How much Group Heal goes out if you Dps?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dominic Blue, May 4, 2020.

1. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

As the thread topic says does anyone know the percentage of when a Heal power player who's in Dps role still does group heals in his loadout? Does any of those heals go the group actually. I wondered this the other day as I ran Clocktower raid with a random group on an alt. The group was upset with this Electric who insisted he had enough heals for us despite being in Damage stance. He said he was doing millions of heals but to be honest I didn't notice it much because I had to pop soders and supply drops constantly to survive. Finally after a few wipes the group kicked him because he refused to switch to Support because he was insistent he had enough heals for the group. Just to humor myself is there any truth to this? I'm not sure exactly since I mostly Dps or Tank myself and not extremely familar with the Healer role.
  2. Mazahs Loyal Player

When you switch from DPS to healer, you receive additional 35% resto (according to DCUO Wiki)
    As for their heals I couldn't really say (never tried this) I do know that in DPS role Arc lightning will in fact heal
    but it's fairly weak compared to healer role.

I just checked my healer alt DPS CR 301 / Heal CR 298
    Here's the numbers from being in main role and then just switching role

DPS 17,190 resto switched to Healer role 22,175 resto
    Healer 37046 switched to DPS role 28,839

I'm also guessing that he was likely using a more DPS centric loadout, yes he will see numbers but they are greatly reduced.
    • Like x 1
  3. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Lol that's funny sounds like he was battling healing or just testing something . I will speak from my perspective and Not enough heals imo. I always heal in healer role with full healer gear and all etc .

He should of went into event or grouped up with friends or his league if he had one but don't bring that crap into a raid where folks want you to heal and stop fooling around.

I will also say SMFH. I feel sorry for that troll lol can't imagine he/she was happy about the game that player was playing . But there is a few who can battle heal ,battle troll and battle tank pretty good but from the sound of this that player wasn't even doing that if he got kicked.
    • Like x 1
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I've seen it the other way around, where someone is in heal stance, but not putting out much heal because they are 'battle healing', doing heals in dps roll is the odd way of doing it and expecting a good result. I guess the advantage of being in DPS roll is you keep the heal-less buff and still get to put out your trickle of healing. I'd have checked the heals out stat though before kicking...just to see if he was doing 'millions' in healing. I've had at least half that in healing out before in DPS roll if I drink a lot of soders, and drop my SD more than a few times and i'm no healer.

Now....I have done the same where I've been in dps stance on my Quantum and if I see some are struggling for power, I'll put in Temporal Extortion to bolster things a bit, but if the group consensus was to switch, I'd have switched...unless like Flawless said I was running with friends or league where I was testing something and they joined knowing that.
    • Like x 2
  5. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

Dpsing in healer role has become an interesting trend- it's really only useful if you're running a 25% supercharge and eye of gemini in my opinion, but especially so if you have a healer or tank using a supercharge so you can feed off each other.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

This is why I'm against randomly queuing for large group content.
  7. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Yeah I agree but one's Leagues and friends can't be depended on every time. Also LFG can be sometimes not feasible either as certain times of the day you'll get very few takers. PUGing for raids though does make you meet some interesting er annoying players though that's for sure. I know when I first played DCUO I needed to learn some things as I went along but boy some of us seem to figure out how to make more mistakes than I'm sure most people wouldn't think of doing in the first place.
  8. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

He was doing millions in healing as he said (can't really remember exactly I think he said 50 million but it was more like 32 million maybe) but I suspect it was lower than an endgame OP player SHOULD be at this episode AND most of those heals were probably accounting for himself. He was probably ok with his healing cause it was keeping him alive but not accounting for what the Tank and Troll were doing either. Plus when you're at the end boss for Clocktower or Brimstone those Oracle and Luthor waves do massive damage for you if you're not shielded or getting priority heals. That's why I notice Dps going down earlier than Support usually. Yeah I know it'd be nice if people avoided the mechanics to not get damage by the waves but so far only dedicated players seem to get that.
  9. Brit Loyal Player

If he's in DPS role, he loses the Healer role Restoration Buff. But even that buff is going to pale in comparison to the amount of stats you get off of gear. If he's wearing his full Healer gear, his Restoration might still be moderately respectable, whereas in DPS gear, it'll be garbage. Things like Augments and Skill Point allocation can also effect this.

But the biggest issue comes down to how powers act. While Arc Lightning is an example of a power that behaves identically in both the DPS and Healer role, hitting a combination of friendly and enemy targets, bouncing around, and healing the friendlies while damaging the enemies, other powers have an either-or approach. (I'm going to reference Nature because I know the power names for Nature Healing off the top of my head). Savage Growth, in comparison, deals damage and places a DoT when you are in the DPS role, and it heals and places an HoT when you are in the Healer role. Because of differences like that, several core healer powers stop healing when you toggle to DPS role, which then means that your ability to heal is inhibited, not by your restoration and stats, but by the fact you are trying to heal with a 2-3 power loadout.
    • Like x 2
  10. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Healing in dps role, seems to me, to be cut by more than %50. Let's use numbers, because I actually wanted to test a dps/heal rotation in full healer gear, but in dps role. I used water and electric to see if it was possible, just after the DLC dropped.

Healer role vs dps. (H vs D)
    Priority heal 14-15k-H, 5-7k-D
    Group heal 11-12k-H, <5k-D
    8 man heal 12k-H, 4.5-5k-D
    Arc lighting 11k-H, 4-5k-D
    • Like x 1
  11. Darth Piper Loyal Player

This sounds somewhat comparable to Electrogenesis. In Damage role it places a damage aura on the 2 closest enemies and that damage will spread to other enemies nearby. In Healer role it places a healing aura on yourself and your nearest ally, and that aura will spread some heals to nearby allies as well. From my understanding of that power (I've only been doing Electric healing for a DLC or two now) it doesn't do damage when in healer role and doesn't heal when in damage role.
    • Like x 1
  12. Darth Piper Loyal Player

The only two powers I've seen successfully set up "battle healers" that have worked are Celestial and Nature... though I've heard possibilities with Electricity. I know that for Celestial, your bread and butter as a battle healer is Malediction/Benediction (might have the order reversed on that combo) and Death Mark/Blessing. Both of those combos deal damage and heal, with the DMcB combo also providing a shield. Brit provided some info about moves for Nature and mentioned one for Electricity.

As to moves that behave differently, also consider Blessing (Celestial), Flux (Electricity), Boon of Souls (Sorcery)... in Healer role they shield you and the three weakest... but in Damage role they are individual shields... so you go from a four-man shield to a one-man shield.

In short, no... your healer screwed himself and the group by being in damage role while attempting to heal. If anything you want to do it the opposite way... be in healer role with moves that do damage... because that is the only way you have a chance of pushing out sufficient healing for the group... unless he's padding his healing numbers by dropping supply drops on NPCs.
  13. xm3n3hun3 Well-Known Player

it's likely as an electric healer - in an alert (4-man) - he can will be fine - IF the rest of the players actually block to regen health.
    I've already 4-man dps'd the latest alert and this can be done, but for PUGs it may be near impossible - since I believe the quality/knowledge of the player is lacking - thus for a 8-man raid - the group likely doesn't block enough.
    you'll notice once you're over geared for the content - usually just the DLC prior to the present - you can just DPS - no support roles required - but again quality/knowledge of the player comes into play.

I think the devs should make it a feat - to 4 man dps an alert - the really good players will be able to get thru it.
    Perhaps the devs could have a 2 star feat if you get thru using the DLC current gear. AND make it a 3 star feat if you use gear from the DLC prior.

as for the 8-man's, regular content might be near impossible without at least one of the roles - whoever tries to play tank as a DPS would likely go down fairly often due to low defense - even with symbol of seven artifact and guardian angel mod for the neck.

trying to kill a boss without a troll debuff'g and controlling mobs will also test most players to their limit. I'm thinking 100+min raid....

doing without a healer - maybe possible, but would likely take timely supply drops to be shared, change of loadouts for many dps' since most don't use a shield and attention to game mechanics.

There are some really good battle tanks, trolls and healers out there - but wearing dps gear and trying to do the support role - likely won't work - unless perhaps you had multiple dps' doing the same thing.... perhaps along the lines of at least 4? electric dps' for healing? or maybe not - the tank may need to play turtle - and the troll might have to redirect attention away from him/herself - which then would have dps' going down much more frequently and with the current lag that's ongoing - pickups will likely be missed.

I think healing as a dps will work in older content - likely not in the present content due to too many factors - unless it was a feat - then maybe players would consider it and actually become a superior dps player - not just because they led on the scoreboard....

as an example nature dps can heal fairly well in older content (alerts) though I haven't attempted this in raids.... (of course it was a PUG and I didn't mean to throw out heals to the group, but I was :) though this was some time ago.... I wonder if it holds true???
  14. xm3n3hun3 Well-Known Player

just a FYI - if you switch to precision based instead of might based - you too can battle (name your role) - though for tanking - I'm unsure with their powersets (atomic? ice?) since they really seem to be more might based than earth, rage, fire....

you'll need a LOT of skill points - you must fill out your resto stats, crits,magnitude,resto)
    (you should also fill out the breakout stats and do weapon mastery)
    you'll change yourself from might to prec based in your generator
    you'll also change your augments (as you don't need the stats - your gear is more than enough)
    your skill level and knowledge of the game and your power must increase to know when to block, when to use your HoTs, how to use your HoT (do you have a burst heal that bursts at the beginning? or at the end?) ensure your rotation of powers doesn't drain the troll (this may take lots of testing with friends/leaguemates)

as for myself - I battle heal - when I feel like it - when my dps stats are within several hundred thousand of heal stats - that's pretty much normal for an alert. When dps stats are greater than heal stats - that's often a sign of a much smarter/stronger group of dps' (as they don't need as much heals -they know when to block, move etc)

one other note.... I'm prec dom based water - I have been for years.... (prior sorcery might/prec dom based)
    so I use dom augments (origin x 4) and prec augments (adaptive x 2)
    you do this - after many discussions where the DPS' would like to feel the support roles are contributing more....(damage).

but since I PUG quite a lot - I build for survivability - which means I use shields and block and will often try to pick up a player (as opposed to a player - [mostly dps' but I wonder about the support roles or they could just be zoomed in and don't see the whole field] - who just tries to finish content, often won't pick up, scoreboard chaser)

BTW in 4 man content - I think it's better for the healer to battle mini-tank the bosses as opposed to a DPS doing it....
  15. Walvine Well-Known Player

Wouldn't considered this healing but has its benifit in pug alerts playing when every one is dps.
    Nature powerset.
    Savage growth burst attack with full dps build nature gurila does multple tics 500 - 600 average non crit heals (you could swap in a resto aug but the higher your sc seemlingy the more heal crits occur) in rapid succession that small steam of heal is basically reversal of health regeneration out side combat while in combat , So if any in group pulled aggro and in low health just by using terrain object as obstacle barrier from which ever danger is chasing them (aka cat and mouse strategy) for few seconds is just enough for savage growth to recover hp their.
    So when you are in group content and see stream of heals above your head with no healer in group those heals are coming from that big bulky grunting gorila thats aways near the top of dps in score card.
  16. Darth Piper Loyal Player

I agree with the needing a lot of SPs to do this... you have to acquire a lot of extra crits and stats to set them up...

Where I disagree is with "precision"... especially when it comes to Celestial, Nature, or Electricity (healing) and Quantum or Gadgets (trolling). Every power you toss from one of those does damage. Some suffer from "reduced damage but increased healing." For a troll, the debuffs are also damaging moves... which means you want your might as high as you can get it so they do as much damage as possible.