Comic Art base items

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by EconoKnight, Apr 29, 2020.

1. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I really like the old covers I grew up with (from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s), but I enjoy art from all eras. Thanks!

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  2. an81angel Well-Known Player

No sofa? Sounds like you live in a one room apartment/loft? No wonder you only decorate the walls, there's no space to decorate anything else.
  3. Hraesvelg Always Right

Three bedroom house, actually. We prefer recliners and plush chairs. We don't host large gatherings, so we never saw a real need for a sofa. Our den has comfortable seating for six. If anyone ever would have the need to crash, that's what the guest bedroom is for. But keep on making assumptions, LOL.
  4. an81angel Well-Known Player

I plan to. You can't learn about someone if you can't get them talking.
    • Like x 1
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Sometimes you learn too much lol
    • Like x 1
  6. Irvynnge Loyal Player

for me, older ones, definitely, but that's probably because I'm old. we've already got more than enough Superman & Batman, though, so maybe some Green Lantern ( Gil Kane ), Wonder Woman ( Mike Sekowsky ), Teen Titan ( Nick Cardy ), that sort of stuff.
    • Like x 2
  7. an81angel Well-Known Player

True, but the beauty of that is...if you don't like what you learn, you can walk away. If you do like what you learn - awesome!
    • Like x 1
  8. Brit Loyal Player

In the way of selecting Comic Covers, I would ask not for specific iconic covers, but rather for a larger variety of different characters. Metal was a pretty good example of how I don't want things to shake out. While the different covers each are cool, they also follow similar characters in the same overall story, making them feel a little redundant. If you were making specifically a "Dark Knights Metal" base, then maybe they all come in useful, but for most people, there was probably not reason for more than one.

Instead, if we were doing comic covers for Birds of Prey, for example, I would want one that had the Birds of Prey as a team (but not six), and then 1 that was an iconic cover from Harley Quinn, from Catwoman, from Huntress, across their solo series. Maybe the cover for Lex Luthor Man of Steel, and one from an issue of Lois Lane or Superman's Greatest Pal Jimmy Olson. Instead of pulling from a single story arc, there would be samplings from across DC's rich 80 year history, allowing each individual character from the Episode to have a poster specifically designated to them.

As a side note, I think that part of what some players find off-putting about the comic covers is the fact that they are comic covers, which is somewhat emersion breaking when we live in the fictional world of the comic. If possible, it might be preferable to use Virgin versions of those covers, without the title or number, or crop the picture down a bit, so that it feels more like a painting or photo that just has one of those iconic scenes or appearances on it. Having an Action Comics #1 feels a little weird when Superman is your mentor, but having that classic picture of him picking up the car, as though it were an old newspaper headline or something, is actually pretty fitting.
    • Like x 2
  9. Megzilla Developer

No worries, my question doesn't mean we can only do older or newer covers - it was more to gain understanding of what folks would like to see. I haven't been involved with putting comic covers in, so I am not sure if the overlay is part of the deal with licensing, or if we would be allowed to just show the artwork. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
    • Like x 1
  10. Daddy Dangerous Active Player

It's not overly far fetched that in our fictional DCUO universe that fictional publishers would make comics based off the heroes and villains. I'm pretty sure even some of the MCU movies have addressed comics, action figures, trading cards, etc... existing within the MCU. I don't mind to comic cover base items and display many of them in my trophy/museum lair.

My only gripe (and it's entirely possible I missed it) is that there does not appear be a Swamp Thing #1 cover. The Spring seasonal event offers issues #2-10, but not issue #1. My collection feels incomplete. :(
  11. Nodens Dedicated Player

Nah, more likely, you're letting your obsession with comic books distract you from the obvious: Name ONE DC character that literally plasters every surface of his lair with comic book posters. Go ahead, we'll wait.
    If such a thing were actually common, THEN you could use that weak attempt at blaming people for not sharing your weird fetish. Until it becomes common that the heroes in those comics actually do it, perhaps YOU are playing the wrong game.

Most people aren't so juvenile that we'd want all that crap wallpapering out homes.
  12. mrforklift Level 30

Ambush Bug -- wasn't that open world Doomsday mission all about his obsession with comic books

Bat-Mite
  13. inferno Loyal Player

I think it would be a disservice of me to list out a names of artists I admire to the rest of artists who have gotten the privilege of putting out comic covers. Plus, I can list out a few but then I would bereft myself the possibility of experiencing new covers I had not seen before.

Regarding the removal of the titles and issue, that would be a shame in case people end up being interested to know about the story behind the cover. I'm sure one of the reasons DC allowed it is ends up being a promotion and increase interest to read dc comics.

I would also suggest that not only as wall hangings but how about either putting them on a pedestal or like the Eastern Battle Standards but instead of the Chinese scrolls have Covers hanging on it, so that they can be placed as Floot base items.
  14. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I’ve got five foot long Alex Ross paintings hanging up in mine! lol

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  15. ThunderGunExpress Well-Known Player

The last thing I want is to get sucked into some fruitless argument with some unnecessarily cruel internet warrior with some chip on his shoulder, as that is a virtue I do not admire whatsoever...so I'll reply once.

Firstly, I would venture to guess that I'm a more mature, intelligent, well-rounded individual than yourself...especially based upon your response. But that's neither here nor there.
    Secondly.

Obsession? I would say more of a passion. One of a great many.
    Weird fetish? I'm not the OP of this thread, nor the only one who likes comic book art in this thread. Clearly.
    Go hunt down Sam Jackson and tell him he has a weird fetish.

And stating the obvious...you're replying to me on a games forum for DC superheroes. You insult yourself.

I'm a very "live and let live" person, and I don't disparage her taste and preferences, or yours...or anybody's taste.
    More so the argument.

There are some people that are here simply for the gameplay and combat system.
    There are some people who don't have any interest in their bases or base items at all.
    There are some people here that love the characters from movies and television, but haven't cracked open a comic book in their life.
    There are some who like comic book stories, but don't retain the names of the writers and artists. Just like there are some who like movies and tv shows, but don't retain the names of the actors or directors.

To each their own.

My sister sent me an e-mail not too long ago of a list. I replied, "I'm not sure why you sent me this...other than to tell me you've developed a taste in really bad music?" She replied with a laugh and told me she's hunting down music for my niece to take to summer camp with her...but agreed with my statement.
    And while I certainly hope some of my tastes and mannerisms rub off on my nieces, I wouldn't want their tastes to parrot mine. Not only do I not disparage them developing their own tastes...I encourage it.

I have a couple of pieces of original art, but I've never had it hanging on my walls.
    I used to have concert posters (a really cool one of the closing of the Winterland Theater by Stanley Mouse and Alton Kelley) and movie posters hanging...but I don't any longer.
    I am friends with a comic book inker, and he has some beautiful art hanging on his walls. He also has more that's not hanging, like an original piece of art from "Kingdom Come" (it was beautiful to behold) and an original George Pérez Spider-Man. Stuff the people who do like comic book art in this thread would probably be jealous of...but I don't think he would disparage anyone for not sharing his taste either.
    Years ago we took a family trip to Quebec City to go see exhibitions of Pablo Picasso and Auguste Rodin, which happened to be at the same time at different locations. (The late Jeff Healey and his band were staying at our hotel too so chatting with him was an added bonus for me. I'd met him once before but we had a good chat the 2nd time.)
    The point being I have a wide variety of tastes. I appreciate art.

I would actually heed her opinion a little more if she didn't collect comics, which is why the argument doesn't really hold water for me.

Covers, by design, are intended to sell the product inside.
    That's why more often than not the covers are more dazzling than the stories inside, especially in the old days. Like I said when I posted those covers. A common complaint of the old days was that what was happening on the covers didn't happen inside.
    That's why variant covers are so popular again these days (arguably to the detriment of the industry). Though, if we're choosing current offerings to give us to hang in our bases, I'd say that would be a good choice. There's some beautiful DC variant covers these days by the likes of Joshua Middleton, Jenny Frison, Kaare Andrews, Olivier Coipel and the like.

It's more of a rarity that both the covers and the stories inside are great. If so, like in "Batman Year One"...it's an added bonus.
    Occasionally, the covers aren't that thrilling but the story is great, like taking Alan Moore's "Watchmen" as an example. The covers weren't particularly attention grabbing...but what made them interesting was that they were intended to be the first panel of the story inside. So when you're talking about sequential art...that makes them unique.

Frank Frazetta did some beautiful covers for authors like Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard and many others.
    I've never read this book, but I can appreciate the art right now.

[IMG]

I can appreciate a good album cover, even if I don't feel like "grooving tonight and tasting the spice of life" at this very moment (...though I do on occasion dig me some Earth, Wind & Fire).

[IMG]

I enjoy the art of old pulp fiction novels, though I've read very few.

[IMG]

(Oh if only this book was real. I would have read it backwards and forwards.)

I love movie posters too.
    Drew Struzan has done some of the movie posters we love, and there's been some crossover in comics as well. Because he has some sort of weird fetish.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

And guess what? I have no vines, rainbows, penguins, dinosaurs or snow clouds in my home either.

And don't get me wrong. I love windows and skylights and pets for our bases too. I think everyone agrees that the base items for this spring seasonal is some of their best work yet.

My base is not my home and I'm not flying around in real life.
    So the fact that the characters don't have art in their "lairs" is immaterial.

I'm playing this game because I grew up with these characters.
    The very few comics I read these days, and for the last 20 years or so, tend not to be superhero comics, unless I hear something really special about the story and writing. I find them a little juvenile for my taste. Though I don't disparage anyone who does. Again...to each their own.

But I do still like the characters that I grew up with, and I do still appreciate the artwork.

In closing...I'm not telling them to get rid of your beloved cardboard boxes.
    You don't want comic book art hanging in your base? Don't claim it or display it.

To ask them not to give it to us because you don't like it sounds a little selfish to me.

And perhaps try to communicate your thoughts without being mean for no good reason.
    • Like x 1