Movement mode balance

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by generalzod, Aug 19, 2020.

1. generalzod Committed Player

Asking for balance in Movement mode Super speed whirling dervish out preforms all other movement powers for melee. Not asking for a nerf but could we buff the others to be close ? Everything about super speed overall is much better . Here's a video I found with testing results.

We come a long way if Nature bugs get fixed and little things like this we be in a better spot.
    https://youtu.be/vX9woj6gSZs
    • Like x 6
  2. L T Devoted Player

Super Speed attacks pretty much rock across the board.
    • Vortex Trap outperforms Whirlwind by just under 10%.
    • Tornado Pull does fully 25% more damage than Grapple Line, and has about half the cool down time.
    • Cyclone Push does about 7% more damage than High Pressure, but has much greater range and again about half the cool down.
    • Speed Drain outperforms Devastating Flip by about 10%, but Devastating Flip is a melee attack. Speed Drain outperforms Vacume by about 5%.
    • Whirling Dervish is the highest DPS channel in the game except for Lacerate, but has a shorter cool down.

And that's just the damage. Supersized Manbat dodge has been removed from the game, but you can still double-tap jump while in combat if you're super speed. Phase Dodge has a 10% shorter cool down than most other shields in the game... the list seems to go on and on...

If you can avoid or put up with the occasional inconvenience of running up the wrong wall, super speed is WAY the best movement mode in the game.
    • Like x 4
  3. AV Loyal Player

The problem with Tornado Pull is that it has an obnoxiously long dovetail, so while it hits hard in and of itself, it loses DPS in any rotation that isn't clipping it every time. Conversely, despite the lower damage, Zip Tie Attack and Grapple Line Attack do not have the dovetail issue and are several powers' strongest clean-ST options.

Similarly, the difference between Speed Drain, Devastating Flip, and Vacuum Bubble is primarily one of range/utility when we can't use Neo and if a power doesn't have a stronger option available. Speed Drain has slightly higher damage but slighty shorter range and is a 360 pbao so it's great for adds but less convenient for bosses, vs Devastating Flip which has a bit better range on a conal pbaoe which is average for all uses, vs Vacuum Bubble that is a max-range tight-conal pbaoe so it's great for bosses but terrible for adds.

I agree that superspeed is best from a DPS perspective, just edging out acro with its speed and Dashing Combos outshining the utility of zip tie and poise (plus the inconsistency of grappling around on some maps), but the other modes do have their strengths. The biggest problem is how gd slow flight is out of combat, eg when we're forced to swim its like playing in molasses. Flight needs to be able to accelerate faster or have better perks to compensate for its lack of mobility.
    • Like x 4
  4. generalzod Committed Player

Yeah just needs to be look into great points hear!

5. generalzod Committed Player

Ok Av you nailed it. flight super charge shield needs some work!

• Like x 2
  6. L T Devoted Player

Fair enough, though speed drain is solidly mid-range.
    • Like x 1
  7. Sam Hatch New Player

Congratulations for putting super speed movement mode on the next chopping block.
    You really think flight will get buffed while superspeed and acro is left untouched?
    History continues to repeats itself.
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Theres an issue with pointing out or exposing imbalances? Maybe i read it wrong or maybe u are one of the dirvish spammers an dont want it balanced (or perhaps i way misread lol)
    In any case, pointing out balance issues is a good thing even if it means ppl would need to change builds. Heaven forbid they make the game more balanced and diverse......
    • Like x 2
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

There is definitely a huge imbalance issue here. People have already pointed out most of the individual issues but on an overall large scale, some people look at you like you’re an amateur who doesn’t know what they’re doing if you’re not superspeed. That’s not the way it should be.
    • Like x 1
  10. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

meanwhile people used to want to have flight's ability to fight while airborne removed.... ugh....
    • Like x 1
  11. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

What you call utility most of us call cheese
  12. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

yeah, considering how many advantages Speed has, I'm not exactly broken hearted over "flying up to attack people who can still hit me literally any time I can hit them". it's not like Flying is doing something Speed and Acro flatly *can't* do. the amount of damage Speed's Abilities do fall firmly in that category of "unreproduceable by other means". so...
  13. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

There were raids where you could literally be in flight mode and not get hit. Was it bad design? Yeah but still it was cheese. Are super speed abilities hitting harder atm. Yep. But if you're going to white knight for a cause maybe you should concentrate on Nature. Then let's circle back to try and figure out why almost every powerset needs an iconic power or more to compete. Me personally I would like it if actual powerset supers made a comeback. Im tired of neo venom boost online.
  14. generalzod Committed Player

@
    Yeah seem like fair points, now not saying everything balance as far as powers but withe nature tuning I say there all more inline no major complainants. So I wouldn't cry over if they don't touch movement modes. But be nice if they made slight adjustments to them. @batuba this be nice 2 maybe look at?
  15. ALB Dedicated Player

Wow. The hypicrosy lol
    • Like x 1
  16. Jcal Dedicated Player

Hell, if they could just do something about flight's Dustoff, that'd be enough for me. It's such a ridiculous power! The "shoot into the air" part has got to go. I'd very much like to stay in the general area I am tanking in, have a slight pushback on adds, have the shield, and be able to stay near my Eye of the Gemini circle.
    • Like x 2
  17. L T Devoted Player

Seems like he's working his way through lots of out-of-whack things one at a time in each of the last few updates. I'm guessing that trend will continue.
    • Like x 1
  18. L T Devoted Player

It's super cool to shoot up into the air and escape! But IT'S SO USELESS FOR ANYTHING IN GAME!

I pointed out the complete incompatibility with Eye of Gemini the very first day I tested that artifact. Flight totally needs a better shield supercharge.
    • Like x 2
  19. generalzod Committed Player

Yes its dumb for tanking.
  20. ALB Dedicated Player

Tornado pull is only good for gadgets since they're able to clip it with their pet and WD is a melee blockable power. I don't see anything wrong. Just a FYI, WD stop if your target dies, so you have to be careful when fighting adds. Movement powers are balanced.