Question for Mepps or Batuba

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Gabriel ct8, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Apollonia Dedicated Player

He's implying that the lack of respec sales is an indicator that people aren't really interested in new powers when they come out because they don't switch to them.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

There's also a very strong possibility that their data shows a significant number of alts with newer power sets more or less abandoned after a certain point, or players simply not making new characters with those power sets at all even if they have access to all the powers.

Financials will factor into the decisions, no doubt. But if their data simply shows the stuff not being used that will likely be something that is taken into consideration as well.
    • Like x 1
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Sure.

And they infamously also wonder why a massive percentage of new characters also never leave brainiac's ship. It's plausible a lot of potential new players don't see the power they want, give it a shot anyway and then just don't fall in love with the power they're being forced into playing and decide not to bother more.

Similarly, we all know people holding onto names intended for characters based on powers that aren't (will now never be) released.

How many people do we see playing regularly running around as Kryptonians and Amazons? It's a safe assumption to say that most of them would likely swap to a physical powerset if they got one. People come to the game looking at the banner showing 2 out of DC's 3 biggest characters and it's natural players will want to play as those types of characters in general. But it's not just about that power, since other powers like Shadows and Wind were also highly requested over the years. I'd have to look at my list to see the most requested ones...
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If a player is trying to use the ship tutorial to see if a power set is what they want then they're not really using the best metric. At best you only get a couple of powers from the set running through there and it's hardly an indication of what the power set is truly capable of. Plus you have to choose a power set in character creation before you even get to the tutorial, so if they don't see something they like at that point they're not likely to get to the ship in the first place.

Players CAN play a more-than-decent approximation of those big two you mentioned. All the elements are there to be used, especially since Earth was brought into the mix. Between Earth, Brawling (or Shield if you want to match what a wonderful character is using in the game), Flight and the Iconic power section a player has everything they need to go full K or Amazon. And with a couple of strategic Artifact choices they can make the Iconic power usage even better now.

As for requested stuff, the most consistent request I've seen over the years has been for a Lantern-themed Healer. That's largely in part to their being Lantern-themed Tank and Controller powers and I can fully understand folks wanting to "complete the set" as it were. :D Anything else, though? The requests have been pretty hit or miss, with nothing really coming close to matching either the number of Lantern Healer threads or the sort of groundswell support there is for a Lantern-themed Healer powerset.
    • Like x 1
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

A new player choosing a Superman or Wonderwoman inspired character gets Ice or Mental iirc (respectively) powers when they spawn in world. Your later assertions fail to acknowledge that to successfully play the game the player choosing powers for their character has to be able to successfully use PIs and synergies within the set itself. For example setting up dots to be exploited by later powers in a rotation. It therefore requires fully developed powersets to approximate these types of characters -- and that doesn't even address unwanted visual fx like spikey earth or ice armours.

A lantern healer request is definitely real but still pales in comparison to the amount of requests for a physical powerset over the years. As mentioned many times in other places, there's been multiple threads requesting it each with over 300+ likes in support of it.
    • Like x 2
  6. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I know right now if a Blue lantern healer power drop allot will switch including myself . I know if a Kryptonian power drop allot will switch lol. I know when water dropped I switched from a troll to a healer just to play it .

I know when friends who have left for some time and come back they see water added and are excited. I've said it many times before new episodes and arts and tcs and cosmetics are wonderful.

But allot of folks are craving new powers the Demand is definitely there 95% lol the other 5% don't care and or feel we have enough or should balance what we have etc.
    • Like x 2
  7. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

facts if they just give us an super strength powerset i would buy it in a heartbeat im tired of the boring avatar last air bender powers we have
    • Like x 2
  8. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Powers aren’t as monetarily beneficial as artifacts or time capsules, so lending them any development time that could be attributed to more profitable avenues is a waste
  9. SekretVillain Loyal Player

That's kind of how I took mepps' comment earlier in the thread
    • Like x 2
  10. Gabriel ct8 New Player

I don't know what the future of DC will be like, I see so many game companies making free games and earning billions of dollars with cosmetics, I really don't understand how daybreak keeps this in-game purchasing system and they can't see that a consumer friendly game is very more profitable in the long run. I have many friends who would return to play the game if that system changed if the game really became a free to play game. with a new in-game purchases system it will attract more people, consequently more money to hire developers to meet community requests like, pvp, Survival mode, new powersets ... making the game grow again. I don't know how the development of the future of DC is, or they are preparing for a DC2 on ps5, but basically 3 annual dlc, artifacts, time capsules is very sad for a game that can have infinite possibilities of content. also, fixing pvp, which moved the game a lot, would attract many people. the game has huge potential. me as a player since the game launched on ps3 i feel pretty disappointed in the last few years.
    Wthat you guys think ?
    • Like x 3
  11. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Yeah, that’s what I figured he’s saying, he just placed it behind a veil
    • Like x 2
  12. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

You hit the main points I myself love dcuo I could never leave given how much I've grown and put into this amazing game. But also one does feel Tcs Artifacts and new episodes and cosmetics is great and imo dcuo does it better then other games out here .

But this game has massive potential to really shut others down if they wanted to I mean Truly wanted to lol they could do it . I saw a trailer During the PS5 Event of a popular franchise becoming a MMO for next Gen and current .

I almost fell out my seat lmao I feel dcuo will be fine but they do have some things coming in the future that will rival it or at least take away folks who play Dcuo on the regular.

I just want them to grow stronger and take chances and have confidence on making new powers or new game modes but definitely understand $ talks especially quick and fast income.
    • Like x 2
  13. SekretVillain Loyal Player

And I hope this is true, because as of now I feel like that's why they dont step up their game. Because they dont have any competition currently in other games.
    • Like x 2
  14. BanesRampage Well-Known Player

If a Ps5 superhero MMO comes out this games done for it won’t be a competition dcuo gets slaughtered.
    • Like x 2
  15. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Not really, it would have to same or way better combat, communications ways, customization. Theres so many variables that make this game better for alot of ppl then other games. Graphics arent everything to everyone.

Hell I have a friend that plays and has played fallout 76 despite it being called the worst game in the series simply because he enjoys the building and defending his bases aspect of the game, and having to get stronger to take on the queen bounty when ppl nuke a area. But more the decorating aspect.

He likes the decorating in this game but feels it's too limited and theres no threat of a invasion by NPC' you have to fend off. So it's simply just for looks.
    • Like x 2
  16. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I've suggested utilizing the MP instead of capsules but they're stuck on the gambling systems they are utilizing vs letting people outright purchase items off the MP.
    • Like x 2
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Nowhere in the "inspired by" character section of character creation does it say you're guaranteed to be getting the powers of the character it's based on. Some fit better than others (Light was probably the easiest for them) for sure, but they never promised you being an exact copy of the hero/villain you are emulating. On top of that you aren't locked into that power set when you choose an "inspired by" template. You can alter just about everything (including base power set choice) before you create your character and let them loose in the game world.

As for "successfully" playing the game and your character? I think you're overthinking the whole thing WAY too much. Success in this game far more often than not just means making sure your opponent/target drops before you do, and there's a lot of leeway in going about that process. No doubt you can optimize your character by taking advantage of all the various power interactions and it doesn't hurt to do so. But you don't HAVE to do all that to succeed.

Let's take the Kryptonian-themed loadout I've made for my Earth character. She's a Brawler and the first four attacks in the loadout are Shards, Freezing Breath, Heat Vision (amplified version from the artifact) and Jackhammer. The last two are the Earth Supercharge heal and Debris Field (the former because I like to have the extra heal as a "just in case" thing, the latter because I like DOT attacks). Far more often than not when I'm running content I'll start off with Shards to hit and juggle the targets and immediately follow up with Freezing Breath. Even if the targets recover pretty quickly from the juggle, they get frozen in place. From there I can follow up with applying some damage from Heat Vision or lunging in and just punching the daylights out of them. On occasion after the lunge I'll resort to Jackhammer, but often it's really not necessary. It isn't until I face off against boss characters that I might need to dip more into any power interactions that may exist between Shards, Jackhammer and Debris Field.

No weird spiky Earth or Ice armor. Minimal PI use. And unless I'm having an off-day and miss an attack cue or am brand new to a piece of content I do just fine running content on that character. Sometimes all it takes to find a different way to go is to get creative.

As for the physical power set? Many of the attacks in such a power set (as in what DCUO's direct competitor has) have always been in the Brawling weapon set, and Earth brought in the rest. Do a "compare and contrast" of what the competition offers to what Brawling and Earth provide and not only will you find a lot of matches, some will even use the same names for particular attacks/moves. I can attest to this having actually played both games and exploring their physical set. Any attempt to seriously make such a set here would run the risk of being a reskinned version of existing powers/attacks already in the game, and honestly why bother when everything is already available in the game?
    • Like x 1
  18. BumblingB I got better.

This is also a problem with how they handle the alt character system. They've always cared and developed around the one character account system. Maybe if they didn't make it so difficult to even out your alts more players would be inclined to switch between them.

Sorry, still bitter about something that happened a while ago that got gaslit and it would have been a huge benefit for alt characters, not just alt roles.
    • Like x 2
  19. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Alot of folks in this thread talking about how making powers would be a waste of money, but if they started on January 1st developing a new power and release it in December i think thats more then enough time to treat the power as a side project. I mean dont most powers in game have the same recycled player animations n its just new effects added to them?
    • Like x 1
  20. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Mind if I ask about this? If you prefer I'll DM you...