New Power requests, easy fix

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by JKR, Jun 19, 2021.

1. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

We need new powers and iconics I know what's been said before was nothing being done atm but it will still be brought up and every stream they do most folks current and those on breaks also bring it up lol . I look forward to seeing membership update and what's this new major Feature coming but we do need new powers etc that I'm sure DC has to approve of anyway
    • Like x 2
  2. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I have been saying this for a while, since it takes more work to make a new power set, just give us iconic powers we requested since, I can't think other valid reason why someone would prefer a year of working on power sets than rather months of iconic powers from our favorite villains and heroes.
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Because iconic powers (on their own) aren't enough to get players excited about the game. So, they won't keep players from moving on to other games and they won't attract new players to the game. Instead, they'll be more like "yeah okay, cool. 9 years late but okay... so what about new powersets?"

A big part of adding new powers is being able to sell them to the public. Not only do you draw in players who always wanted X power, but you're also signalling to the public the game isn't dead and it's being reinvested into. This inspires trust and keeps the population stable.

You can't market or sell iconics. "We have new iconic powers!" It won't mean anything to new players and prev/existing players will only be interested in the couple that suit their characters. In fact, if they tried to market the iconic powers on their own it risks confusing new players coming thinking they'll get a whole powerset based on that single power they saw -- then they find out that's it and it's the only one. They'll leave angry.

Iconics will take time to rework... and for sure some people will appreciate them but for everyone else. it's so obviously doing the bare minimum and players are smart enough to realize that and they won't like it. Many will interpret it as an insult. An MMO has to add new player content regularly to keep it fresh and offer players more options on how to play and show the public it's still an actively developed game; and in this case that means offering a lot more than iconic powers.
    • Like x 2
  4. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Totally understand what you mean but think about it this way, what makes new powersets so attractive that iconics can't accomplish on its own, if someone wanted bane powers we know for most of the time bane fights like a earth brawler, right? So why waste an entire time on a power set that just need 1 or possibly 2 iconics added, and Circe"s clone power is another example, I"m also pretty surprised to see that you disagree with this thread, I think many players should bring up this cause until it's addressed, so the developers can realize what we really want, also Like the sorcery thread, I support it because it was so we'll demonstrated and is actually better than asking for new powers that can take years.
    • Like x 1
  5. JKR Well-Known Player

Lastly, for new powers this model could still work too as mentioned in the beginning post. (the following are just examples)

If, for example, you wanted to create a morphing power, streching, growth etc. then attribute to plastic man and a new power can fall into the iconic power class.

If you wanted to create a absorb power then attribute it to Amazo and a new power can fall into the iconic power class.

If you wanted to create (fill in the blank) then attruibute it to (fill in the blank with the appropriate icon) and a new power can fall into the iconic power class.

I get that this may not work for a power type like black lantern (some people would want a whole powerset) but if 4 to 5 powers (whatever the number) were dedicated to black lanterns, I believe those who really want it would take it and those who don't care, well, wouldn't care.

Hopefully the community gets the idea because I trying to express an idea to more than one person. lol

Thanks,
  6. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Well no, I can't really agree with that. Each powerset has thematically consistent VFX connected to it that appear when you use it. So, someone who wants to play as Superman, Wonder Woman, or even Bane, can't just take Earth powers and a couple iconic powers (even new ones) because the VFX from Earth will still trigger and be unwanted, or because you'll still need to use the powers from your powerset (can't take the iconic powers) to keep your powerset's mechanic going. Iconic powers aren't a substitute for a real powerset because powersets are designed with full synergies between the individual powers that allow them to output damage or mitigate damage and so on. For example, a Bane or Superman using Earth would still have to aftershock, Gemshield or pet to stay viable. All of which are concept breaking. If this was enough, people would be satisfied with what is offered now, and they aren't. Currently they can already do all this and it's not enough.

So like I said; yes, iconic powers are good to have but 9 years too late. But they will not replace and can't replace a full powerset because they won't be designed to function in high end content / be viable in endgame and the player will still have unwanted immersion breaking VFX in their character. And this doesn't even address the social issues of population maintenance and growth, or fallout if they do them without adding new movement types or powersets and players feel like this is the bare minimum and they've abandoned the game.
  7. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

The developers could add synergy/pi between iconics and make it viable for end game content, if not then what is the purpose for adding iconics to begin with if it will be neglected along with pvp, we all want the same thing and that is more options for our toons, but I would like to know since this is a forums of sharing ideas, what do you propose as a better idea then what op have mentioned?
  8. AquiloFury Committed Player

"Is it possible to remove the sheild from the end of quatum tunnelling?
    Is it possible to create or modify existing sheilds to have less "bubble" shields in the game? maybe some that contour to your body?"

I'm all for that. I'm pretty sure that prior to the stats revamp..QT was a shield without the bubble. I've been finding myself thinking this more and more frequently.

As I've seen said, this is a clutch power for pick ups. As such, a slimmer shield or a detaunt would be more suited for MY PERSONAL TASTE. Again, that's just my two cents.

In relation to the iconic powers...I'm also all for that. If done in waves, I think it could work. I have several characters that I would absolutely use them on.
  9. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

Personally, I would be more in favor of adding new spells to existing powers, rather than having iconic powers, so that players can "rediscover" their power and at the same time, add new spells for support roles or some really lack variety. I think that after 10 years of existence of the game, this is what the game would really need today.
    • Like x 2
  10. JKR Well-Known Player

Ok, so you want more powers for existing powersets. I'm not against adding to improving existing powersets but I dont see the conflict with more iconic powers especially if they use it as a way to create brand new powers as well. For example, the sheild in munitions, survival, is not very helpful (unless you refuse to put stat points in the breakout ability), really dosent last long enough to pick someone up and that should be fixed.

Can you give some examples what you would like to see?
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

For this thread to continue, it needs to have less personal attacks.

If you have something constructive to say, please do not couple it with insults. If it helps, you can type out the insults, read the whole post, delete the insults, read the whole post again, and note how much more mature and insightful you seem.
    • Like x 25
  12. SentinelWonder New Player

Hi Devs, about power, why not tornados? Guess can work out easily, exist so many contents that tornados are common, so is already integrated in code. And with this power, you guys can introduce red tornado as new hero, so as make flash fans happy to have more abilities to approach this hero, so as earth is for superman. Pretty sure tornado match with DPS/TROLL role.
  13. Mertal Defer Level 30

With respect TC we don’t need more iconic powers we already have 3 that’s mandatory for most meta builds that we can’t replace. We on the other hand have been waiting for someone years to hear anything new regarding adding new powersets.
    • Like x 2
  14. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

A game that doesn't evolve, doesn't retain its community and given the change lately, free episode and membership plan, I really hope Daybreak has some good plans in mind for DC.
    • Like x 3
  15. VengefulSaint New Player

As much as I'd love to see new powers as well I think we're long overdue to re-skin some of visuals of the current powers. They've already done it for some in game content... For example Atlantean had a rework of sorcery's circle of protection in a greenish/yellow color. Electric flux is nearly impossible to see dependant on the zone you're in. A rework of the visuals of some lackluster current power visuals would be a nice start.
    • Like x 3
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Pick one. You can't claim both.
    • Like x 1
  17. The Multiverse New Player

I'd love to see simple power sets
    -Superstrengh (amazonian, or Kryptonian) you could use a lot of existing power animations with a little reskin)
    -Speedster (flash, I've seen some really cool powers that the npc speedsters have)
    -Elastic (probably difficult)
    -And of course unlock the powers from legends PVE!!!
    • Like x 2
  18. Grim931 Committed Player

Really not necessary for some to speak for all players. I am a player the last time I checked, and I would in fact like new powers. This includes new iconics.

If you're going to shoot down an idea, don't bring an entire crowd in and speak for them just to try and prove your point.
    • Like x 3
  19. JKR Well-Known Player

Its funny that all of the iconic powers have been made available through PVE Legends this week. Even if your just a feat hunter at this point, there has to be at least a few of those iconic powers that are useful or at least fun. lol
    • Like x 1
  20. JKR Well-Known Player

why not??? If someone is obviously a hater who is simply trying to stop an idea and an insuing conversation then that's them. If someone (like me) is trying to bring an idea to the forum and continually try to bring the discussion back to the the topic, that's constructive.