Reverse battle healer build?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Wallachia, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Wallachia Devoted Player

Hi there <3

I had this idea a while ago but never bothered asking until now. How do you think it would work a reverse battle healer? Ergo, instead of a healer with dps attacks and some dps gear, a toon in DPS role with healer gear instead? Is there a powerset that would work best with this, given not all healing powers change along with the role?
  2. Rip Kurrent Well-Known Player

Personally, I'm not sure it would work. Some healing powers only work properly/effectively if you're in healer role. I'm sure with enough sp, it MIGHT be doable, but I can't say one way or the other honestly. If you want to DPS, then just DPS. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

Basically, I want a DPS that can heal, instead of a healer that can fight.
  4. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

You aren't going to happy with the result. I'm not going to get too into it, but basically... the healer role offers a lot more to healing than the damage role does for damage. Its not even close to a fair trade.
    • Like x 1
  5. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Your best option to heal really good in dps role is to get Lernaea's Amulet. By using a finisher you will regain your entire health. The healing mechanic is stronger in dps role but nerfed as a tank. If you decide that's not a good approach then you can use the clarion artifact which requires you to weapon attack and to use a weapon buff ability. If that still isn't to your liking then you can use eye of Gemini. Pop Pheromone Bloom as its a 25% supercharge. You'll get doable heals from the artifact eog and your supercharge. You can even go crazy and add the clarion to your arts. Ultimately its going to come down to what works best for you.

Wait I didn't read your name until now. I don't think you need help lol you're already knowledgeable.
  6. Wallachia Devoted Player

It's mostly that I'm trying to tinker with build combinations. I managed to make a pretty cool rage tank build, but I keep wanting to try other powers. I was thinking of making an elec healer with superspeed, HB and Wrd of power to make him full elec, and an "Yin Yang Healer" with Celestial, using corrupted attacks for damage and blessed powers for healing. Now I want to try this reverse battle healer.

I love theme-based and color coordinated builds.
    • Like x 1
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

A dps build that could heal...
    Not sure how effective it would prove to be, but here's my suggestion for what it "seems to me" that you are attempting.

If in full healer gear, DPS role, and electric:
    Clarion, demon fang, and something that compliments (trans?).
    Spec hybrid
    All critical damage/healing.
    Full precision
    100 resto
    100 dominance
    100 might/power

Electrogenesis clipped to weapon buff (for dot and activating Clarion bonuses).
    Galvanize and group heal for healing, flux for demon fang bonuses and shield. Circuit breaker for increase damage.
  8. Grim931 Committed Player

Might be mistaken, but I think a lot of the healer powers only work in healer role. Haven't played electric in forever, but I know Electrogenesis is dependent on role. It won't heal in DPS stance.

Edit: Just read that you said it was for damage out, not heals. Read it wrong...

The group heal might work, with reduced effectiveness. Flux won't be a group shield, but Clarion might make up for that if they want to swap Arts.

Ran into this issue with Rage when I was trying to set up a more damage oriented Tank hybrid. Majority of the powers drastically change depending on role. Even power consumption and cool downs change.
  9. Wallachia Devoted Player

Curiously, I did have a reverse battle-tank build when my Rage toon was DPS oriented. It consisted of half tank gear and half DPS gear, two DPS arts and 1 tank art. It did work, but I was fully unable to attack on boss fights and needed heal spams. I also couldn't be the tank replacement in raids. I also sacrificed half of my damage potential for survivability. But it worked quite nicely, specially as I comboed HP recovery on damage taken with HP recovery on damage dealt powers (I forgot the names).
  10. Grim931 Committed Player

Yeah mine works to an extent, definitely isn't topping any scorecards though. I'm able to put out decent damage (normally tied with 2nd or 3rd place in raids, and either tie or surpass others in 4 person content and lower), provide group heals/shields with the Clarion, and switch on the fly if needed, between Tank/DPS, depending on the situation without sacrificing much of either.

Clarion and Fang are my two main artifacts, and Clarion is almost at 200. Nearly got it there with the past nth metal event. Just 10 levels shy... I also run full tank gear in both roles, that's laziness from not wanting to keep up with two sets of gear. Helps out with Cog though, provides a bit more bonus to precision for the group. My overall damage out might suffer a bit, but I'd rather provide a bigger bonus for others.

Survivability is through the roof though between the Clarion heals/shield, redirected rage, and the health back from Rage's abilities.
    • Like x 1
  11. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

You can "kind of" build a self-sustaining Healer functionality into certain Powersets using a couple different methods.

The easiest (and most immediately sustainable for any Precision Build) is Lernaea's Amulet healing - the upside and downside to the Amulet is that Heals it produces don't Crit (so they WILL NOT trigger Strat HOT) and if you're building "Precision But Not Really Because I'm Just Using Weapon Combos For Garnish Between Tornado Pull Spam", it's actually not going to net you much because you're using the Finisher heal to pay for all the damage you did to yourself, and not for the damage other things do to you. It's pretty much there for Survival or Bounty Hunting builds, though a solid Bounty Hunting build can be clutch in a Raid you're usually not gonna be running that in DPS Role. And it provides a healthy Might supplement so it can (sort of) pay for other missing Precision elements.

Clarion is an excellent continuous mid-level Heal for Precision, and the Heal it produces Crits so it can contribute to Strategist HOT activation, as well as potentiate based on Healing Crits. It's not a "great" DPS Artifact, and it won't replace an Actual Healer, but it can supplement a lower-powered Healer amazingly while still contributing some (minor) residual DPS output. And it craps out Shields. Plus literally any Role or Build can use it and it's still helpful; you really want the 200 Level version for it to be reliable, though holy crap is it nice when you have it.

Mystic Symbol is also pretty handy; though the Heals are not as great, they are almost continuous, they Crit so they can potentiate with Healing Crits and also trigger Strategist, plus 100% automatic - all you need to do is get hit. The downside is "100% single target", and "0% additional DPS contribution".

You CAN buy Resto and Dom to supplement the output for the Clarion and Mystic Symbol, but to be blunt - there's really not a point. Buy your DPS Stats first, then Health, and if you have some left over after 100 in Health, then maybe consider the Restoration for Clarion, since it will contribute a little to the output at that point.

And of course, the Strategist Card - any Heal that Crits can trigger a (substantial, but shortlived) HOT.

Electric and Fire can both use secondary activation Strategist HOT to supplement their natural Healing refunds from Ionic Drain, Absorb Heat, Arc Lightning, and really pretty much any Fire recovery move. You WILL need to buy Healing Crits in order to make this effective to any degree, though you WON'T need any additional Restoration or Dominance padding for it to pay bills.

Fire is pretty much only ever going to heal itself, but it can be built to generate quite a bit of that without sacrificing too much in the way of output; additionally, it's really easy to switch a full-Might Fire ST Loadout into an acceptable Open World and Alert-level Tank even in full DPS gear (I've even Tanked Sixth Dimension like this, though full disclosure, I thought I was DPSing at the time... don't drink and drive, kids).

Electric Precision can (kind of) heal others if you use the Arc Lightning - > Galvanize combo in between weapon cycles (I use Tesla Ball - > Buff - > Flux, then Arc - > Galvanize in that particular build) - the problem is that it's not a great source of Healing OR Damage when you compromise to that degree, unless you're just using the Arc - > Galvanize combo to support a Boo Belt and a ******** of Pet Builds, then... "an army of pets that can't die". Just, yeah.

Electric Might, though - the Ionic Drain heals trigger like 8 times when you activate the move, some of them ALWAYS crit, and even in DPS role, if it Crits and you get that 276 Health Crit? It can still proc Strat, and the Strategist HOT is going to be between 7-14K, regardless of the initial Heal, and Ionic Drain hits EVERYONE on your team. Additionally the Arc Lightning Heal is ALWAYS going to be in the 10K + Range and will also always hit literally everyone on your team. It takes 60 extra SP investmet to benefit from this.

All that said? There's really not a lot of good "DPS Role" Healing available for groups - most DPS Role Healing is minimal at best and requires some convincing to be made into a useful self Healing mechanism. I know Celestial has a few tools that can allow it to subsidize Healing while in DPS, Electric does so best using the method I mentioned above, but it's been my experience that Battle Healer is a better idea than Healer DPS.
  12. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

My Rage battle tank is precision based:

Dual wield to flurry
    Clarion, transformation, Quislet
    All DPS gear except chest
    Hybrid spec
    Full critical damage
    Full precision
    100 resto (helps Clarion+ it's damage proc + self healing)
    100 dominance
    Rest into health

Weapon buff clipped with remorseless recovery
    Redirected rage and hard light shield
    Berserk
    6th slot is situational: ire for breakouts+little heal, RSK for extra damage, without mercy for taunt/heal/low damage pull, SC generator, really whatever you need.
  13. Grim931 Committed Player

That's really close to what mine ended up being after a lot of trial and error...

I'm running Clarion, Fang, and either Cog or the tank artifact that gives you a defense buff based on nearby enemies... drawing a blank on the name of it but I'm sure you'll know.

My skill points are just below 300, so I don't have any of the extra specc'd in dominance or health. Running full tank gear, so figured that wouldn't be much of an issue. Went hybrid, both damage crit/chance at max, and 100 in both precision and restoration. Precision augs/mods.

I use without mercy, ragebringer/E-chain, weapon buff, remorseless, redirected rage, and either the group breakout or supercharge that heals the group. Seems to do well, but I tend to focus on tanking more than damage. It can solo things if necessary with the recovery/synergy of the artifacts.
    • Like x 1
  14. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

I have "healed" alerts in the past as Electric in DPS role with DPS gear. The key is to use Arc Lightning and Ionic Drain, neither of which heals much in DPS role; however, with Transformation Card and Strategist Card, you can proc the Strategist heals regularly. To do so, spec Might, full Crit Attack Chance and Crit Damage Magnitude, full Might and Power, full Crit Heal Chance and Crit Magnitude, and put the rest into Restoration. In a typical Electric Loadout (Tesla Ball, Heat Vision, Arc Lightning, Ionic Drain), there are plenty of opportunities for your heals to crit, which gives you a chance to get the Strategist Card regularly. There's no way, short of the supercharge, to shield your teammates, and if they are smart teammates they will avoid deadly mechanics. If there are only DPS' in the fight, then you should grab the aggro by virtue of doing so much healing; just focus on Arc Lightning for a "burst" heal and give yourself space for the Strategist heals to occur.

Speccing like this barely raises Restoration and could easily benefit from you wearing the adaptive augments, origin augments, and some healer gear; however, the ability to survive without a pure healer hinges on doing the most damage because it shortens the fight. I did this spec with Solar Amplfier, but if you have Lernaea's Amulet, you could turn your finisher into a stronger heal back for yourself. Perhaps a LA heal can crit and proc the Strategist Card, but it's been too long since I've had this artifact on Live Server.
    • Like x 1