods, I'd just say. 'Oh shoot. I guess I'll just keep it on the highway where I can drive as fast as possible', so now those Kia and Honda drivers....who lamented about the Mustang driver driving too fast for them can lament that there are no Mustangs at all....so they also can stay home and not drive...at any speed. Or maybe they hook up with some broken down 3 wheel Yugo or a bicycle with a flat tire or maybe a kid in a Radio Flyer wagon trying to make his way uphill. That sounds fun for all involved. I won't know...I'll be on the highway in my Mustang.

See for most Mustang drivers, there is little reason to drive through the neighborhoods. Granted, they might form a pack of 8 Mustangs, and drive through all in a single group...at just over 50MPH....but that doesn't really help the Kia and Honda driver who want to drive with them...does it?

And not saying there shouldn't be a speed limit. But to assume it's either comply or nothing forgets about the 3rd option....drive on the highway and avoid the neighborhoods altogether.
    • Like x 2
  4. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

So where's the option to break the speed limit? Speed hackers?
    • Like x 1
  5. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

3 pages in and nobody noticed all the OPs posts were written by an A.I.
  6. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

[IMG]
  7. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Could be, or another one. The 6 mins between 2 posts on page 1 should have been an extremely obvious sign, as well as the format and other obvious things.

It's good to see the Forums get roped into Manufactured Annoyance though, the more things change the more they stay the same.
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Sure. And BTW....those guys are welcomed by some of the same community that doesn't like Mustangs in the neighborhood. Ironic.
  9. Plowed In Loyal Player

The Kias and Hondas will be fine - they’re not dependent on Mustangs being around. Feel free to stick to the highway, except when you get a group together and come swing by Steve Trevor’s birthday party for that sweet sweet gift bag at the end. ;)
    • Like x 2
  10. Rejchadar Inquisitor

It seems to me that the world needs a new profession ... a forum exorcist or a forum witcher who would catch and drive back to the underworld topics with signs of "beaten dead horses" ...
    • Like x 1
  11. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

The only problem with that analogy is there is still the OPTION to break the speed limit at any given time...
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Hmmm. You say they don't need the Mustangs, however I do see a lot of Kias and Hondas honking around here that traffic is too quiet now. Debatable.

I do like gift bags though...however I would expect Steve Trevors B-day party to look like this....
    [IMG]
  13. Prindacerk Committed Player

I don't believe the KiAs and Hondas need Mustangs to accompany them in 50mph roads. They are fine to do so on their own. Some may struggle because they are L board drivers and still don't know how to drive at 50mph or use the car they have properly.

The issue I see with traffic being quiet is actually the rush to get into highway. The game is giving higher incentive on highway drivers and everyone including L board drivers want to just jump in on highway without learning the basics of driving and practicing in the 50mph roads. So they just drive through the neighbourhoods until they reach the highway and then never come back or drive in speed limit roads again.

Now this is slightly handled in redirecting the highway traffic to the bylanes (Omni queues). But even then, the drivers just want to get back into highway as soon as possible.

This leaves us with inexperienced drivers in highway causing traffic and collision because they never learned how to drive properly and don't know how to break at 200mph. Then everyone blames the cops (devs) for not maintaining the traffic properly in the highway. :)
    • Like x 1
  14. Prindacerk Committed Player

Yes. That's why they break the law (rules) of the roads (game) and get their license revoked (banned).
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

And again, this is where inexperienced Kia and Honda drivers kind of NEED a well versed Mustang pro driver. Hopefully they don't wreck too hard in that hairpin 1 shot in TSW when it goes to the EEG neighborhood. I expect a lot of 8 Honda pileups during rush hour.....but hey, you get what you ask for I guess.

I am enjoying this analogy though....:)
    • Like x 1
  16. Prindacerk Committed Player

But isn't it better for the KIA and Honda drivers to learn in low speed 50mph neighbourhood than go into highway and create traffic that ruins every other Mustang driver that wasn't planning to slow down? A Mustang driver who wants to help guide KIA/Honda drivers can learn in safer zone even if the Mustang driver has to go slow. Driving fast in the 50mph neighbourhood won't do KIA/Honda drivers any favours. But going slow and guiding them on the right way will prepare them for the highway where they can tackle the speed of highway by upgrading to a Mustang and won't cause a roadblock/accident.

Me too. Didn't expect it to fit so well. But the analogy works.
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

This is true....but it still puts a dependency on the fact there are enough Mustangs willing to drive slow to guide the Kias and Honda....and unfortunately there are not, it seems.

And without them the Kias and Hondas seem to keep smashing into each other as they drive in circles in the neighborhood Wal-Mart parking lot. Sad....but also true.
    • Like x 2
  18. Sentiency Well-Known Player

I’ve come to accept the clamp for content that we queue. I don’t particularly like it, but it is what it is. Open world however, is a different story. It can be extremely difficult to find ppl to do open world content for older episodes, and I really wish they would unclamp that part of the game.
    • Like x 2
  19. Prindacerk Committed Player

I think this is because the speed limited neighbourhoods don't have proper directions to guide the novice and L board drivers in the right way without a Mustang around to guide them. The dependency on a Mustang to come off from highway to neighbourhood is what is causing this hole in the game. Mustangs that haven't been souped up to the max yet still needs some stuff from old neighbourhood stores and they come around looking for them.

Personally I don't see the rush to own a Mustang to the point of breaking your back to pay for it and not enjoy the journey. I prefer to take the time and move from KIA to Honda to Toyota to Mazda to BMW to then maybe Mustang. Who knows? By the time I get to Mustang, everyone will be driving Ferrari. But at least I would enjoy driving all these various cars to enjoy the rides.
    • Like x 1
  20. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Thinking about it again, it actually doesn't count because the speed hackers would be the players installing illegal parts to the car AND then proceeding to break the speed limit.

So still, the analogy falls short in only one aspect: the OPTION to break the speed limit. Anyone can break the speed limit at any time, but with the clamp, players don't have the option to run unclamped.