Stat Clamps....It's Not You, It's Me!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KidKretz, Feb 5, 2022.

1. KidKretz Committed Player

So i will preface this post with the fact that I hate the new (months old??) Stat Clamp. I stopped playing the game because of it. But I now finally know why!

It's not DCUO's problem, It's mine! I'm just too old, too busy, life is short...now that I'm old!

New content came out in my main game i play and it's causing ppl problems, to which i responded with "sadly, i don't have time to figure out most stuff on my own anymore, spending all day to learn game mechanics on my own thru trial and error is a young mans game. just do what i do, wait a week for the guides and copy them"

And that is when it hit me! That's the reason I don't like DCUO's Stat Clamps! I don't want to spend an hour in a raid learning what to do, fail after fail, after fail thru trial and error. Not because the game isn't fun, but because I'm just too old! I enjoyed playing DCUO from anywhere from an hour to 12 hours a day, banging out lots of content in that time, brainlessly, with my fingers doing the work on auto and my eyes enjoying the show, only to now go "awww man, I have to do something the right way now, in a certain order, as well as trying to stay alive...awww shucks!"

So yes, I broke up with you DCUO, but can now proudly say, It wasn't you, it was me! and for that, I am truly sorry!

Discussion: Anyone else noticed they are getting to old for certain style of games? What have you done since? I have been gaming since the 80's, can remember gaming with dial up, any fun stories you want to share?
    • Like x 9
  2. the solowing Steadfast Player

Im just no longer wanting to dedicate 4 hours to something like progression. I want something more i can knock out within a hour or, something i can just pick up and put down at any moment (like housing)
    • Like x 2
  3. Kaistyle2 New Player

I just wish they had something setup for open world instances that have extremely low player counts. Some of the open world bosses in some of the previous content I am unable to even attempt to solo and when I check the phases, there could be one phase with just me in it. Sure people say "just look for a group to do it" but depending on the time of day/night and the content, you might not find people to do it or even have a league to gather folks for it.
    • Like x 1
  4. Brit Loyal Player

I'm a slight variation of that.

I DO already know those raid mechanics. It's not a matter of learning them for me.

It is still entirely an issue of time.

"Hey, I used to be able to bang this thing out in 20 minutes, but now it takes 40 minutes. I've already run it a hundred times. It's not new or challenging; it's just slower."

"Oh hey, I'm in a group with somebody (or multiple somebodies) who doesn't know how to do this and won't listen in chat. I already have to deal with that in relevant content. After a month, I still cannot convince random players to not murder our entire group by dropping an Orbital in the current raid. I can't convince other players to play right in content that is for progression; why would I want to spend hours beating myself in the face with a hammer to convince 5 players who don't understand it how to run Prison Break or Darkseid. It's just too much time to do something that has no real rewards."

I'm not going to care about fishing out the handful of old styles where I might have had bad RNG deny me one piece. Instead, I'll wait for them to get recycled through the login rewards. I'm not spending so much extra time and frustration to play something that is easy, but just takes longer for no real reason.
    • Like x 7
  5. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

Sounds as though the OP, like many of us, is guilty of having played the game in a manner that was inconsistent with the wishes of the developers. Like taking medication for "off label" use, our fun was unapproved, and therefore revoked.

I think there maybe something to the argument here that its a generational issue. The older players didn't grow up in a world where our play was this structured or rigorously controlled.
    • Like x 5
  6. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Have you thought about playing Call of Duty? It’s fast paced unlike an MMO like DCUO
    • Like x 1
  7. Gamma Lantern Committed Player

Most players that I speak with would prefer there be an option for running content clamped or non clamped.

In my opinion, there should be a daily/weekly lockout for non clamped content and no lock out for clamped content.

That seems like the best compromise for the community and something the devs should seriously consider and discuss.
    • Like x 2
  8. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Stats clamping isn't there just to be. It's a way to prevent old players from ruining new players experience and decrease queue times. In exchange of not being able to one shot a boss, you can now get source marks from queueing up to any content and it's much easier to get styles (Plus, you can get just farm solos/duos/alerts for styles, you don't need to play Darkseid War Factory)

Some instances are not well balanced for it, true, but you aren't going to spend 5 hours in content unless you want, most missions can be done pretty easily and the rewards are well balanced across all content so you don't need to play the hardest raids with a random queue group.
    The only problem with it in my opnion is feat hunting with a pre-made group and elites, because you don't run them with newbies anyway and the rewards (feats and elite tokens) are exclusive for that kind of content.

I don't want to diminish your complaints, but when someone says they want to go back and one shot stuff because "Aint got time for that" it sounds pretty dumb. Except for feats and styles there was no reason to run old content in the past. Feats are still a issue like I mentioned, but styles are everywhere now. So if you are just a guy who likes to run old content, you are in a win-win situation compared to before.

Now yall can't just expect to be able to one shot Zod in FOS 3 and get out with 10 marks for 30 seconds of gameplay.
    • Like x 2
  9. Gamma Lantern Committed Player

Even now you can just spam FOS3 since it’s easy to clear under 5 minutes total.

There should just be an option for running clamped or non clamped, the non clamped option should have a daily/weekly lockout and the clamped option shouldn’t have any type of lockout.

It’s the best compromise for the community in my opinion.
    • Like x 4
  10. Kaistyle2 New Player

I find it interesting that you say it is to prevent old player from ruining new players experience, and yet most of the newer players I've seen are in the newer content. Add to it not all older players have done the previous content, and there are times when player peak numbers are in single digits range in said content. I'm talking when you are the only person in an instance and phasing leads to.... your instance.

Too many times I've seen people use the "new player experience" as the reason for clamping, but still I will ask "Where are they in the older content?" You would think people would be running around all over the place, but the majority of players are all in the latest Tiered content.
    • Like x 1
  11. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

It is the health of the mobs/bosses that should have been increased and not the players to be victim of it, because in the meantime, we had the augmentations, the artifacts, now the allies and company and I am sure that when we had all that, the mob and bosses of old instance were not adapted to that, what made them smoke in less than 2...
  12. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

1) There are many more older instances than end-game worlds.
    2) New players can also be in end-game worlds, but old players don't have a reason to run them because they don't get rewards.
    3) There are multiple older instanced content and players who are a little bit above the threshold will be clamped, so unless you are inspecting everyone, you don't really know in instanced content the proportion of new players.
    4) The 'new player experience' quote didn't come from me, it comes from data analyzed by the devs
  13. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

There is a difference between 5 minute spamming with 8 people and 1 minute spamming solo though.

I'm not agains't the idea of having non clamped content for feat runs, but the devs already said there is no tech for that at the moment.
    • Like x 2
  14. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

I'm kinda the same. 10 years ago, I wanted a challenge in my games. I used to play racing games on the hardest settings with all assists turned off because I wanted to push myself. I played the hardest raids on Destiny and would happily spend 8 hours or more in there, teaching people how to do it and everything.

Now, I'm a few months away from turning 40 and I just can't be bothered anymore. I'm old and I'm tired lol.
    • If I play a racing game, I just want to do laps by myself on an empty track or just cruise around an open world.
    • If I play a game like Destiny, I can't be bothered to spend 8 hours banging my head against a brick wall in a raid. I just wanna bounce around and shoot stuff.
    Even in DCUO, there's been times where I've literally started falling asleep in the middle of a raid while I'm tanking a room full of adds because I'm so bored of hitting the same button combo for 10 minutes straight, while watching a health bar slowly dribble away lol. I just wanna fly around and beat stuff up! You can keep your super-challenging Elite content, thanks! I'm good. You kids can have fun with that, I'm going off for a nap!
    Nowadays I just want to chill when playing a game. Occasionally I do want a challenge, but more often than not I just can't be bothered with the stress
    • Like x 4
  15. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I’m there. I just turned 46, and I work as a 911 operator. I help save your behind in real life every day. Does one think that I want to come and spend 6 hours with kids yelling slang and profanity as we try a boss for the 187th time?

I’m here to spend a couple of hours with friends after a long day, and it’s great to feel we accomplished something together during that time.
    • Like x 7
  16. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I work in corrections, in the prison lockup. Wanna trade?
    • Like x 5
  17. MrWon Committed Player

i wish there was a way to do both. some days i want to play with clamp and some day i dont. like when im teaching friends to play and helping em learn combat/role/power/mechanics, i def want clamped on or they wont learn anything. i rmember long long time ago when i solod the 1st boss in UM (going in blind/1st time) and it felt good. if i were to solo him and there was no clamp that feelin would be gone. at the same time, i always wanted to try soloing an elite raid (unless its old af) with my full stats. i dont think itll be possible now or itll take too long. similar to bounties, i love soloing em but now most of it takes rlly long. still fun but if it takes too long then naaah
  18. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Honey, you don't know what old is yet. :D
    • Like x 3
  19. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

Lol probably not, but my back says otherwise....‍;)
    • Like x 1
  20. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

/facepalm