Minor Membership Privilege Proposal: Popping Private Phases

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Catastrophic Repercussion, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

1- OW ARE INSTANCES.

2-
    • Imagine limiting the instance to only 8 players as usual.
    • UI? Servers? Allocation??? They already have all that lol.
    • Dude, the cost are the same, they already have it all, you telling me that their servers are worse than some random Minecraft server with 5k players in just one cluster?
    • Code complexity what!? Literally calling the devs Juniors.
    • I love how you say "can be easy exploited" but provides zero actual reasons, just like your previous points.
  2. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

"Phase with minimal people" is not really a thing, system allocates population to all public phases as equally as possible. There may be a new phase that system have yet to shove people in but even that don't stay that way for long.

I don't see you give an actual counter other than "not enough".
    Yvtq8k3n The 7 said there are other games that do it but ultimately, it does not matter what other MMO does with this, this is about DCUO's capabilities. Now that is an actual apples vs oranges comparison.
    It's also a bit insulting that your line implies DCUO is only allowed to follow in other games' footsteps instead of having their own stamp on design.
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Even though I felt your suggestion more or less fell under that description, that statement wasn't specifically directed at you personally. I don't repeated make this point to wag a finger at anybody or stroke my ego over applying a broader or different perspective. I make this same point a lot because of the effect that having hopes and expectations not grounded in reality has on human psychology. The more times a person wants, wishes or expects things to happen and they don't, the more feelings of disappointment and being underwhelmed build up over time. Feeling disappointed and/or underwhelmed by an activity that supposed to be fun will slowly suck the enjoyment out of it or at the very least breed cynicism. The game is more fun for everyone when the communities a whole is engaging, having fun and being positive about the experience. The more players around the community are being negative and cynical or not even bothering to play and engage because "this game is ***" or "the devs don't listen" or "the devs too lazy to fix anything" etc, the more that drags down the experience for everybody.

It's perfectly understandable if not highly recommended for every person to have their own minimum standards for what entertains them and deserves their money and time. But when that standard gets skewed by mentally comparing what "is" to what they imagine "should or could be" that's when disappointment becomes at least partially self-inflicted.

Probably because the phrase "extremely massive undertaking" says everything that needs to be said in that regard.
  4. PHNTM Well-Known Player

The reason I mention "not enough" is because for something to be drawn up, designed, worked on, balanced, implemented, tested and paid for, it'd have to benefit Daybreak financially. For it to become a member perk, which would allow every single member to use (resulting in increasing costs), the company would need to compare that with it being something that might increase membership sales. Just using a reason like "I want to play solo" or "I want to just RP with my league", is not enough.

A lot of implementations that DCUO has or are proposing have come from other games. You know why? They work, both for player and company. They get those other MMO's memberships and sales. It's a huge financial risk to implement a new system without measuring up costs and using other games as research.
    • Like x 1
  5. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Yea, but what if you cannot defeat them? And what if they don't leave you alone? I do not have much experience with any PvP outside legends, so I'm already expecting some not fun times if that were to happen.

As for your last point. I usually find that to not be the case, from my experience, people will just keep trying to come in to get credit and even start gathering more unwanted players. You start with just one random person ruining your solo (in their mind they're just helping you, or trying to get credit) but suddenly more people start showing up and it's become irreversible because the boss can't just kill everyone in time. Pretty terrible when trying to get a video up, but it does fulfil the initial reason I started soloing bounties in the first place: have no need to depend on other players, but take advantage of them showing up to end the mission faster if I do get attention...
  6. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Somebody gets it! :)
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

You're asking for a private version of maps that are intended to be open to all players who qualify for the CR requirements of that map.

From your OP:

Let members have the ability to create private phases for open-world maps!

(italics and underlining added in case this gets quoted in a reply lol)

It's extremely difficult for me to see that and NOT think that's a selfish request.
  8. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

You can't expect me to not take that statement personally when you have chosen to make it in a thread I started.
    I think this idea can work, I make my case. People make an opposite claim, I make a counter. That's all there is.
    Instead here you talking about wants and disappointment that just veers into wtf territory and no one here is in that creepy obsessive territory until you make it so, that's just completely made up and not relevant here!

My point is people don't apply the same standard between wants and practicality the same way, but apparently we're not even on the same channel. I try to give some broad examination but then I'm eschewed for either thinking too hard or not hard enough at all.

Tell you what I wish for: I wish I didn't maintain secrecy of who typed that line. It might blow your mind off. Alas.
    Despite being a prime motivator for purchasing a membership, the devs have decided that episode and unlimited cash access will no longer be exclusive to Legendary. There won't be any harder incentives to increase membership sales unless maybe they give out free completion seals every week. What constitutes a membership perk will no longer be necessary access to the full experience but minor enhances that you may or may not have use of. What membership can gain financially won't be "I buy it to play the game" but " I buy it because it makes me feel better", hence I gave a suggestion that fits that bill. I made cases earlier that the cost is not as egregious as everyone seems to be imagining it to be but really, you don't have a much better claim of it constituting "not membership worthy" than I do, there are no hard standards with the vast change to the model, at least for now.

What other MMOs implement is only a system, it does not mean it will translate well, and what failed to work for other games does not mean it can't work for you. Automated gameplay is a thing but do I want that for this game? Personally no but if you want to make that case you don't just point "see other games do it!". This ripes of the "If Fortnite does it we should have it" mentality. Other MMOs does can be a reference point, but it's not the be-all and end-all when it comes to how DCUO does with it.
    There, I changed colour too :p

It's a bit like telling a VIP restaurant customer no, you can't book the whole place for yourself even if you paid for it.
    You may be depriving other customers who just want a casual dining experience that day but it's not inherently a selfish move.
    In this case, you're not even taking away from other player's experience, the most "selfish" I can think of is the resource management complication that may arise that uhm, the devs are doing it all the time in the first place.

Also: Walk-in portals. They're not making a comeback but they aren't being taken away so far as we can tell. This is about the same level of selfishness and if that is allowed, let this be allowed.

My brain hurts from all the thinking.
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Maybe a flow chart will help clarify:

Unrealistic Expectation ---> Unrealistic Expectation not met ---> Slight Disappointment

V

Repeat X 10

V

10 X (Slight Disappointment) = (Major Disappointment)

V

(Major Disappointment) X (Time) = Cynicism/Disillusionment/Negative attitude = reduction of fun playing a game that is supposed to be fun.
  10. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

I never project expectations, I only talked about feasibility that everyone here is sceptical of, you are the one who is giving me negative emotions here for imposing those emotions here by having such an absurd tangent in the first place!

Slightly more disappointing than you no longer even bother countering my points on the topic, believe it or not, even the most severe disagreements I still have fun arguing against. That is why I dislike Lorax's three-word post so much.
  11. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Absurdity is subjective. Case in point, you somehow don't find this idea absurd.

Also, emotions have nothing to do with the high probability that the major investment of labor, time and resources required to do this would fail to yield a worthwhile ROI in terms of value to customer and revenue gains.
  12. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

This is such an unrealistic ask. In theory if you did this and every member could pop their own phase.

1. It literally takes the MM out of MMO. We need to congregate more players in the worlds not seperate and seclude.

2. It would be impossible on the server end. Lets say you had 20k subscribers. In theory every one could pop their own phase. 20k phases? C'mon. Im a member but this is a no go.
  13. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

My idea spawns out of recent Phase UI developments. Your idea is based on nothing. That is why I get to call your "psychoanalysis" absurd for having nothing to do with this thread and you don't get to call mine so.

Broad statement of cost and investment with no proof or comparable measure. I can say the same about alternate power colours but that idea has been acknowledged and entertained. Next point.
    I'd make the case it's not unrealistic implement wise, though unpopular this certainly is.
    1. They have plans to congregate players for queueing instances, that is where players have problems finding others to join, open-world maps do not have the same problem and introducing this doesn't go against the ethos of the game as a whole, also:
    2. In theory is not the same as in practice. The number of the population using pvp phase is proof, have you seen 2 pvp phases of the same map so far? I haven't even seen the number of players there reach double digits. Not to mention every base you stay in, on-duty instances are all technically a private phase in of itself, and if they want to prevent abuse then that's a matter of planning and not the issue of the idea itself. Everyone can is not the same as everyone could, that hypothetic scenario simply wouldn't happen. 20k phases of the same map at the same time? Really?
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I just keep thinking back to when they added the giant Starro bounty in Deluge and the performance issues that popped up with people popping and jumping across multiple phases to spam that mission.
  15. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

You don't respond to any of my points anymore. I'm sad :'(

That sounds like an example against congregating people within the open-world maps :p We've sure come a long way since that on how the phase system is being managed.

Starro... I remember I use to run it in the PVP phase, but back then there were lots of people from both factions and we're killing each other even amidst the boss fight and especially when we're waiting. There were a lot of rolling back to base involved. I was planning on bringing this up earlier but that moment has passed.
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Ouch, my feelings.
  17. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

Aww, you're back!
    Don't worry, I'm not gonna make a whole essay about how your feelings manifest in your words and that it shows you are in a deteriorating mental state and not fit for making logical thoughts. I try not to be a hypocrite.

To be clear that 2nd part is a jab at someone else, but since I quoted you I declare you unfit for being on forums and sentenced to Arkham Asylum.
  18. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Its not realistic. It will never happen.
  19. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

This is the kind of comment that gets your ideas tossed out. However valid or feasible they are.
  20. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

That's not up to you, I made my case, you disagree, let's leave it at that.
    I updated that comment since apparently sarcasm is difficult for people to comprehend.
    But also... I have ideas thrown out that are being considered and adapted, thank you for your concern.