Friends list is Useless! Do people still meet new people here?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by C0de, Apr 25, 2022.

1. C0de Well-Known Player

My opinion is somewhat biased. I've been leagueless for years, i've tried many and only ever cliqued with two. While pugging over the years I've stopped adding random people to my friendlist because:
    1. I would (or they) always forgot who they were
    2. They were (or me) always busy when needed
    3. Didn't remember what power/role they were.

While I still mingle with randoms in the house of legends, its still doesn't carry enough weight to add someone to my friendslist who i'll more than likely never speak to again. I suppose part of the problem is a long overdue update to the friendlist showing the power/roles of each player would be extremely helpful. It just feels even more so isolating nowadays. It can be pretty hard to motivate yourself to play sometimes. I am introverted and somewhat antisocial on here but, ill still conversate with the passing hero/villian. I just think friendlist's no longer exist with value like it used to. Thoughts?
    • Like x 3
  2. N-IX Well-Known Player

a bit like you I'm not very sociable, your idea is great, add next to the name of our "friends" their role
    • Like x 2
  3. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

Well, there is no need to show the power/roles of someone in your friend's list these days; you can just phase with them when you see that they are online and inspect them then.

My issue with the friending someone is that you can do it without their permission and without the that person knowing that you did. When you reach out to that person that you have put on your friend's list, that can cause a knee-jerk reaction of that person ignoring you because they do not know you that well. It is better to "ask" someone if you can add them to your friend's list and then "offer" to have that person put you on their friend's list as well. That is more memorable and gives more opportunities to meet more players and team up with them.

Another way of meeting players is by reaching out to them outside of the game; for example, the devs have livestreams on Twitch that you can participate in for free; its a great way to meet not only people from this forum, but also from the game itself. You will also meet some of the devs as well.

DCUO also has a Twitter page so if you are into that, you can follow and see what other players are talking about in real time. The devs also make announcements on Twitter that they would not normally do in the forums.

So, the friend's list is still valuable; it is meant to be used as a way to keep track of a friend, not as a tool for making friends, in my opinion.
    • Like x 1
  4. AGGUSTEN Well-Known Player

I love your idea!, it wouldn't hurt anyone to put a little winged symbol of the name, maybe it's better to just put the secondary function, because dps is understood that everyone can be, at least you don't ask user15557 if he wants to come tank when he is a mental troll, and yes, the friends menu and it is open to changes because it can improve a lot and implement new creative functions... PS: I would like the quick chat to be a thought bubble sticker, to be shown for a few seconds. above the player, if maybe it ruins the "magic" of a world of heroes, but it already does the question mark and others that can be put, plus it would make the interactions more fun! and easy
    • Like x 1
  5. AGGUSTEN Well-Known Player

You reminded me that I would like an option, to see where another player is, at least that way it would show the phase they are in, also Examine someone from a distance, or even those who are on your friends list, or on the same league, I know that many are interested in what he is using now or what path he has chosen to become more pro, it is interesting.
  6. N-IX Well-Known Player

yes the "friends" list is essential but don't be naive, in our lists there are people who are just useful to us for certain missions and vice versa :) :) :)
  7. KidKretz Committed Player

in online poker, we have the option to put a note on someone. i use that a lot and it literally pays off :)

i always thought we could use that here. adding a short note would be very helpful, have it auto show when you scroll over the persons name, so you can read what you wrote.
    • Like x 1
  8. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

What would be nice is if we had the ability to "go invisible" which will blank you from showing up on any friends list you may happen to be on or the ability to show an "available" icon next to your name on anybody's given friends list when we're "instance ready".
    • Like x 3
  9. C0de Well-Known Player

That's actually a good idea, that would cut down on the ninja invites. The thing is, we already kinda have that system in the league Ui menu. I've always wondered why it was only utilized for leagues. I'm not sure how hard it would be to impliment that system to each character individually but after 10 yrs, we should have something like that about now.
  10. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

that's funny. i was going to post "ninjaviting is bad!".
  11. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I concur that the friends list is pretty useless out side of a few people in them that its oh cool that person still plays

but outside of that after playing this game for so long I don't remember 96% of the people in my list that I know I wouldn't have added them if I didn't know them at one point and like playing with them.

being in a league for so long also means I don't meet new people in game often we always stay in League chat.

its only recently that I started making my leaguemates go to instance chat when we are running instances. as i keep telling them its the only way we are going bump into cool people that talk and want to work together
  12. Stranger Well-Known Player

And maybe we should be able to add Notes to remember who they were. Hahaha