Tank for Character

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by AmbrosiaStar, Sep 21, 2022.

1. AmbrosiaStar Level 30

Last night my friend was kicked out of a raid. According to the chat it was because he was a damage character with a tank build. He would like to be a good tank. His build is mostly tank. In the on-duty menu, his role is set for tank and damage. If he turns tank off, it comes back on by itself and both roles are again active.

My questions are as follows.

1. Does a persons power have to do with tank? If so, which are the best powers for tank?
    2. Does tank require a certain build? If so, which ones?
    3. Does tank require certain augments? If so, which ones?
    4. Does it require certain generator modules? If so, which ones?
  2. GermanM Committed Player

What power your friend have?
  3. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Your friend needs to decide what role they want to play as, either dps or tank. In the on-duty menu you can choose both roles however keep in mind that by choosing two roles you're telling the game and the group you can do both and have armories set up for that situation.

1. I need more to understand what you're asking. There are different powersets in the game such as Fire, Ice, Rage, Earth and Atomic. Every other powerset is not a tank besides the powersets I listed. When you are in tank role you will see a shield icon next to your character name. While in tank role, any power you use causes "hate" which is what causes enemies to come to you instead of the rest of the group.

2. Tanking is the leader of the group, it requires vast knowledge of your powerset, game mechanics and much more. You can build in different ways but the key things about tanking is keeping emeies away from the group and that will require a "pull" ability. For Ice it's going to be Inescapable Storm. I sometimes use a shield in one of my playstyles but that's only because I often don't require them in certain content. However, dominance affects the strength of your shields which is what tank gear gives i.e dominance.

3. Same with number 2. There are different ways to play a tank and different tank powersets will have you go alternate routes such as Fire that benefits more from restoration.

4. Same as number 3. You can either put Dominance or Restoration or go half, ultimately you will find what works best for you. On my atomic tank I have health mods and dominance mods along with might.

Sidenote: Allies, artifacts, pet trinkets and henchman/sidekicks help a lot. Also, Ice only has one healing ability and it's a supercharge. Eye of the Gemini is the ultimate artifact that benefits a lot. It heals you while also giving back supercharge (in tank role and healer role). Take the time to mess around with many playstyles until you find that works best for your friend.
    • Like x 3
  4. GermanM Committed Player

Well i think she have said all.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  5. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

cat has the most accurate answer for that. Those are the five options.

To expand a bit on what cat said:

Ice is a pure mitigation Tank - it deals with damage by not taking damage. This makes them very strong in a lot of situations but weak against Bosses that ignore Shields (which is thankfully happening less as time goes on). Ice has the highest standing natural Defense bonus in the game. Ice is probably the easiest Tank to learn, but isn't the easiest to master. Battle Tanking with Ice is largely limited to Shields - > Weapon Combos.

Rage and Fire are both Health tanks - they deal with damage by having innate Healing capacities. Fire has massive standing Health, Rage can artificially inflate its Health temporarily. Fire doesn't have any Shields (or at least not any good ones) and Rage has a mechanic called Rage Crash which has to be learned and cycled around to prevent instant death.

Fire Tanks, when properly built, are excellent Battle Tanks, simply because they can directly use two major DPS Artifacts (Transformation and Strategist) effectively as Tank Artifacts and still maintain a high survivability with a Might or Precision build. Rage is the best close-range DPS in the game when built properly, and this lends itself to Battle Tanking as well.

Atomic and Earth are Hybrid Tanks - they mitigate damage using a variety of methods; both also have Shields, Earth has a Pet Mechanic or the more direct Jackhammer method, and Atomic offers some internal Healing options as well as the ability to maintain a continuous combat output.

They (as well as Rage) are Combo powers, which changes their combat inputs slightly and offers a variety of playstyle options; they're a little more nuanced as a result, but can be tailored to a variety of situations.

The short answer is "yes". The longer and more complicated answer depends on what Powerset your friend has, and what result they're aiming for. I would recommend you point them at the forums for further discussion.
    • Like x 4
  6. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

1. Yes. Fire, Ice, Rage, Earth, Atomic are tank powers. Others have talked some, but not sure there is a "best".
    2. Yes. There might be some YouTube or Oracle DB forum guides you can look at. I general you want all Tank gear when you are in your tank role. It's good to have 2 armories, 1 for tank 1 for dps. That way you can switch. Your tank armory should have full tank gear and your powers, skill points, and augments setup for tank role.
    3. Yes. I think most tanks use Dom augments because there are no health ones? Some might use Resto too (Fire?). See above answers.
    4. Yes. I suggest Health and Dom generator mods. And then whichever DPS you are (might or precision).
    • Like x 2
  7. AmbrosiaStar Level 30

Fire
  8. AmbrosiaStar Level 30

To: catplaysxoxo, Kimone, LeagueOfV, & GermanM

Thank you all for your replies. I will pass this on to my friend!!
    • Like x 2