Thank you for the 5%

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by nawanda, Jun 21, 2022.

1. nawanda Loyal Player

I have read all the recent threads about the recent Booster Bundle, and complaints that the drop rate for the Premium Box is too low in particular.

But I don’t think anyone has clearly made the point that actually publishing the odds is a step in the right direction for Dimensional Ink. It’s a step closer to what many of us repeatedly ask for - knowing what we are getting when we hand over our money in-game.

However, there will still be people opening bundles who haven’t scrolled to the bottom of the tooltip. I would like the percentages to be a bit more prominent, maybe included in the in-game news pop up, or presented to players when they open their first bundle.

Unfortunately, 5% is too low for me to consider buying BBs, but that’s a personal choice and an informed one.

Just some food for thought. Another poster shared that you only have a 64.1% chance of getting a Premium Box if you open 20 BBs. You actually have to open 90 BBs to have a 99% chance (pretty much guaranteed) chance, and 10 Bundles, which 10,000 Marketplace Cash will pay for, offers only a 40% chance.

I appreciate that other benefits are gained from the bundles and it’s not all about the rare. That is the chase item. But I do think providing the percentage chances is a massive improvement and one which I am pleased to see from DI.
    • Like x 3
  2. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

I opened 20 didn't get a 1 premium box lesson learned funny thing the last booster bundle i got 2 or 3 shaded comic every time i bought the psn 99 deal . so I spent around 350 to 400$ on that one .I was getting decent drop rate. but the devs are greedy on the drop rate for one.its to low.so I am not spending anymore on this bb. going on vacation and taking all my extra money with me.Florida Beach here i come !!!!
  3. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Lets be honest BBs are just gambling what they should do is let you choose what you get when you buy them but we know they will never do that don't we. In my case i simply refuse to buy more than 1 no matter what i get but a lot of other people don't have my self control and i feel bad for them.
    • Like x 1
  4. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

The odds have been on caps for as long as I've been playing, they just don't make it clear what item is what rarity tier. I think the EU legislated for showing odd chances on loot boxes, and that's why.
  5. nawanda Loyal Player

The odds were only added to time capsules from Shazam TC onwards, and I like to think that was in response to feedback. I could be wrong. But I personally contacted Jack Emmert about it and explained my concerns about time capsules, and the change appeared a few months later.

They do make it clear which items are which rarity tier through the colouring system, but admittedly, there’s no actual way of knowing what colour a certain collection or emblem of gear piece is until someone else in the community acquires it and shares that info.
  6. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I ended up doing a little digging on this, purely because of self-interest.

During 2019, loot boxes were regulated in the EU to show percentage chances. Two EU states (Belgium & Netherlands) banned loot boxes & games with them outright. Even now, games that are free-to-play but contain loot boxes cannot launch in either of those places, a good current example would be Diablo: Immortal.
    Around that time certain companies also legislated for it, like Google.
    The EU commission publishes annual reports slating loot boxes consistently and they're pushing for stricter regulation still.

Sources: mostly articles, BBC news, and an overview of global lootbox regulatory changes in 2019 I found here
    • Like x 1
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Is DCUO banned in Belgium or Netherlands?
  8. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

They don't exist on either of those Xbox stores, so my guess is yes.
    • Like x 1
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, but didn't they put '<1%' on the super rare items? So is <1% = .99% or .00000000000000000001%. Both are <1 but obviously one is worse (in my case...I think I get the 2nd one). For augment's sake, they should need to stick to round numbers. Won't really make a hill of beans chance between 1% and <1%....it's still abysmally low....but at least the number is visible, not obscured behind a < symbol.
    • Like x 1
  11. Eve YouTuber

DCUO is on the ps store for Netherlands, I have a friend who plays and lives in the Netherlands
    • Like x 1
  12. The Con Dedicated Player

Is it possible that he plays using a VPN?
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can use a VPN on PlayStation?
  14. Tolly Committed Player

The informative chance rate is just an additional scam to push the sale of the main scam (loot box), you can write what you want in information, it does not mean that it is true, in fact...
  15. The Con Dedicated Player

I have no idea....
  16. Eve YouTuber

He is not.
  17. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

Yeah, I just checked it out, it's on the Belgian PS store as well.
    Which makes the Xbox case kinda interesting. I wonder why it's not available there, but in those regions on PS?

I also saw an article that the legal precedent in Netherlands has been altered effective April this year, FIFA were able to overturn a ruling (& a 10m euro fine) and the loot boxes in their games aren't considered gambling anymore.
    • Like x 1
  18. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

It is true, the problem is the information is vague to someone unfamiliar with RTP.

RTP in gambling is Return To Player and is a commonly associated term with slot machines. Lootboxes are essentially a really basic slot machine that is guaranteed a return. As none of the items in the boxes are purchasable direct, it's difficult to equate accurate value to those items and claim a percentage RTP. But what we can attribute RTP to are the item chances themselves.

The information is vague because it might say 1% chance. Does that mean open 100 boxes and see 1 of that item? The answer is no. It's more likely that if you open 100k boxes you see 1k of that item. It's still 1% and the reason why the 100 boxes/1 item is less likely is one simple word. Volatility.
    • Like x 1
  19. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I agree the transparency is refreshing but would love a more direct way to make profit from the game outside of gamboling on RNG
    such as direct purchases of, item listed item sold.
    but I do agree it is good they tell the odds up front
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Some routers can use a VPN and then the whole line is 'elsewhere'. Not saying that's what they are doing, but it's possible.
    • Like x 1