Materials as a color palette is it possible in 2021

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by EvilDeeds, Jan 14, 2021.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Yeah, we aren't Devs...we're only going by their answers so far. Just because they got bought out by a new company doesn't mean some kind of miracle happened. If anything has changed technology wise, it will be a significant amount of time before we players hear anything about. In case you haven't been paying attention, they have been keeping things close the vest, meaning we won't get an answer until they are actually ready to reveal something. That's where we are at this point.
    • Like x 3
  2. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

Except we did get answers when Enad Global 7 bought it out, incase you forget here's what they have to come.

"Scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2021, this overhaul promises "a modernization of the graphics (Upgrade).
    - an update of the main mechanics of the game.
    -addition of numerous contents to capitalize on the growth cycle of the new generation of consoles ". As we know, DC Universe Online is already distributed on PCs and consoles (PS4, Xbox One and Switch), and the MMORPG will be ported to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, while taking advantage of the technological assets of the new consoles".
  3. StealthBlue Loyal Player

It's been pointed out a few times in this thread already, but "updating graphics" is not the same thing as "rebuilding the style system from the ground up to give more customization options".

You are reading far too much into that statement. For example, the anniversary event included an updated model for Flash. It used his modern design along with updated textures, so in that point alone we had a "modernization of graphics". This same style of graphics update will likely continue with new and updated NPC models and new player styles (as has been happening over the last few years), and will probably extend to content locations as well (either new or existing).

Another example is the room for the avatar of meta/paradox fight in the new raid. The "ice" for sections now have a distorted reflection effect where I'm fairly sure there didn't used to be one. That room may have been updated in fos2 as well to have the same reflection effect, but I haven't been in there since long before the update.
    • Like x 3
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Which are all pretty vague statements to make. The "modernization of the graphics" could be a full-blown upgrade to the entire game or just their continued work on updating/replacing NPC models (the iconic ones in particular).

We won't know one way or the other until/unless they tell us, and even then I'd imagine any statements will be VERY carefully worded.
    • Like x 2
  5. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Those weren't any specific answers, that was really marketing hype for their investors. We the players here will get concrete answers when we see full on Producers' Letters detailing new additions and when we get notes for Game Updates like we usually get. You and many other players read WAY too much from their vague statements, then start making grandiose proclamations. Then when they don't deliver the goods you all imagined they were promising you get mad at the Devs and call them liars and get angry and rude. Until we see actual tangible proof of any of these claims, we should temper our expectations and continue to provide them realistic feedback on what we want to see in the game.
    • Like x 3
  6. EvilDeeds Active Player

Would really like to know where the devs stand on this.
  7. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

I’m sorry but I don’t buy this for a minute.
  8. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Cant shouldnt be in a mans vocabulary.

Its not that they can not do these things, its that they wont
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

This isn't a matter for you to buy. This is the reality of their tech as of this moment. Can that change...possibly. But until they tell us so it hasn't. Accept it or not, it makes no difference either way because at the end of the day we don't have that option.
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

With all of the things they have done to make money, why would they hold back something that could double or triple their profits? What sense does that make?
  11. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

You've been conditioned to think this. Its not that they cant, its either they dont know how or feel their not being payed enough for the extra work that goes into developing something new. In the yearly news letter the dude said they got some new staff.. well see what new skills these new cats bring to the equation.. hopefully they’re young, the tech industry moves so fast that the kids graduating from programming today know way more then someone who graduated 4 years ago, and a heck of alot more then someone 10-15
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, setting aside the macho nonsense, unless you're actually working there there's no way for you to say one way or the other what they can and cannot do. And without working there and actually knowing the folks who work there, there's really no way for you to make this statement either.

We're all free to make all kinds of guesses about why certain things are done and others aren't. But the only folks who can make the definitive statements about what can and can't be done are the ones who are actually working with it and dealing with it on a daily basis. Anyone else who tries that runs the risk of sounding like they're talking out of a body orifice never intended for human speech.
  13. DarkAvenger Well-Known Player

Facts technology these days are just on a another level.
  14. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

and you know this how? bc you work there? do you and mepps get coffee some mornings and talk about the operations side of the business? I sincerely doubt in the age of such great technological advances, that a 10 year old game has refused to keep up with any game engine, other than the one that was intended for a ps3. The first rule to good business practices is to stay current with the market. they were too busy firing 100 people in 2018 to make updates to the game. They arent confined by the technology.
  15. TomShepard Active Player

What i'd like is Fully tintable chromas-meaning where you can change both the base color and the neon color.
    • Like x 1
  16. FreyDCUO Well-Known Player

I'm not trying to argue with anyone but they've mentioned this numerous times on the forums and on the live stream where they first introduced Chromas.
    • Like x 1
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Something like that might depend more on how the end product looks than any potential tech limitations. They've been sticklers for making sure any Materials they make look good (big reason why many Materials like the Phoenix Material are color locked), so if they were to try it but weren't satisfied with how it turned out there's a good chance it be a "no-go" kind of thing.
    • Like x 2
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The livestream where chromas were introduced:
    • Like x 2
  19. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Theres nothing macho about what i said, i always tell my students that if they say they cant so something, they never will.
    • Like x 2
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I get what you're trying to say here...but there somethings at certain points in time that just can't be done...period. That doesn't preclude the possibility of it being possible in the future. All we're saying in this thread is that future is not now. Now when it is possible, they will let us know (likely with a livestream)...till then all this gnashing of teeth is pointless.