Atomic: Neutron Bomb vs Beta Surge

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Leonite, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Leonite Well-Known Player

I don't understand the decision made on these two powers. They have the same:
    1) power cost
    2) power interaction
    3) zero crowd control effect
    4) atomic combo
    5) tank effect
    6) cooldown
    7) supercharge refill

Their only difference: Neutron Bomb is long-range vs mid-range for Beta Surge. Based on this only difference, I assumed that Beta Surge does more damage than Neutron Bomb... nope, its the other way around.

So what gives? What am I missing that justifies Beta Surge to deal less damage? If the devs later decide to reduce the damage by NB bec of this post, I urge all atomic dps players to duel me and beat me with no remorse.

P.S. I know, I know -- they have different icons, too :p
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Beta surge is the worst combo atomic has. It has the same damage as it’s 100 cost power which is also max range where as beta is mid range. So under no circumstances will beta be useful. The only area where beta may be “better” is that beta is a cone damage which means it can hit targets that are already through a line but it being mid range means it’s not even useful as that.

It’s the reason I’ve pushed for beta to be turned to a pure ST combo similar to handclap for HL.
    • Like x 2
  3. Ergotth Committed Player

I think it answered itself: One focus on a single target but longer distance, the other on More targets but at short range. Because, you know, some DPSs fight closer or use this power on tank role for the aura and self-heal. You drag enemies with your pull and Beta Surge their *** into Chernobyl.
  4. The Anxient Loyal Player

Beta Surge has crowd control. Any power that can cc does less damage. Makes no sense bc cc doesn't mean a hill of beans to dps but it's been that way since stats revamp
  5. Leonite Well-Known Player

If only Neutron Bomb does not have AoE damage, but it does. Its radius based instead of cone based like what DeitySupreme said. But both hit multiple targets.

Beta Surge has zero crowd control. I said that in my first post.
  6. The Anxient Loyal Player

Yes you did, and you were wrong then too. Beta Surge has a knock-down
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That is not how how it works at all.

Neutron bomb hits harder on both aoe and st with longer range than beta surge. So beta surge is completely inferior in all situations.

Not one atm but I’m pretty sure beta surge doesn’t not CC. I believe you are thinking about thermo chemical explosion.
  8. JIBLY New Player

In tank role YES, beta surge has a knockdown effect on all enemies it hits.
  9. JIBLY New Player

Beta surge has a knockdown effect meaning a cc in tank role. You can use for a while until they’re immune too. The only problem is that thermo does cc as well, but at a much better range and radius compared to beta surge, so beta surge is useless from both a tanking and dps side.
  10. Leonite Well-Known Player

11. hardlightX2 New Player

Actually beta surge does have cc.
  12. Leonite Well-Known Player

No, it doesn't.
  13. The Anxient Loyal Player

Yes it does lol.
  14. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Saying yes it does doesn’t do anything. I won’t be on until later today so I can’t test this. But as far as I can remember it doesn’t do any CC. From a quick google search however it shows that betas surge doesn’t have any cc listed. So maybe the description is off. Will confirm later.
  15. Leonite Well-Known Player

Don't bother testing because they're just trolling us :)
  16. Leonite Well-Known Player

ok, so I was wrong. Beta Surge does have a knockdown effect which is NOT in any in-game description. This does explain why it has a lower damage compared to Neutron Bomb and the world makes sense again. Thanks!

I'm thinking of sending this to the bug forum to update Beta Surge's in-game description.
  17. JIBLY New Player

This is why I think there should be better descriptions for some of these powers. I think the description wasn’t changed when the nerf came for atomic when it first came out. Back then they pretty much changed a lot about the atomic powers.
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That is why I was willing to test lol. I’m not above admitting I was wrong. Learn something new every day. Still not worth using thou lol
  19. Illumin411 Loyal Player

There’s no reason to use Beta Surge. All the powersets have utterly useless powers. Beta surge is one of Atomics useless powers.
  20. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Sadly I feel atomic had more useless powers than most lol
    • Like x 1