Devs name reclaim event idea!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AJPro, Mar 19, 2022.

1. the solowing Steadfast Player

So if you never come back, your character name should just be locked forever for a character thatll never see activity again?
  2. FoolsFire Devoted Player

"Why should I pay your health insurance if you don't use it?" - Your Boss
  3. Brit Loyal Player

More like "Why should I pay your health insurance when you haven't worked here for over 2 years?" - Your FORMER Boss.
    • Like x 3
  4. Great Architect Loyal Player

Fair enough - I wasn't aware of that.

I'm still not seeing how a name reclaim helps anybody. You'd have to the the first to be lucky enough to grab that name, and if you do not... more "Needs more RECLAIM" posts?
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

Long story short:-

Some names have a heavy investment for some players. Regardless, there is only going to be one "The Batman".

If you think a name reclaim is going to increase your odds of getting that name, you are correct - but only inasmuch as getting 1 ball in the lottery means you will win the big prize. If you honestly think that you are going to get the name you want, you are deluded.
  6. Great Architect Loyal Player

So, please, tell me: -

What does a Name Reclaim actually accomplish?
  7. the solowing Steadfast Player

Answer the question please. Why do you care if i take the name of your character if you dont care enough to use it once in 500 days?

If you care about it that much then maybe you wouldve used it
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

Let's consider this from a different perspective.

I bought a name change token and now my character is inactive. Now you want to take my name away from me?
    I PAID for that.

That, amongst many other corner cases is why DB need to be careful with a name reclaim. And it is the corner cases that will **** you.
    • Like x 1
  9. Great Architect Loyal Player

Long story short, "I want" is rarely ever going to be "I get". Because of reasons you haven't ever thought of.
    • Like x 1
  10. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

"Hey, it's not very likely you'd wind up with the name you've been wanting if they did a name reclaim."

This garbage argument assumes a borderline psychotic level of selfishness on the part of those in favor of a name reclaim. You are correct of course, I likely won't get that name, but someone else will and that's a win for the community--OUR community.

Stop projecting your self-centeredness onto others.
  11. Great Architect Loyal Player

Stop projecting your ideals on my replies. And at least have the decency to quote me, rather than just throwing it out there.

You've not also answered my observation about corner cases. People paying for a name change.
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

MY community too, in case you missed that. Not just OURS, where "OURS" excludes me. Do keep on with the Ad Hom, though. It really advances your case.
  13. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

What exactly is the fear here? You care so much about the name that you are afraid you'll lose it, while at the same time care so little that you won't log in?

Thanos isn't going to snap his fingers and disappear you for five years and make you lose all character names. That was just a movie.
    • Like x 1
  14. Great Architect Loyal Player

You're doing it again., Replying to me without replying to me.

I'll bite.

There is no fear. I got my name first, and someone does not like that. They also don't like it that I keep it, even if I am not playing.

Which names do you imagine would be freed up? Superman? Batman? The Flash?

Which names is it that we are "freeing up"? Tell me.
    • Like x 1
  15. Great Architect Loyal Player

Is one of them "Enemy Ace"?
  16. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

Is the plan to bequeath these name to your children when you die?
  17. Great Architect Loyal Player

I could ask you the same question.

Why do you care who owns what name? Should I have a name that people want - a name so good that you want to take it away from me - what is it about it that makes it so valuable to you?

And why do I not deserve to have it, but you do?

Tell me. Who deserves a name? You? Me? Why?
    • Like x 1
  18. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

It's a win... unless the person who gets it is a name seller who only grabbed it so he could sit on it for a couple of years in the hopes of getting a better price.
    • Like x 1
  19. the solowing Steadfast Player

As someone who asked a GM to free up the name "Mobius" in WoW. (And yes, Blizzard did free up the name so i could pay to switch my name) I support, not a name wipe. But allowing inactive accounts to have their name freed up so active players can have a shot at a name they really want, i support.
    • Like x 1
  20. the solowing Steadfast Player

Preach it.
    • Like x 1