Quick DPS question -

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Kimone, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

What are we calling "good" single target damage these days?

My caveat is that I'm looking for a median range output - i.e. I don't want to know what you can do with Berserk, Supply Drop, and your Trinket all active at the same time; I know that number's going to be insane but it's also not what you're actually doing for more than ten seconds at a pop. Trying to establish a baseline for an entry into the SP versus Artifacts discussion and I'd like to know what other people have in mind.
  2. Psyfur Well-Known Player

I'm not sure if my input will be relevant here. But I'll just describe my experience anyway. I have a 330 fire prec toon. I use 10 and 30 sec parsers. I start with a 10 sec parser first, then I move up to 30 to see if I can duplicate results. I usually parse in the 50k - 60k/sec range. If I screw up my rotation or my crits are too low, then I'll parse in the 40k/sec range. My personal best thus far is 68k/sec. I don't use trinkets, soder buffs or supercharges when practicing my rotation. But I have my artifacts equipped. I'll disregard a parser if I destroyed a league hall item because it skews the numbers. I also disregard a parser if I was closer than mid range.

I'm not sure what a good single target mid range parse is today, but on YT, I saw a gadgets prec toon hit 70k and 80k parsers. However, they were in melee range. But still a good video.
    • Like x 1
  3. Tree Well-Known Player

Hi there, hopefully your post gets insightful responses. *fingers crossed*
    For me personally, when I started to take dps seriously I was at consistent 40k/10 seconds with single target. At that time, I was a little doubtful of my own dps. However, after some time, insight from my peers, and overall progression to my character (artifacts getting leveled, skill points being earned, etc. etc.), I’m now hitting consistent 60k. I can say from my experience that artifacts have helped HUGELY, especially that 5% Might from Solar Amp. Rank 160 really is the ‘sweet spot’, so I’ve noticed.
    • Like x 1
  4. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

My honest opinion is dont even worry about it.
    If you find a universal loadout thats fun and functional and you build artifacts that compliment it your damage will be adequate. To be a good dps, you dont have to do the most damage. You have to be functional to your group an theres lots of ways to accomplish that other than pure damage. Heck, some of the worst dps’s i have ever ran with were also some of the best burners i have seen but they were garbage.
    Its a game so have fun 1st and fig out what u like an make it work good enough and be a value to the group. A burner is of no value if they cant survive, dont communicate, dont pickup, dont position favorably, dont do mechanics, pad their numbers on adds etc. just have fun an do ur job :)
    • Like x 5
  5. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd say the bar for single target is at 55k/sec.
    For AoE (8 targets) its at 130k/sec.
    Those numbers are best achievable with strat/trans artifacts.
    If you run a supercharge or pet based set up, those numbers will be lower on sparring targets but make up for it in content by playstyle/mechanics or team composition (EoG heal for example).
    So i'd say the bar for single target is at 50k/sec and 125k/sec on 8 targets with those playstyles.
    • Like x 1
  6. Yaiba Committed Player

Should be 60k+/sec for ST, new meta on LFG :D
    • Like x 2
  7. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:p
    • Like x 1
  8. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

First, I like that you put that much effort into your response, and coming back to the intangible DPS factors discussion (positioning, awareness, mobility, defense, et cetera) is fun to do, but not really why I'm here today.

I have a character that can put up a consistent 50-55K (depending on current static buffs) single target at the moment (it spikes... high when I have trinket, drop, et cetera active) and two that are in a comfortable 110-120K on the raid set. No one's rocking a full set of Elite gear yet either.

Point being that I'm not really looking for the "feel good" DPS 'you can do it just have fun' response here (bless you though, seriously - positivity is at a premium these days, especially here) so much as I am looking for rough numeric ranges for a test video set so that:

A.) I don't get anything I'm using nerfed accidentally for the sin of simply pointing out how things work, and
    B.) People don't complain about my current stat range as though lower current stats somehow invalidate the results produced.

They don't BTW - I get the same split formula percentiles out of a 90 CR character that I do out of a 260 or a 326 (unless they are Nature or Electric and that's only a few moves and there's a reason why - different discussion) That aside...

To everyone that responded so far - thanks for verifying that I am, in fact, not barking up either of the wrong trees. So, that said, here's why I asked.

For some godforsaken reason the "Arts versus SP" discussion came up again in-game, and a little immediate testing said pretty much what I thought it was going to. Mainly that 77 SP + Arts produces a little better versus 400 SP, No Arts, but there is NO comparison whatsoever when you come 77 SP + Arts to 400 SP + Arts - not even remotely close.

Still, I figured I'd asked for a handful of opinions on the general expected late-game numeric ranges just to make sure I'm in the right general neighborhood (and also because I'm curious as to what the neighbors are doing, not gonna lie). Also, since we just got a fresh new crop of CR jumps that, en masse, have an at-best vague idea as to what is possible, I figured a little debunking was in order to both mollify my personal curiosity and provide a direct (verifiable) reason for "Why We Even Bother To Work On SP".

To move into the second phase of discussion, I'm going to surmise (based on my previous observations) that at least the majority of the responders here:

are in the minimum 380+ SP range. Would I be safe in assuming that?
    • Like x 1
  9. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Depends on power set. Some powersets can get away with less sp than others. Pet powers like Sorcery, Earth or Ice (kinda) dont require that many SP.

Powers like Nature Gadgets or mental benefit most from as many SP as possible.
  10. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Yeah, no argument there either. I main Mental Precision and run a Fire Tank - 400+ SP is comfortable but "there's always room for more SP" is on their family crest.

That wasn't an entirely rhetorical question though - I meant, specifically, the people responding to this query so far demonstrate damage output ranges consistent with at least enough SP to be able to fill out their primary (if not also portions of their secondary) DPS stat - Might or Precision - to the currently standing 285 mark while also retaining enough SP to obtain pertinent Abilities and Functions from the Weapons, Movement, and Iconic trees, thereby placing them in the above-quoted SP range.

I know it's technically less than 380 to fill all that up but I'm still very much of the opinion that you fill out an entire Weapon Tree and at least one of its related Weapon Mastery trees (even if you run a Might character because 'oh ****' moments happen) plus I like a few points for niceties like HLS, RSK, and even Super Strength (what kind of hybrid Kryptonian/plant woman grown in a Lexcorp Genetech clone tank can't throw a bus, amIrite??) so I'm sticking to that one because it's a good arbitrary number in that range.
    • Like x 2
  11. DCspawn87 Well-Known Player

12. Tree Well-Known Player

You actually got it right, I am at 382 sp now @Kimone. All due respect, you dumped a bunch words at me so I’ll just share what came to my mind, no offense. Yes, I maxed out my Might. No, not all 3 of my dps artifacts are at 200. I want to share that for me, the extra skill points I do have are now going into Precision. I do this because I frequently “weapon tap” in between my powers as a dps tactic, in hopes to increase my dps. With that, putting in extra skill points into Prec would obviously make those weapon taps hit harder. And on a personal note, I cannot out dps my friend’s Mental Prec with my own Mental Might. He for sure is parsing much higher than me. I don’t know how he does it. And I don’t know how you do it, but I /bows to Prec dpsers.
    • Like x 1
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

^ this. Also, weapon taps can activate your tac mods on a weapon, which can be used to supplement power back, provide additional damage, or supplement defense, variably.
    • Like x 1
  14. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you spec in prec, it only increases your weapon taps wich is super minor dmg. If you spec into health, it helps in case you use tetra as artifact or just adds to your survivability wich is one of the greatest factors a lot of people oversee while chasing the big damage.
    • Like x 2
  15. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

No worries a all, im known to poke too much fun an get banned from forum on occasion haha but in this case i did genuinly wanna offer my personal opinion on dps’n in general. For a hard answer to a desired stat line i will say this.
    The min i would personally deem acceptable as far as a parse (10 sec) unbuffed is in the 750k+ range.
    I say that because thats my consistent 10 sec unbuffed parse with the 2 variations of my loadout i use. I get higher an lower but thats about the average. I use my own as the benchmark for a few reasons
    1) cant do damage if your dead so as referenced in my original response, i quite often make up a fair bit of damage theough my smart play (postitining, mechanics, survivability, etc)
    2) i have found in the new elite raid for example, that if im topping boards then the burn just isint there total in the group to push through but if im mid to bottom then we smoke the raid with min issues.
    3) with my damage (and to be fair, i dont consider it alot of damage) i am pretty consistently in the top 2 dps’s in any given group in any given raid so im always a benefit to the group.

For disclosure i have said it in a few posts before but i dont run a meta loadout, i dont chase the flavor of the week nor do i spend on multiple artifacts.
    I run lamort, SA, and trans card and am building strat card for potential future uses and dead kings for fun in thr mindless spams. My loadout is not ideal but my arts are built to compliment it perfectly and im at 442 sp and 331 cr. My base might unbuffed is 92k+ and as said, i have found my damage to be more than sufficient to be a benefit to any group in pretty much any situation so using myself as a benchmark is prob fair
    • Like x 1
  16. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Theres another tric to this i dont recommend but wouodnt hurt to have in your pocket. Tetrahedron buffs your might based on your health an you can skyrocket your health if u have the sp to do so and thus can skyrocket your might which = more damage.
  17. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

isnt that what i wrote? :eek:
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Awesome. I think this is enough to set some expectations and build a case around, but if anyone has any more info to add, bring it by. Thanks!
  19. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Well, first off, discussions on parsers should always be absent consumable buffs, supercharges, utility belt goodies, etc. Granted, I know some people running source shard pet loadouts have an issue with that, lol.

Anyway, as far as ST, I know I’m doing between 58K/s and 64K/s (strat card makes for high parser variance) for precision and that’s without the troll weapon buff which is generally considered part of precision base damage for balancing purposes. From what I gather, 55K/s and above is considered good (not great).
  20. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

I was distracted at the time lol yes i just reiterated it seems haha i skimmed an assumed u were speaking about prec which i know nothing about an thought u meant tetra somehow helped prec so i was attempting to add the might aspect haha
    • Like x 1