Why does this game sometimes feel like a 2011 game?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Monsuta Man, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Monsuta Man Level 30

Disclaimer: Not a bash thread (As he says the game is low budget and generic...)

It is more of a criticism. I dont hate the game. I simply feel it is generic. Here is what I mean.

No bodysliders
    Very few body types
    Very few personality types
    Poor character creation (Not customization, creation)
    PvP feels incomplete, or rehashed.
    Legends seem abandoned

I mean I could go on, but I will spare you. The 1st one really throws me off. A 2011 mmo with no body sliders. I know the knights have their lances and horses charging from the title, but it is just a gripe I have. This is one guys opinion.

Sinestro was one of the 1st heroes or villains I seen from this game. So I downloaded thinking I could look like him, or at least have his ears and body type lol. You can only imagine my disappointment hahaha. I feel dcuo needs much more improvement in the character creation department.

I may be the minority, but I don't feel we need more hero costumes more than we need more hero and villain body types. Again, one mans opinion. I do not represent anyone but myself.
    • Like x 6
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

First off, thank you for NOT saying you speak for any sort of majority, only yourself. :)

Second, it feels like a 2011 game because, well, it was released in 2011. Ten year anniversary is coming up after the new year.

Third, no bodysliders was a design choice by the team. Whether it was to maintain the Jim Lee-inspired designs or console limitations or some other reason (or a combination of those reasons plus others) isn't fully known.

Fourth, again character creation was a conscious choice. Instead of giving you a ton of choices at the start like other super hero MMOs did, we get more options and choices as we progress and play the game. They just did things differently.

Fifth, PvP and Legends I won't say much on, but getting a consensus of players on what sort of changes they want to see would go a long way towards addressing PvP.

Finally, getting a new body type means having to adjust every single piece of gear in the game to fit that body type, and you would be dealing with three different sizes on each gender. That's a LOT of stuff to have to adjust.
    • Like x 3
  3. BanesRampage Well-Known Player

This game needs this and a graphics overhaul, if there actually serious about coming to PS5.
    • Like x 1
  4. Monsuta Man Level 30

My original title was low budget and generic...Guess a mod changed it to 2011
    Obviously a 2011 game will feel like a 2011 game ha!
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Firstly, welcome to the game :) While it's got some issues, it's still a fun game and holding up relatively well. We'll see how things play out after the PS5 launches.

Hopefully, you'll find the value in sticking with the game despite some options that are clearly lacking, as you point out. Your point about budget though; at the time, WB invested heavily into the development of this game. It had a lot of unique aspects to it 10 years ago and it had a hefty budget reportedly around $50m.

To address your specific points:

1) The character art is based on Jim Lee (comic artist and CCO? of DC Comics)'s art style. Body sliders distort character models to achieve their goals and this compromises the integrity of the art style. You'll notice that DCUO's costume styles are modeled rather than flat textures and highly detailed. That level of detail and quality gets destroyed when stretched with sliders. I'm not aware of any exceptions to this. So it is a specific creative decision that was made to preserve the quality of the art and creative direction of the game.

2) There are a fewer body types because each costume style gets modeled from each body type to fit it correctly. The more unique body types there are, the more character modelling has to happen. This becomes a lot of work (read labour / $$) if there's too many body types to cover everytime a new style is built (which is often).

A note, because the styles are built from the bodytype bases, over time the Devs have slowly built newer styles from newer and slightly improved versions of those bodytypes so they look much more appealing than styles that were built from the launch bodytypes.

3) This is primarily due to the ps3 ceiling that the game launched with. Personality types/character animation sets are larger files on a drive and take up more resources. It's no longer a concern with the game not supporting ps3 and potentially moving to ps5.

That said, this has been requested for years, BUT it's likely not delivered at this point simply because of where the game is in its lifespan. At 10 years, the game is more in a custodianship/maintenance phase of its development. This may still happen, but it seems unlikely this late in the game's life.

4) This was a specific creative decision made by the launch creative directors Jens Anderson and Chris Cao. They believed that it was better to intentionally offer very little customization options upfront and instead make players work in the game to gain the customization options they wanted.

I have personally always disagreed with this approach. I'd argue it's been unsuccessful turning off many new players who come to the game hoping to hop in building what they are looking for but can't. The lack of a larger variety of common powersets, abilities and movement types to the genre is probably a big deterrent to investing in and sticking with the game for many new players. And this approach has lead to a series of missed creative AND monetization opportunities for the game. That said, it's unlikely this will change at this point in the game's life.

5 & 6) PVP is abandoned. PVP is always a niche and minority of players in an MMO. Again, it's highly unlikely that any real changes will be made to PVP or Legends because it would require investment of resources that aren't inline with the priorities of the Devs at this late stage of the game's life.
    • Like x 1
  6. Kanniu Well-Known Player

I'm guessing you're new?
    • Like x 4
  7. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Please tell me you dont expect anything to drastically change? Nothing changed when it went to ps4, wanna know what they did? They put some stupid hazzy mist in metro and called it a day. Welcome to next gen on ps4 lmao
    • Like x 1
  8. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Actually they did environment passes to high res textures. They also added mist though lol.

I don't expect anything drastic at all. As I said later in my reply, based on Mepps' recent statements about powers, the Devs appear to be treating the game as if it's in its custodianship phase of its lifespan. If that's correct, I don't think any new big systems or features will be introduced to the game before it shuts down. The most we should probably expect are new story additions and cosmetic items.

However, maybe a new, or successor game etc will be announced in a year or so. Who knows.
    • Like x 2
  9. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

The other day in game people were complaining about the game saying it sucks because of graphics. They literally said gameplay doesn't matter. Then not even an hour later they were talking about how good games like Fall Guys and Among Us are lol
    • Like x 2
  10. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

The only way I come back if they make a DCUO 2, or anything similar, is if characters are ported over. But this is rarely happpens, so I guess I'm more than likely just riding this wave until it finally hits the shore, then finding another beach with decent surf
    • Like x 1
  11. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Exactly, I'm not going to another dcuo unless I get to take my past 10 years with me, that's all my styles and SP
  12. myandria Item Storage

Well,

This game is based on the DC Universe; so, much of what you are asking for (bodysliders, new body types, more personality types) will not happen any time soon, if ever. DC and WB have the final say on most of what is allowed in the game, so the devs' hands are tied there. The devs have said that they have no plans to work on PVP anytime soon, so who knows how it will fare in the coming years. Legends are abandoned because of the feat grind (in my opinion).

There are games that have launched BEFORE 2011 that STILL do not have body sliders that people still play. Some MMO games do not need a bodyslider.

At least this game isn't like Marvel Superhero games, where all you get to do is play a Marvel Hero; you cannot create your own superhero based on a Marvel Hero! Pick a Marvel Hero to play and grind for new outfits/gear to boost stats. Yay.:rolleyes:
    • Like x 3
  13. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Is why the last marvel game I played marvel heroes omega or whatever it was called and when it was ported to ps4 it didnt last a full year which is surprising.

All these new marvel games I havent touched just watched play through's on
    • Like x 1