Can't complete Metal Part I

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Scarlett Jaxx aka Zodiac, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Great Architect Loyal Player

I was intrigued - until not getting past endless deaths meant I couldn't go to the Open World.

I imagine we can chalk this up to another of the ideas that would make things "interesting" but not "fun".

I don't mind there being a barrier to me accessing a new DLC, but it should be for all levels, not trivial, but achievable in one day.
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The detaunt is mostly for a little breathing room to not have mirror master on you while trying to get out of the fire (think its fire, been a while lol).
  3. Great Architect Loyal Player

It's the first time since Pengbot that I had to use Rock/Paper /Scissors and dodge to expect to survive without a shield or a heal in a solo instance. Unfortunately the Tutorial doesn't teach that any more :(.
    • Like x 1
  4. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Sometimes you can get block broken trying to tumble since tumbling technically starts with a block. And they’re mirror portals. :D
    • Like x 1
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

Tumbling Master Mod in the Feet slot negates that. And it's a great choice for anything.
  6. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

Not sure if this is a good time to bring this up, but the 2nd boss is harder. You can use a similar strategy that others have mentioned for mirror master and make sure to bring shields. As hellstroke mentioned earlier, I could actually burn through mirror master at level, but Red Death was tough as DPS until you had some gear. I only had a healer and tank so I could grind through it. Not sure what a troll would do for last boss, but others here can probably offer good advice. You get to pick a power to use for the solo after you solve the puzzle. I think the Pide Pipers flute was most helpful at last boss because it stuns Red Death. Think of the Mirror Master fight x 10 for the next one.
    • Like x 2
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

If it’s supposed to then it’s bugged cause I’ve never had any other mod in the feet and it still happens occasionally.
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

It's supposed to prevent your dodge ROLL to be uninterruptable. The initial block to use it still is. Those might be the corner cases you are seeing?

EDIT: Actually, that is exactly what you said. Sorry.
    • Like x 1
  9. Great Architect Loyal Player

The main problem people have with this solo is not getting out of the AoEs fast enough, and expecting to kill either the subboss or the boss quickly. Forget it. Both of them have enough CC to make that impossible. Lunge Mirror Master when he uses his ranged attack - It's literally faster than using your powers on him - and stay moving. Get out of the fire. The Mirror Master is a dance, not a fight.

If you are using a combo-based power, or rely heavily on channels, doubly forget it - it's going to be long. Bring Orbitals and pet trinkets.

The Red Death Boss has it's own problems - there are points where you can't attack him, but have to survive. The Rogues arrmoury has practically no use unless you are attacking, except for the ones labelled "Defensive". Those allow you to defuse the bombs.

Lock target on Red Death, and use your best instant-speed ranged on him - anything slow is useless. And stay out of the fire.

Using a breakout trinket instead of your Orbital (which will never hit him) is not a terrible idea here.

Hope that helps.
  10. KidKretz Committed Player

i returned and did this on an alt and also had problems, i posted about it in here https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/dev-stat-clamp.321760/#post-4493225 and said, "on an alt i ran metal bat 1, solo to kill mirror man, died several times on that. by the time i roll out of the way of the red lighting under my feet and push my skill, hard light machine guns, a new one would spawn under my feet and i had to wait for my animation to stop in order to roll away again. they kept popping up under me so fast and i did little to no dmg each opportunity i got. same with the nightmare flash when i had to rescue flash inside the museum. doing little to no dmg and having to constantly roll because i cant take more than 3 hits of the red lighting was a huge pain. doable, sure. fun...NO!"

I am not looking forward to running this on any other alts, but my advice, dont use any skills that have long animations, def be prepared to roll and only deal a couple hits at mirror master at a time. even the green hp regen barrel supplied on the map doesnt help much since u cant stand there at all absorbing the hp. so might want to add some heals to your build just for this fight and expect it to take FOREVER :(

good luck, its a huge deterrent, and i think the devs should fix this thing JUST to keep potential future customers happy :(

there is no need for the fight to be such a roll fest test :(
  11. Illumin411 Loyal Player

If I remember correctly my rule of thumb cadence during that phase was two flurry shots, tumble, two flurry shots, tumble etc. Could have been three flurrys, but the principle is the same. Now prec flurry shot DPSing is arguably the most mobile type of DPSing in the game so I know it’s not exactly apples to apples. But perhaps finding a similar timed rotation/cadence would help instead of trying to squeeze in as many attacks as possible until you see the portal spawning and then trying to move.

I didn’t intend this coincidence but this actually makes me think of the game I posted a screenshot of earlier in the thread, Mike Tyson’s Punch Out for NES. Against the last handful of opponents you basically had to have the patterns memorized and know exactly how many punches and counterpunches you could do in between each one of their punch moves and know when you could and couldn’t do the uppercut (basically like your supercharge punch). Trying to just punch away until you saw them about to do something or deviating from the pattern in any way got you knocked the F*** OUT! especially against Tyson where every single punch was a knockout (one shot). That meant you were allowed two mistakes or else it was a technical knockout (TKO). Otherwise, perfection was mandatory.
    • Like x 1
  12. Lady Mystyk Active Player

Mirror Master over 20 times and each time he opens those orange portals my character moves at a snail's pace even

1. Shield
    2. Roll out of way when you see orange portals open
    3. stun
    4. juggle
    5. damage as fast as you can.
  13. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

They really should rework the journal mission so people can do open world. This has caused so much frustration since its debut and continues to do so.
    • Like x 1
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Haven't run this since the clamp so I decided to test the difficulty for myself.
  15. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

It was a bit tougher on a character with artifacts at 80 and only ~250 skill points, but I thought it was still manageable. I didn't get knocked out at all and got the feats for the puzzle, 15 years of bad luck, and hard knocks.
  16. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

When I did the solo, personally I found Red Death easier than Mirror Master (despite what others said at the time and say here), but Mirror Master was definitely beatable. If memory serves, and as others have said, the key to Mirror Master is to hit him quick and fast, keep moving constantly, and avoid any powers that keep you stationary. Shields and heals help also.

For the OP, before you face Red Death, you get to choose an additional rogue power to help you with him. I found the sound based one (Pied Piper?) most useful to avoid damage from the proximity bomb things (I forget what they are, exactly) I seem to recall
    him using, but your mileage may vary. When you get to Metal Gotham and the Commish Gordon solo, you probably want shields and crowd control on your loadout, though I won't spoil what's in there beyond saying that.
  17. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

At least with him you get help using a power from the Rogues like Captain Cold or Heatwave. Whoever made the Mirror Master fight likes to pull wings off of butterflies.
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, I know a lot found Mirror worse....not sure why though, once you get the pool timing down he poses no threat. Red's being invulnerable then doing his charge you pretty much can't avoid sucks worse IMHO. Either way, with a few power tweaks and a couple of trial and error runs I got every farmer through it and a few were straight off the JLD skip token we got that summer...no artis or SP and minimal gear to get in.

I think a lot of people had issues because they had their normal loadout and rotation and didn't feel like changing from their norm. I had several friends who'd crab about it and I'd say 'pop a shield' or 'block and roll out...tumbling master helps'. Most replied, 'I don't run a shield or use tumbling master'....welp. Have fun then.
  19. KidKretz Committed Player

i could see myself labeling this fight as "nes hard" :)
    • Like x 1
  20. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Young gamers don’t know that life. NES gaming was brutal. Game progress saves? Nope. Checkpoints? Pssshh. Lives/respawns? 3…4 if you’re lucky. Tools/moves at your disposal to survive and thrive??? Two buttons, A & B usually jump and attack. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is considered one of the most difficult games in modern gaming. I’m over here like “that wasn’t even one of the three hardest Ninja Gaidens!!!”

I remember how much people died and complained about the platforming in Shattered Gotham. As a kid I called the Nintendo Power hotline a lot (and got grounded for the charges a lot) but I damn sure wasn’t asking them how to jump from one platform to another lmao. Good times…I think.
    • Like x 4