Hero/Villain Grouping & Faction Switch

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by King Bakes, Apr 4, 2022.

1. King Bakes Well-Known Player

I know this has probably been discussed a million times already so forgive me if I've missed anything, but why do we still not have the ability to invite players from the opposite faction to groups (pre-instance)? People have been calling for this for as long as I can remember and it's becoming increasingly difficult to get groups for things on the EU Villain server.

Adding to the above, have any devs ever mentioned about the possibility of switching factions? This could be through a marketplace purchase similar to how power tokens work. I don't think it's really fair to make players re-level all of their artifacts just because they want to make a hero account since the villain server is dying. Although I think being able to invite the opposite faction to groups would almost eliminate this issue entirely.
    • Like x 1
  2. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Eventually, I believe we'll all be one big group of Supers.

House of Legends (both faction)
    Raid invites (both factions)
    Ability to /tell (both factions)
    Styles (unlocked to both factions)

Not all of those abilities were existent previously. They're getting there I think.
    • Like x 1
  3. King Bakes Well-Known Player

All true, but I'd just appreciate some kind of update/confirmation from a Dev that they are actually looking at doing this, and maybe give us a timeframe as to when we can expect this to be implemented.
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

I don't think you will get this answer. DCUO's devs are really cautios when making statements like this, they usually avoid saying things unless it's already on the works.
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Faction switch will likely never happen, as there is a lot of stuff tied to that choice that would break. Cross faction grouping can be done now, once in the content (except the few instances that are NOT cross faction, like the HOF instances), you just need a communication channel and someone to 'queue then leave'.

So the fix for cross faction should be easy. A unified LFG channel (or make both sides available to both factions VLFG and HLFG), and an ability to enter the content with a few people short. Queue in with 7, invite the 8th....works this way now, just saves having to find the fillers. Or queue in with 1 and inv 7....shouldn't matter....the getting in is the hard part for most now, inv in or open queue after the fact....same as today.

Should be much easier than trying to build a mechanism for having a made group of both factions....Which I'd guess is the hold up on this going forward.
    • Like x 2
  6. BumblingB I got better.

The devs want to do cross faction grouping. They are slowly rolling out changes. They've gone on the record that there are a lot of little things they need to work through, since the game was designed to never allow this. They could open it up now, but it would probably break something severely.
    • Like x 2
  7. King Bakes Well-Known Player

I know that we can invite other factions to instances once we're actually inside but that in itself can be an issue on EU server. Plus I think a large number of players have friends on opposite factions and would like to be able to play with them without being in an instance.

The unified LFG would be a great idea, providing we can actually invite players from the opposite faction to a group without having to be in an instance.
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So what would you be grouping for? Just for open world stuff, like bounites? While I would agree that it would be nice to be able to pick up, heal or supply drop for the opposite faction....it seems like getting into instance is where it would make the most difference in gameplay.

But yeah, non instance stuff would be nice....Just that if it's either-or in the meantime, I'll take the instance stuff first.
  9. Jafin 10000 Post Club

As BumblingB said above, it's happening slowly but surely. I don't think we'll ever actually get a faction change option, but I do think we'll eventually get to the point that heroes and villains can just make groups together without having to go into an instance first.
  10. CROVAX New Player

Has there been any update on this? I know a lot of players that are eagerly waiting for this to happen. It would definitely be a HUGE quality of life upgrade for the game especially on the switch with how low the current population is. Any chance we could be looking at this sometime this year?
  11. AGGUSTEN Well-Known Player

Ask Meps insistently, to throw some information, personally a change of faction makes more sense if it is only from hero to villain, but good if it can be the other way around