l Rage Melee l - Can still playable

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Raikam, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Raikam New Player

What do you think about rage melee? Can you think it can still be played?
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Rage was built for melee.
    • Like x 4
  3. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

As TheLorax said, rage was built for melee. My main is Rage, I just finished running all the new content with it, and you can melee everything with the exception of a couple boss fights you might want to use a single target focus.

Here's some suggested powers to use with Rage.
    Violence (DoT that adds plasma burn to enemies near you, making it easy to go from add to add.
    Outrage (this combo is your bread and butter attack).
    Eviscerating chain (most beneficial with La Mort artifact).
    Lacerate (something to fill the gap between cool downs).
    Berserk (your best supercharge).

Suggested rotation:
    Violence (I clip this with remorseless recovery, because you're going to take damage, and this helps keep you alive).
    Then outrage combo clipped into E-chain, clipped into outage, clipped into lacerate (until outage is off cool down), outrage to e chain to outage again: repeat from violence+remorseless.
    • Like x 3
  4. Trykz Dedicated Player

+1
    That’s the load out and rotation.
    The hard part is positioning and knowing when to roll out and take the dps loss lol.
    As for the Op,
    Rage melee is one of the highest performing dps, it comes with a lot of strings attached though, and takes a lot of practice and knowing the fights to stay at or near min max.
    Its also hands down the most fun there is to be had playing dps in my humble opinion.
    • Like x 4
  5. Wallachia Devoted Player

Main Rage here. I suggest following Pale Rage's guides. Alternatively, you can use Frenzy, as it deals a lot of damage in a continuous combo.
    • Like x 3
  6. Raikam New Player

I think you wrote the rage part in AV's guide. Can we wear tank gear and enter melee in elite content? without severe punishment or shield?
    • Like x 1
  7. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Rage can be play melee in every [Regular] raid and plenty of [Elite] raids as well, I do it all the time. You can't just hit buttons though you have to be actively aware of how the tank is positioning the boss or adds, you have to be aware of what type of attacks they deal if its 180 conic or 360 splash dmg but the majority of npcs in dcuo only attack in a 180 arc in front of them so as long as you stay behind you are safe. But it requires constant repositioning to ensure that.
    • Like x 4
  8. Yvtq8k3n The 7 Well-Known Player

I know 2 possible "Melee" case scenarios:
    1. Might Melee, where you using powers on top of the boss. I'm not really in favour of this. Imagine the boss is Martial Arts or uses something that has aeo and you dead.
    2. Prec Melee, there are some plays with it because of Berserker, its slighty more safer then Might Melee but still risky.
    Personally I dont like either. The risk doesnt overweight the reward. Imagine you die, Player B that is playing safe tries to get you and also dies. You putting the group in an unfavourable situation that can easly become a wipe.
    If you want melee DPS on REG or EVENT version go for it, it should fun, but on ELITE I highly discourage it.
  9. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I helped AV with a few powers, but he did a great deal of work on the guide.

The differences between tank and dps (with Rage) is significant for power cool down. You wouldn't be able to sufficiently rotate through combos to put out enough meaningful damage. Outrage cool down is much longer in tank role, for example.

My suggestion of elite content, as rage, is to replace berserk with infuriate (for emergency heal help) or use the shield, if you're having trouble staying up.
    Likewise you can range, which is still viable.
    HV (with solar amp), plasma retch, dreadful, e chain, berserk (or infuriate), then either remorseless - shield - or rsk (depending upon circumstance)
    Start with retch, tap range, dreadful clipped into HV (que tap range), dreadful clipped into E-chain (no combo) repeat.
    • Like x 2
  10. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Also wearing tank gear to dps cause massive reduction in damage output.
  11. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

If you have your character setup well, and sufficient SP, Rage might melee still offers much reward vs risk. It's just making sure your SP are allocated correctly and mods.
    • Like x 1
  12. Trykz Dedicated Player

Wearing tank gear versus dps gear is about 7% less might exchanged for defense and health. Couple pieces of tank gear can increase survival at the cost of dps, however, it isn’t needed, the main skills involved in playing melee as I mentioned earlier are situations awareness and knowing the fights mechanics. You can do massive damage melee but you also do zero dmg every time you have to roll out do to boss mechanics. There’s a trade off, even when you drop all your trinkets and hit berserk you can be knocked out immediately and lose everything. It’s high risk high reward play style. Rage is one power where both roles play styles compliment each other very well. My general progression through a dlc is tank first dps second. I’ll learn the fights and the one shots as a tank, then when I come back and melee I already know when I have to move and where I have to position myself, sometime it’s better to pin the boss between me and the tank, sometimes it’s better to stand behind the tank, it’s all relative, but if you know the mechanics you can melee in any content.
    • Like x 2
  13. Trykz Dedicated Player

Don’t play rage if you get too upset about dying though. Cuz it’s gonna happen a lot in the beginning, there is a definite learning curve lol
  14. Trykz Dedicated Player

Personally though I refuse to range lol. If I can’t melee for whatever reason I’m switching tank and punching whatever killed me in the face a bunch of times /shrug
  15. Wallachia Devoted Player

Conversely, thenon-SC melee attacks that deal the most damage are Frenzy and Lacerate, both of them have the exact same cooldown in both roles. Frenzy even has the cooldown ending right as the combo ends as well.

Outrage is strong, but falls behind. E.Chain is good as a finished, but you can deal consistently more damage with frenzy/lacey
  16. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

The numbers I've gotten from going at sparring targets was very different. Frenzy doesn't hit everything near on each hit, I think it is the first hit that does one target damage, then splits for the next. Whereas outrage is hitting everything in nearly a 360 degree.
  17. Wallachia Devoted Player

Yes, outrage is better when you are surrounded, because it splits less than frenzy. For bosses, tho, frenzy is better due to them being single targets.
    • Like x 1
  18. Trykz Dedicated Player

I’m more interest in your thoughts on violence vs the sc generator Pale.
    • Like x 1
  19. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I prefer using violence, specifically because it:
    1. Cool down is the same as remorseless recovery (I use), and
    2. The plasma effect follows you.
    So if I kill 3 adds in 5 seconds, when I jump to the next set of adds, they're getting plasma burned also.
    Violence can be clipped into remorseless (so can the SC generator, but that's one hit, vs the dot that follows you).

If I'm trying to build SC fast, I'll use relentless, but most of the time my SC builds rather quickly anyway, and I generally save it for boss fights.

If I was using eog, I might use relentless more often, but with my setup, I don't need to.
  20. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

It is my 'opinion' that violence is the best power for inflicting plasma burn, because it's a dot, and it's mobile. Wherever you go, plasma burn follows.
    • Like x 2