Grimbor's chain

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by lieutenant, May 4, 2021.

1. lieutenant Active Player

Can someone please help me out here? Everybody says this artifact is useless and I'm sure I'm one of a few trolls that's actually running this. Any tips on how you would spec or use this artifact?
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Unless things changed since I last saw that artifact, there really isn’t any speccing to do. It’s just something that gets activated. As for how to use it. I’ll let someone who actually uses it to help you.

The reason I PERSONALLY don’t like it is because it only really works on unimportant targets. Bosses aren’t affected by the slow. Adds can easily lunge out of it. I think the artifact would’ve been more helpful as a tank artifact that gives the tank an aura that slows things. But that’s about it.

Hopefully someone will help you that knows how to use it effectively that can help you
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There's nothing to spec into. You hit your defense debuff, it creates a slowing field centered on one target, mob attacks are suppressed for 2 seconds and depending on the artifact rank there's additional damage. Waste of time and money because Controllers can already stop adds dead in their tracks. Controllers have better artifact options.
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

it IS neat, but it's not "useful" to the same degree that things like Amulet or Parasite are.
  5. lieutenant Active Player

could I possibly squeeze a battle troll build out of it?
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No. Battle Controller is always going to be Amulet/Claw/Grim or Transformation.
  7. Fwames Well-Known Player

I got it only at 120 because going further down the line doesn't actually makes it more useful. 200 is almost the same as 120 except for a SLIGHTY higher damage coming from laceration. Don't even talk about how Grimbor's bind is more useful at 160 (because it isn't!).

It is recommended that it is paired with the BOP Commlink together with the Amulet of Rao. With all honesty, kinda money grab to me and that is coming form a guy who doesn't think the artifact and breakthrough system is "pay to win".

Reasons:
    1. Grimbor's Laceration need ALL 3 controller debuffs in order to activate. What does Bird Blitz do again? Oh yeah, 3 in 1 debuffs at 160!. Yes, you can activate laceration without using Bird Blitz, I get it.
    2. Grimbor's Bind last for 6 seconds. What other stuff lasts for 6 seconds? Oh right!, Bird Blitz reduces the duration of it's debuffs to 6 seconds.
    3. Grimbo'rs Bind slows down and suppresses ADDS for 6 seconds. Most controller defense debuffs abilities got it's own built in CC effect and most of the time the duration of these CC abilities overlaps with Grimbor's Bind, rendering it redundantly useless.
    4. Bird Blitz does not have any CC effects (a wise tactical decision). What does Grimbor's Bind do again?
    5. To max out the potential of laceration you need to have all the targets of have the laceration placed on them. What artifact does place all 3 controller debuffs again? BOP commlink! What artifact does spread your controller debuffs up to 7 different target? Amulet of RAO!

I get it, I get it. These 3 are definitely intended to be together like a menage o trois of artifacts. I even have to applaud them. The synergy between these 3 artifacts are the greatest and most complicated across all artifacts, sadly, it doesn't translate to a significant increase efficacy at all. Don't get me wrong, with the 3 together, they are definitely efficient at what they do but just not as effective as the other meta of controller artifacts.

In my perspective... and I don't know what are dev's are scheming when they brainstorm this artifact. Grimbor's chain is created as an "add cleaner" and not a tool to help the tank control the field with it's chain... as the devs suggests (Just why? The trolls have all the tools in the world to help the tanks with that and the tank got all the tools in world to do that. Just why?). In my experience using it, granted that I only have it at 120. It really suits the theme of battle trolling. With Bird Blitz freeing up space on your tray and not worrying about CC because of Grimbor's Binds, it really gives you more freedom on your tray. The only problem with this setup is the lack of fire power it offers for the user as the stats given by the arts aren't really suited for DPS. Furthermore, the effects of laceration is useless after it served it's purpose of clearing the adds. The totality of Grimbor's chains' existence doesn't give any advantage or whatsoever if the boss is alone. How many times do adds spawn on boss fights again? How long do these adds last? With the over abundance of high-end DPS with 200 arts and 600+ SP, this artifact is almost rendered useless.

Well, not useless in every sense of the word but being a very niche artifact for add clearing is.. let's say...a little bit too niche.

If you manage to put laceration on hallways adds after the tank grouped them like packed sardines. They die.... they die a little bit quicker than normal, as if it matters, but they still died nonetheless. Their you go!. Your consolation prize for using Grimbor's chain. "
    "A slighty quicker death for adds".

Sorry if it really turned into a rant.

But my setup when I've used Grimbor's Chain is:

120 Grimbor's / 200 BOP / 200 Rao or 120 Grimbor's / 200 Trans / 200 Rao (higher DPS but a hassle to set laceration up, hate it)
    Brawling > Shuriken Storm mastery
    Hybrid
    Maxed Crit Power (Both)
    Maxed Crit Damage (Both)
    Maxed Might
    Rest is Vit

I don't worry about giving out power too much as siphon for the BOP will sorta help me.

This is on my gadgets troll with and SP being 8 SP shy from the 600 club.
  8. MrMigraine Devoted Player

If it was useful on Bosses and Bounties, it'd be amazing.

Sadly, in its current state, it wouldn't even make my loadout if we had twice as many artifact slots.
  9. Yaiba Committed Player

If you love swapping artifacts during fights then this is a good choice.
  10. lieutenant Active Player

swapping artifacts midfight takes up a lot of time and especially because the screen moves so slow
  11. Fwames Well-Known Player

Tried it and I wouldn't recommend it. Trust me.

Adds go down like flies even before you know it. Tac swapping this would just be asinine. Let's say you've successfully tac swap it at the right time and you've placed laceration on all of the enemies on screen. For what? A slightly better add clear? For that purpose I would argue Claw/Tetra or Claw/Cog does the same job..... and at smoother and efficient way to add. Tried it at COUe Trigon, FVe Rogues, FVe Grodd... and I couldn't decipher what tactical advantages the Grimbor really offers. Of course I may be wrong about this or I suck at tac swapping in a 6 secs window but if anyone finds a good use of this artifcact by all means please tell.
  12. Fwames Well-Known Player

I'll tell you it's a beast on the Hydra fight.
    Anywhere else.. meh..
  13. Illumin411 Loyal Player

There are other options as well, but Grimbor’s Chains still ain’t one of them.

@OP
    I feel like that artifact was made specifically for the tank statues in FGSe. It’s useful there but the lasso artifact is even more useful for the same purpose. Or as a troll one can just chain knockdowns and lock the statues down that way.
  14. Yaiba Committed Player

Buffs last 12 seconds, the art gives group more damage, and extra damage is always good.
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Tac swapping isn't a thing for console players.
    • Like x 1
  16. Yaiba Committed Player

I think it's just you because I have seen other PS players using the trick.
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Good for them. It's still not a thing.
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

it is if you have a keyboard.
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Ah. I literally only know 1 person in game that has a keyboard for PS. He definitely doesn't tac swap however.
  20. Berza Committed Player

Not for arguing, just curious why you say this, as tac swapping is easier with a controller than it is with a mouse/keyboard, since with a controller the cursor defaults to the first spot on the inventory, while with a mouse it defaults to wherever the mouse is.