Question for Mepps or Batuba

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Gabriel ct8, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Gabriel ct8 New Player

As you , Mepps ,answered the questions about PvP, survival mode , the new question is:
    Are thare any plans for a new power coming soon ?
    • Like x 1
  2. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Here we go round the mullberry bush....
    • Like x 4
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You are going to get yelled at cause you are NOT Mepps or Batuba....

"I asked for THEM to respond...not you!"
    • Like x 5
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

No plans.
    • Like x 2
  5. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

Could we know WHY there are not currently plans? Perhaps knowing why there are no plans would reduce the need to say there's no plans for new powers once a week?
    Personally I'm fine with no new powers. But the question gets old.
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It just doesn't seem like the best way to spend our time vs. other features.

Making a powerset is a lot of time/work, we probably can't get away with making just one since we have three roles, once live it adds to the ongoing maintenance work keeping things balanced or expanding a later systemic change, and with each new powerset, less and less people actually play it (for the most part, players have picked the power they like most already and don't switch).

I'm not saying we wouldn't like to, because new powers are generally really exciting. It's just a lot of development time spent on something that probably won't have that much impact on most players, compared to other systems.
    • Like x 10
  7. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

That answer makes a lot of sense. Thanks Mepps!
    • Like x 1
  8. Droppingfax1408 New Player

in other words... they can do it but they dont feel like it even though it has been requested many times before by the players

dont expect to get the last word im just dropping fax
    • Like x 3
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

o_O

Setting aside the interesting interpretation of "fax" (you have NO idea how tough it is to not go with a bad joke about faxes lol), you do realize that there are really REALLY easy ways for Mepps to make sure he gets the last word in a forum thread, right?
    • Like x 2
  10. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Personally, I agree with such reasons, a new power in some cases may even lead to frustration and the loss of the desire to play at all, if the desired power belongs to the role you do not like or it has a game mechanic you hate.

But then I have another question, what about the "Iconic Powers"? They are much less affected by the negative factors you mentioned. As we can see from the example of the Suorce Shard artifact, one single skill (with a very successful design) made it possible to use effectively a whole new style of play. Even a couple of well-chosen new "Iconic Powers" would bring new life to all existing powerset.
    • Like x 1
  11. Stranger Well-Known Player

We dont switch because of the -50% when changing artifacts... not because we love the power we play :confused:
    • Like x 2
  12. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

I think a better interpretation is: They can do it, but to create three brand new powers is a lot of work and a lot of resources and time that could be spent elsewhere, especially when the people playing tend to keep what they have.
    • Like x 2
  13. Brit Loyal Player

Thank you for a quick, honest, open, and candid answer. These are the communications that I always appreciate from our development team. Questions answered so that players can move forward better educated.
    • Like x 1
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This was a fair and candid response. It's also a bad look though. It doesn't sound like the development team feels like they have a responsibility to deliver what their players are expecting from the product.

There are many players who are only playing the existing powers because they're waiting and holding out for what they want to play as thinking in good faith that the development team has intentions of continuing to develop the game and its power selection.

Extrapolating further, it also means that existing players who are playing those other powersets and supporting the game in good faith until what they want from the game gets added, have been railroaded. This is a definitive answer, (more or less) unless someone like Jack wants to walk this back, that the game won't substantively be expanded on further. If it doesn't have what you're looking for now, it never will and you're wasting your time and your subscription $$ should be allocated accordingly. Unless you're a lifetime sub; in that case you're just out of luck.
    • Like x 1
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Couldn't agree more about iconics! And in a lot of ways, new artifacts allow us to make real loadout and gameplay-changing additions in the same realm as new powersets/powers, while still being optional, a fraction of the time required, and letting players continue to play their favorite power. Not quite the same, sure, but that's basically the idea.
    • Like x 11
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We haven't released a new power since artifacts came out, so I was referring to our track record before that.
    • Like x 8
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Interesting. I thought what I said was that historically most players don't actually want new powersets, based on consistent behavior looking at what happened when we launched the last 9, and that the opportunity cost on other things players *do* care about is pretty extreme. Or, literally that we do have a responsibility to deliver as much as possible of what players care about most.

That said, we don't always do the most efficient thing, and make poor decisions all the time - especially when trying to deliver on feedback. ;) I did say there are no plans right now, not that there won't ever be plans ever. I...haven't been to the future, so I can't offer any better answer than that.
    • Like x 12
  18. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

I'm not sure why any players are EXPECTING new powers, when there's been a resounding "No plans for this" for years. I could see players wanting new powers, but to be expecting them with zero indication that there absolutely will be some coming? I don't think it's a bad look for devs because they've been pretty clear.

The game currently has 15 different powers. Given the amount of time, resources, etc. to create a new power, how many more is "enough"? Take into consideration, how many players will be willing to spend the money to change their powers? Or create a new character and spend money for a CR Advance? Or perhaps just try not to spend any money and get frustrated that there's not enough people queuing up for T4 content? I'm sure there will be people who will gladly spend money to change to whatever power is new, but will it be enough people to make it worth it? Is the juice worth the squeeze here? It seems like right now, it probably isn't.
    • Like x 4
  19. Apollonia Dedicated Player

You did say that. So, let's frame this conversation properly. The game launched with 6 powers. I can't imagine you saying your players played and supported the game because they were happy with those SIX powers and didn't want more. We know that's not true. People weren't playing those six powers because they were satisfied with them; they were playing them because that's what their options were if they wanted to play this DC licensed game. In reality, they wanted more and different ones to play as and that's why they were added over time and the players who stuck with the game until the new power they wanted was added, and switched to them at that time.

I wouldn't argue that players are more or less set on the power they want to play as. It's absolutely true. But that doesn't mean they're playing what they want to play as right now. It's a reason to keep adding more even -- since they aren't coming to the game unless it offers them what they're interested in playing as. Also, I'm Earth because the game has failed to add a physical powerset. Many players playing earth are playing it due to the lack of a physical powerset. But even more players hoping for a physical powerset have outright just moved on over the years due it being the single most requested powerset in the game's history and it not being added. But even that isn't the whole story when discussing players not moving to other powers.

There's also likely a lack of power movement because a player has to level up a whole new character - many players consider character concept important. Just swaping powersets isn't enough. They have to create a whole new character to use with the power. That's how a lot of alts are created -- to explore different powers and character concepts. If you're developing powers solely to drive powerset respecs, this metric you're looking at is completely misleading. Powers should be developed to satisfy existing players and encourage new players into the game. Retention and satisfaction not powerset respec sales.

The existing powersets themselves are also lacking in many ways -- needing visual and thematic updates to keep them fresh and appealing and to correct for disconnects caused by years of rebalances and retooling that has unfocused the creative direction of a lot of them. Sorcery's VFX are dated and the powerset itself thematically doesn't match the IP, for example. There's nothing to connect a player with a character they love to that power. Quantum's VFX launched "loud" and blockout most of the screen so people aren't really going to move to that power unless it's out of balance and OP (which was true at one point and driving respecs to it).

In a lot of ways your reply here reminds me of Spytle's classic reply about styles in the marketplace. Correlation does not imply causation though, right. We requested many theme'd styles for the market and the team finally delivered the Western etc styles (which were objectively unappealing and even the least requested themes), and then Spytle declared the effort a failure as if there wasn't really demand. The demand was there but the execution wasn't so people didn't buy. SImilarly, just because you're not seeing powerset swaps, doesn't mean people don't want to see new powers or that the most popular powers are even in the game yet.

Powers like Shadow powers were more widely requested than Munitions. So, your statement makes some assumptions. Not a dig at you but players aren't just here to play anything at all, they're here for the IP and the genre specifically and they really care about their characters; so just having a new power isn't enough to get them to switch -- it has to be a desirable one. So I can't really imagine many people did make that switch to Munitions when it was added. On the other hand, I bet a decent amount did switch or make new water characters because it was a legitimately popular request.

Right. And like I said originally, it was a fair and candid response. And I certainly appreciate it for that. It's just also not in the interests of many of your players though. So honestly, no salt or ill-will or anything.

Like Maya Angelou said; "When someone shows you who they are; believe them the first time."

Full disclosure; I'm an art and creative director. And Illustrator. And game developer myself (another game). So, my feedback here is meant with constructiveness in mind.

So, until DI / DBG shows me they're committed to a better direction, I've unsubscribed and my membership will lapse just after Christmas.

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  20. BanesRampage Well-Known Player

What do you mean no plans we still need a super strength physical power from Superman and wonder women this is literally what players been asking from since day one
    • Like x 5