Get rid of skill points or retool it in your new MMO, here too if possible.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GameIsGreat., Feb 12, 2022.

1. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

This system needs a retooling, badly. Not going into a tl/dr so going to cut to the chase since this thread is not exactly revolutionary.

For progression with stats and the like, make it like ESO or any other MMO where sp or stat increases are achieved by playing the game/using your abilities/finishing instances…..or use what’s right in front of your faces and make augments the way. We level it with broken down gear we earn by killing things, keep it that way and make it the primary way we achieve stats. Makes it easier for new players to pick up a controller and get stronger through hours of playing and beating instances/bosses/killing things in the world. Or use your imagination. The current system is outdated and can and should be updated. I have 481 sp so please before you say ‘looking for handoutz’ no, just no. Just playing other mmos since the beginning of the time it seems sometimes, I have never seen an MMO that requires so much for anyone to catch up as a new player.

fin
    • Like x 3
  2. the solowing Steadfast Player

Not looking for handouts, attaching progression to a optional system like achievements were a misstep imo. Deff needs a retool.
    • Like x 1
  3. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I don't agree with this in any way.

In a little over a year I was able to get 600sp, the more I got, the more like I felt I earned them. The system feels rewarding and the level of challenge attached to certain things with higher feat point rewards is also present. It's accesible and achieveable imo.

My only problem with the system is the superman emblem feat (lol) and if I were to ask for a handout it would be that.
    • Like x 3
  4. Plowed In Loyal Player

I dunno, while it may subjectively feel worse, I know I could grind out 481 sp faster on DCUO than I could grind to CP 1800 in ESO. That’s a guaranteed time/play -sink whereas you can knock out feats left and right with a group of experienced players.

Now for multiple characters, yes sharing CP is a great benefit in ESO, but you pay over there to play current/newest content.
  5. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

I think you proved my point in a way. I feel a player with 1800 cp in Eso is someone that obviously put in time/effort into playing. I can visually see that. That is skill in and of itself is playing a game and getting better. With the constant mood swings the devs have with how and what the game is supposed to be, I see someone with 500 sp and wonder if they just purchased a lot of tcs or got difficult feats when we could solo them as a walk in. What could have been a good system is terribly flawed with the constant ‘this is the game, now this is the game, wait…..now THIS is the dc universe game!’ Puts newer players at obvious disadvantages and ‘older skilled’ players with say, the Epic Odyssey feat ‘garbage players’ simply because they didn’t make an account when anyone could walk in and drop an orbital for the feat. I solely blame the lack of vision for this conundrum we’re in and it is easily fixable (albeit most of the people griping about this are more than likely the drop an orbital and we soloed Dox! Will hate it) if they cared to fix it.
  6. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

It’s a “devil you know” deal for sure. While I get the argument to revamp, I’m against it solely because I know it would break the game in so many other sections. So it is it what is and that’s that. New game hopefully doesn’t do it this way. But asking them to redo a 10yr old setup? Have y’all seen what happens when they change anything in this game?? I’m all set personally and might be the nail in the coffin for a few of us.

Could it be added on top? Maybe. But again, remember that while the lowbies would love it, so would those of us flush with sp because now I can get up to 800 real quick. So under 600sp won’t be invited to elite content instead of under 400. That ain’t the devs fault, it’s just how the community is.
    • Like x 1
  7. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

It’s guys and threads like https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...evs-on-switch-lag-and-or-server-merge.321260/ I feel sorry for. Luckily I have the ‘big three’ systems and an account on each with ps being my ‘beast’ account I can honestly say I have a disc for still and the packaging for the game just cause I never threw it out. I can only imagine a new player standing at a bounty they have to kill 500 of all alone with no chance of ever being able to get the feat all because the system either doesn’t have the population, or they’re just finding the game. I almost feel like they made the game without long term aspirations. We can certainly not fault the devs for things outside their control, like server merging, but the game should be way more accessible for people to pick up, play, and excel. The system in place now feels archaic and I am stunned that of all the horrible tinkering decisions made over the years that this one was never fixed or addressed.
    • Like x 1
  8. Plowed In Loyal Player

DC isn’t your traditional mmo though. It may seem awkward (it is for sure, achievements = stat progression, really?) but it’s easier to grind out the necessary skill points here than it is to trudgingly grind out CP at higher levels in ESO. Had DCUO stayed a subscription model only, I don’t think you’d see skill points coming from Time capsules, probably the worst part of this system, but hey, we’re free to play, right?

I actually prefer ESO’s system better because it’s more linear and straightforward, but there’s a definite disadvantage to any new players who can’t make up lost time. That gap is much smaller in DCUO, which is the best part of the system.

Anecdote: just ran a dungeon with a DD only doing light attacks at CP 1600, so level doesn’t necessarily correlate to ability there either. Light attacks only is like the dual pistol full auto of ESO.
    • Like x 1
  9. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

I feel ya. On eso I think my character is 1300ish…..enlightenment helps a lot. I had 900 on my ps4 before I traded it in for the next gen and switched, it is definitely slow there to level, but it is, at least to me, more….how do I say, fulfilling there oddly enough to get the points. I feel like I earned them, and the account wide aspect makes the game extremely alt friendly. Dc is just more action packed, and fun to play. If they could steal that idea from eso and fix their sp system I honestly can say with a straight face that this game would grow and last many more years.
  10. Whodini Well-Known Player

Once you get the crit/crit chance, your characters main stat bonuses, and health maybe...not much else that matters. So getting skill points for me right now is kinda useless.

Artifacts matter so much more anyway. Flawed system for sure when you factor in you can just spend a ton of money to buy 200 artifacts.
    • Like x 2
  11. Frankzilla Committed Player

Problem with skill points is it isn’t skill based. They are inflated by a bunch of cometic feats attach to time capsules which shouldn’t be 5 so per tc wowzers.
  12. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Your CR in this game is where you see your time and effort. Grind the tokens/coins to get the high gear set. Skill points/stat points is where you see dedication to improvement.

Content can be completed without a lot of skill points (proven by the Cr of people who have little sp). SP is a bonus thing you can get, that makes content go much smoother/faster. I'm all for reworking feats, but certainly not like ESO. Casual players would get left really far behind then, but as of now, I know some casual players who still get feats to improve, and they're still competent as a player. They get the feats, because they want to. Forcing people to play for hours on end just to get more points is ruthless.
    • Like x 2
  13. Trexlight Devoted Player

Ah so you're wanting a visual indicator of a player's worth before actually getting to know them. I think the phrase "judging a book by its cover" ring loudly here. Im someone who has been here since Day 1. One of the few last Veterans still playing, even if off and on cause of life, and I gotta say, I could give 2 crap loads about my Skill Points, even when they were absolutely needed in the beginning. If you want to go on Wavedox and research each Party member before running something, go right ahead but I'm sure you'll find more fun just playing the game. It doesnt matter how they got Skill Points or hell, how many skill points they have. The game doesnt have Skill Point requirements to run content. Thats a silly thing the community tries to put on players. Elite content, maybe but eff it. Just play the game and enjoy yourselves.
    • Like x 6
  14. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

I’ll disagree with your first statement. Reason being, is because within 30 seconds you can create a character and be 310 with the click of a button, (swipe of a card.)
  15. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

You cherrypicked one sentence to reply to when I explained exactly what I meant…..also projected a little. I never wavedoxed a player, have not given any inkling of being an elitist player, at all, and actually have several times explained that the change is basically to make it easier for new players to join and progress, so what the hell are you ranting about?
  16. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

True, but you can't be 358-360 without the time and effort. Until next Cr skip increase lol.
    • Like x 1
  17. Dene Devoted Player

This is the issue - SP was never touted as points you get for being skillful.. they are and always have been ways to increase stats in the game - it is us players that created the connect between a players supposed skill and how many skill points they have
    • Like x 3
  18. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Very true, but it does sort of tie in together, in one aspect. There's lots of feats that require a person (most with group effort) to coordinate (together) mechanics to effectively obtain the feat: which in turn teaches important skills like blocking, rolling, paying attention to the environment, survival (self-survivability), lunging, etc.

Not in reply to the comment:
    Anyone can do a rotation, a skilled player knows when to stop, roll, interrupt, lunge, or even take a back seat if required.
    • Like x 4
  19. GregTheFarmer Active Player

So I don't completely 100% disagree with the OP. I think the system should be reworked, however I think it should value SP more than it does. SP is a joke to get if you put in a little effort...and I do mean a little. Believe me I get that SP can be daunting when you're just starting out or coming back from a break. I went through the same thing when I used to play GW2 and saw how many had a high # of achievements and had the bonuses/perks along with them and here I was with sh*t gear, not knowing how to play properly, and almost 0 achievement points. Eventually I got slightly better in those departments.

I know someone who went from the mid 300s to almost 500 in a few months. They just grinded...admittedly this was before the clamp so it made things a bit easier, but still (DAMN I HATE THE F***ING STAT CLAMP...but I digress). For ***** and giggles I created a new character a few months ago and within a few weeks I had almost 100SP and I was just casually playing the character in my off time (when I used to have free time).
  20. Dene Devoted Player

oh absolutely - on both points - its not a bad guage but just not perfect lol

there are many feats that require skill for sure... but some are just grind and some are just luck or even can be bought etc