How does the Boss hate table work when there is no Tank? *Alerts

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by gemii, May 19, 2020.

1. gemii Dedicated Player

So i have been running the alert everyday since the new DLC has been released i find the same thing happening to me that has happened every other DLC. I am the player the bosses constantly attacks during the whole alert. It happens when i DPS it happens when i Heal. i notice no in game scripts where the boss gravitate to other players

im looking to change this. i could deal with it past DLC's where the alerts are more straight forward alerts and you didnt have to wait for health based mechanics to register but i cant deal with it this DLC for another 2 months or however long this DLC is suppose to last. Do i have to lower my gear CR? remove my artifacts so my stats are lower? im willing to do whatever lowers the hate table against me because its honestly not fun its annoying and i really wish this is something that would change in the game. i am not the only player in the instance there should be better scripts where everyone equally gets a beating when there is no tank not just the same one player :confused:

can i get some advice on how to avoid this? i dont know how it actually works so i dont know how to address it
    • Like x 2
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Keeping a distance between yourself and Lex would give someone else opportunity to move up on the hate table. If he's on you you pause all healing or damage actions and move to the opposite side of the room.
    • Like x 1
  3. Controller Devoted Player

I'm seeing 3 or 4 teams call for "Need X for BoP Alert LB" just about every day I'm online, and that is for roughly 3-4 hours only, daily.

Teams are still struggling with it even a month into it.

When I completed it today I had to switch from Dps to Controller. We had a 3 dps, 1 healer alert. We had wiped twice before I switched and the healer was targeted once, it seemed.

For the 2nd wipe the healer stayed alive and I wiped trying to revive a lower CR player.

My damage out was good - right behind the 1st dps by only a little.

Thankfully, the team let me switch after I suggested it. If they said no I'd stayed Dps.

How I would handle it is to ask for 3 dps and a heal for the alert - and ask one dps to have the ability to tank or Troll at LB. When we completed it today after 2 wipes my Group shields, constant power to the healer and debuffs seemed to help - especially with the mayhem at LB.

This is just my two cents.

There could very well be something else easier for you to do in your case but I'm personally unaware of it.
  4. gemii Dedicated Player

ive tried that once but no luck

ive tried even carrying a aggro drop shield that detaunts and targets somebody else and i stopped hitting the boss but after the detaunt wore off it was right back to me lol

ive tried not hitting the boss first from the start of the fight but once i start hitting its right on me.

i always thought it had something to do with being the hardest hitter in the group but that theory makes no sense because when i switch and do the alert on my healer i am still the target the whole time.. yet when im on my dps im still the target but whoever is healing is not. So what really triggers the hate table i think it has more to do than just being close
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I usually have most of the hate as well. I always carry Distract in my loadout which is a shield/detaunt/CC immunity for multiple reasons but this is one of them. I always tell myself after an alert that I should run the Slayers Sunken Rune pet instead of the shadow bat since I’m involuntarily meleeing anyway and the Sunken Rune does more damage from melee range.
  6. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Maybe you should try "Shadow Concoction" (old consumable which detaunt)...
  7. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

Yeah, if you can find some...
  8. SkullGang Devoted Player

I think it goes who has the most health then who is doing the most damage/healing/pot. There's no 100% prevention for it so I would just get used to it when you have no tank.
  9. Darth Piper Loyal Player

They said they cranked up the hatred of healers a couple of DLCs ago. The way the hate table should work is that if there is no overriding force (tank, someone doing a metric fsck-ton of damage in a short time) the healer is supposed to be the primary target. The recent alerts tend to run a lot smoother when you go with 2 DPS, 1 heal, 1 tank (especially if you can find an earth battle tank who can do lots of damage).
  10. Schimaera Devoted Player

In the alert, or in general, usually a dps "should" have aggro if there is no tank in there. If not, well probably the dps aren't good enough. Over the course of many years of 3-1'ing alerts I rarely see me as healer grab aggro and basically never seen the healer getting aggro when I was dpsing. In league runs, I usually never saw bosses/npcs attacking healers as long as dps were attacking the same target(s). Never.

The only time healers "should" get aggro is from new spawning adds. As soon as they enter combat and get a hate table on their own, healers will usually be top because every heal generates threat. Attacks that don't hit the npc we're looking at here usually generate little to no threat.

There also seems to be threat generation by abilities not hitting anything - usually seen from tanks. If a tank uses a single target ability on a boss with adds around, the adds will also aggro said tank. But let it be known that this isn't guaranteed to keep aggro (as direkt might damage would). Any dps or healer starting right away will grab aggro.

Other games have 3rd person programs (or integrated overlays) that dispay threat. I would love to see the formula behind this for DCUO but bottom line it wouldn't make much sense simply because how tanking works in DCUO.

Long story short, this is basically what it comes down to:

- Tank hits NPC with yellow numbers -> immediately top threat for a certain amount of time
    - Tank hits NPC with strong taunt -> immediatley top threat even above other tanks
    ---- not refreshing aggro causes the tank to fall back in line on the hate table (basically with what they generated by pure damage) and such loses aggro | not refreshing strong taunt also causes a fall-back and such causing a single taunted npc to attack whoever is now 1st on the hate table - usually dps, then healer ----
    - damage and heals (power given?) generate a regular amount of threat, whoever is 1st place for an individual npc gets aggro
    - new npc(s) spwaning and entering combat see the whole room as a blank sheet. Since heals are never targeting enemy NPCs, they generate a global threat by healing others, such usually being 1st threat for the first seconds
    - using abilities seems to generate threat in a small AoE around you and/or around the target. this is why, as I mentioned above, the tank grabs inital aggro even without hitting NPCs surrounding the target. But this would also count for dps when a NPC spawns next to them and they continue targeting the boss. (or it's just the close vacinity that causes it).

- some bosses (like Stompa in the old raids) have proximity aggro. It basically works super easy: Whoever is closest, get's attacked
    - some bosses have scripted aggro drops (or so it seems) or at least scripted group attacks that either target someone farthest way or whoever mets the attacks criteria
    - it seems like shielded bosses in phases start with a new threat table every time they rejoin the battle. Tho usually they do not immediately attack. This can be seen in FB(e) with Alpha Lex and Jimmy Olsen. When Lex joins the fight and isn't immediately aggroed by the tank, he tends to start attacking someone else (it is usually by weapon attacks or a skull which if done right still can be countered/dodged. But this is not guaranteed and if he counters someone (like lunging someone doing ranged attacks may cause a K.O.))

Except from my last point I'm pretty sure about these topics. IIrc, the devs shed some light on it during the Stats Revamp being on PCTest but I might as well be wrong with something. If someone has more in-depth looks that are more based on tests and not ever based on feelings, that would be swell.

What would be really really awesome if the devs could shine some light on it. It wouldn't change anything how we play, really, but it fould satisfy my curiosity ^^
  11. Schimaera Devoted Player

Like with the Controller De-taunts this only works for a couple of seconds. In the recent alert, I'm usually battle trolling since it's faster that way and when I have aggro and use a detaunt, the boss will indeed jump away from me but after a couple of seconds he's back on my **** ^^
    • Like x 1
  12. StealthBlue Loyal Player

My thought at this point is that it has to do with burst numbers, so how large a single hit/heal goes for. In alert runs where I'm a dps and the heals are mostly HoTs, I'll end up being targeted and I have some big individual hits even though someone else may be doing more damage overall. Same with healing, when I'm able to keep the group up with HoTs, I don't think I've usually had the boss on me, but when I have to use the priority heal, the boss seems to stick to me making the job twice as hard.
    • Like x 1
  13. MrStoob Well-Known Player

I find that even when I'm hitting with supertaunts as tank, Lex still gets bored of me at times and decides to attack someone else (particularly on turrets but I dunno if that's scripted), then it seems to take a little while to grab his attention back. *shrug*
  14. Noble One Committed Player

healers then dps. the reason a boss may jump back to you even after dropping aggro for a bit is because your damage is still high. for healers its usually cause for over healing (healing when people are full on hp) thus getting aggro from the boss too. if you are getting aggro even after not attacking for a bit then try not to attack the boss for a good min or 2. waiting till a new phase start (if there is one) will also at times do the trick. normally this will allow others to gain aggro over you. once you start to attack again try not to go full guns blazing as this will land you back at square one. do a rotation then wait a sec then do another. when doing this also try and keep a good distance from the boss as to not gain more then you should with aggro.
    • Like x 1
  15. myandria Item Storage

I don't have much issues with priority heals and boss aggro; I think it depends upon the timing of that priority heal and how much you use it. If I save the team in general from wipe (HP's at or below 50%) then I usually don't get the boss aggro. However, if I use priority heals when the team in general has over 50% HP, then the boss will definitely look my way and attack me.

If you use priority heals a lot, well then; you may as well walk up to the boss, introduce yourself and stand next to the tank.
  16. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Every once in a while he will lunge another player then go back to the tank if you are running with one
  17. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

I'm always in the same boat. Alert bosses love me but I rather that than have them go for the healer. I would never actively try to lose that aggro if we arent running with a tank. I used to think it was because I run a loadout that hits hard and hits fast, but that higher health theory makes sense too because 9 times out of 10 I'm probably the guy with the most health in the group since I spec everything after might into health. Having so much health is also a reason why I dont mind playing pseudo tank in alerts. I have a ton of health and the loadout I run is rarely interrupted so i dont see much damage loss with the boss in my face. And one of my powers does heal me a little bit. I know there are times I probably give the healer a heart attack when I dont roll as soon as I should at some points lol
  18. Schimaera Devoted Player

High health has nothing to do with aggro. Otherwise I would almost all the time not be the target since my single target loadout is maxed might and rest prec. My alts have higher health than my main and still I'm main focus in all boss battles without a tank. So much so that if a tank goes down in a raid, I immediately stop doing rotation and looking for when the boss will lunge me or do another combo so I can counter them.
  19. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

From my understanding, without a tank, the boss goes towards the healer, then dps, then controller.
    If a dps is dishing out a lot of damage per second, then aggro with switch.

On my Rage character, as dps, I'm usually the one with aggro (even if someone is a little higher) and that could be due to my dominance as a dps being up a bit (Omni pieces, generator has Dom), plus I'm using melee.

I would think all numbers are counted in the aggro system. Since as a water healer, I usually have aggro as well (doing a bit more damage than %100 healer setup), plus healing.
    There are times, that I get a super dps in the run, and they hold aggro. Although rare, it happens.
    • Like x 1
  20. Miss Adora Loyal Player

dom has nothing to do with aggro, in that case, it would be Tank then controller, healer, then dps
    • Like x 1