Up-Votes Needed Pressing F9-F12 will cause game freeze

Discussion in 'Arkham Asylum (Bug Reports)' started by RTX, Feb 24, 2023.

1. RTX Well-Known Player

F9 works for screenshots but is "overlapping" aswell (freeze). F10-F12 no disk usage, therefore no hidden/new screenshot options, also freeze. Seem to have something to do with the UI, debug hotkeys?!

Im shocked lately, did you really hired the right people?
  2. Stranger Well-Known Player

Why would you press these buttons? lmao
    • Like x 1
  3. RTX Well-Known Player

F9 you would press for screenshots, F11 to switch from fullscreen to window mode and vise versa. F10-F12 if you got a laptop without numpad (armory rebind etc.)

However i can´t blame you for that question, since i tought the same. I also checked if known hack tools would have "important" functions sitting on those hotkeys, but thats not the case and sadly, they´re able to rebind them.

Would have been a nice trolling, but this is more a result of sloppy development.
    • Like x 1
  4. Limey Committed Player

I just ran through F9-F12 multiple times and had no freezing issues.

That'd be pretty embarrassing blaming the developers for an issue with your PC specifically.
    • Like x 1
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

I also have no issues with these keys.
    • Like x 1
  6. RTX Well-Known Player

Could one of you or both tell me your hardware and operating system running? (Have a fresh windows 11 install here, therefore it been unlikly that it would be on my side) Also only happening in DCUO.

Maybe a specific driver, thanks in advance.
  7. Hraesvelg Always Right

Windows 10, build 19045
    NVIDIA drivers, 31.0.15.2849

Have you checked Event Viewer for any errors being thrown out? I can usually find the faults after divining the entrails of what it generates.
    • Like x 1
  8. Limey Committed Player

Assuming Windows 11 isn't the problem or part of it, is a pretty big assumption for someone that just questioned the quality and skills of software developers far more educated in software development and hardware interaction than you are. Considering all possibilities is the first step of reliable troubleshooting, and as someone that has been dealing with almost every consumer version of Windows going back to 3.1, I'd be more inclined to believe it has to do with default Windows settings that need to be changed - a very common issue with fresh installs.

Steam client
    Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045)
    RTX 3060 - Primary Render
    GTX 970 - Dedicated PhysX
    Graphics Driver 528.49 (31.0.15.2849)
    i7-5820k
    32GB RAM

Another thing to verify is if you got the latest .NET Framework packages from Microsoft. The versions installed by steam are outdated and get the game to work, but the official releases are better and more inclusive.
    • Like x 1
  9. RTX Well-Known Player

Ok thanks, yes i´ve checked within event viewer, but there are only some wifi errors (driver disabled) and some dcom registration errors, which should also be normal.

However, i´ve checked again and the game process does write on the disk on F10-F12 aswell, but no screenshots beeing taken only with F9.

Also rotating the camera makes the character flicker, running same nvidia driver 31.0.15.2849. It´s getting strange, i will still try a driver reinstall (fresh).
  10. RTX Well-Known Player

Im questioning the quality and skills of software developers in general, this been just a quick assumption since i´m tired of checking everything myself, there are plenty of bugs/issues which getting reported which prove this point.

Also thanks for sharing your specs, again this only happening in DC therefore i don´t have to expect it to be a common issue whatsoever. I expect the .Net and other runtimes which getting installed with the game beeing the correct version.
  11. RTX Well-Known Player

No change after clean gpu driver install.

Could you check if something getting written to your disk when pressing those keys? Task-Manager, Process Explorer etc.?
    So far it seems that F9-F12 all taking screenshots but not storing them on disk except for F9. GPU memory usage increased while pressing those.

The reason why you dont have it, could be that you´re writing on a fast SSD (Also the freeze take about 3 seconds, should have mentioned that).
  12. Hraesvelg Always Right

You keep mentioning writing to disk...are you running SSDs? If you're using HDDs, that might be causing some issues.

Edit: I didn't see your post from a couple of minutes ago referring the SSDs. I use them. That may be the difference. I'll check disk writing next time I'm on.
    • Like x 1
  13. RTX Well-Known Player

Nope, it´s not installed on SSD (main disk), that could be the reason, but that we would only know if someone else checks F10-F12, since they´re not supposed to take a screenshot whatsoever

Alright, thanks
  14. Napoleon Well-Known Player

Have you tried adding the .exe files in your game folder to your firewall permissions (if you have a firewall active?) I had the same thing happen but with another game and it fixed the issue.
    • Like x 1
  15. RTX Well-Known Player

I´ve checked that, but that wasn´t the issue. Also i have to apologies to the devs, since the issue been caused by MSI Center, which was hooking the game process for its "crosshair" cheats etc. However that was running silent and came preinstalled. It´s a shame that costumers have to troubleshoot these issues just because they wanna push those programs/features to their customers.

Its even more sad that im an indie-dev, i´m not dumb in this section...however i also dont have the time to check everything they silent install with windows updates, for whatever reason it got installed as "important driver". But that shows that automatism or in general these "intelligent" methods cause more trouble than any use.

I´m thinking about going back to windows 7, there we didn´t been forced to accept or even able to disable services we don´t wanted or need. These days you disable them and they´re going to renew the service in the background. Aslong you´re not an OS programmer, you have to go with it.

Well, as many older people would say...the past been better, in this area it really is the case.

Edit: Thanks for everyone who tried to help, thread can be closed.
    • Like x 2
  16. Hraesvelg Always Right

Glad you found the culprit. I had been trying to log any sort of issues/disk writing going on, but wasn't coming up with anything.
    • Like x 1
  17. Napoleon Well-Known Player

If you haven't already, I would look into using the most recent LTSC edition of Windows 10/11 before going down the route of downgrading to Windows 7. With that said, downgrading to Windows 7 would be theoretically, the most cost effective option.