Will DC gen 5 fail/success effect dcuo?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dark Soldier, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

First of all.... this thread really should have taken place in another spot... but, oh well.

I agree with you 100%. Personally I have nothing against characters from different races or orientations. As you said, the problem is when a character like this is created, then thrust into the limelight as a replacement for a long standing beloved character only for publicity. Everyone knows it's just a gimmick, that's why they're so upset, not because they're racist. I think race bending characters just to race bend also leaves people with that same feeling.

Be original and create somebody new such as Vic Stone (Cyborg), who has only grown in popularity since his introduction in the 80's and is one of my favorite DC characters. He went from being a New Teen Titan to a founding member of the JLA in the DCEU. Don't replace Bruce Wayne with Luke Fox and claim he's the new Batman. Only to replace him with Bruce Wayne in about a year and then throw him off into obscurity. That's just insulting.

I think that's the main reason why people are so negative about 5G. (continuity aspect aside... which is another mess in its own right) It is replacing Flash, Superman, Batman and GL (I haven't read anything about WW) for a short period of time, in hopes that sales will boost again when the originals are brought back. It's a gimmick that both Marvel and DC (Didio in particular) have used repeatedly and readers are tired of it.

How many times do they think we will fall for the same trick?
  2. FoolsFire Devoted Player

https://www.comichron.com/vitalstatistics/mediancoverprices.html

Pay particular attention to DC and Marvel from 1984-1990.

[IMG]

Marvel Prices
    1984-1985 - 10-15¢ cheaper
    1988-1999 - 25¢ more expensive
    40¢ increase in 4 years ($1 in 2020 money)

To try and justify DC being higher during those years they used Baxter Paper. A higher quality paper which had a flat white appearance. Marvel also used this paper but mostly for reprinted material at a premium price.
  3. Fearlantern77 Well-Known Player

I hope Not! Like at all, Disney's treats their property like trash. They don't care about anything but the profits. They think quantity over Quality, Starwars is proof of that and treat marvel comic division like it's not revelant. Also Disney's being all light hearted and family friendly vibe a Turn off. DC has more depth, with compelling characters and Stories imo.
  4. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

No this is the right spot.
    Because if our opinions really do matter n impact the game, i think now is the time to let the devs know we want to keep nonsense democrat politics out of the game.
    Who knows, two dlcs from now it could be generation 5 related & alr set in stone.
    • Like x 1
  5. Hurly-Burly Active Player

Many of the people against taking certain characters are unaware that there is a Black Green Lantern & Captain America......It does not bother me as a Black man because our culture has been pretty much used by everyone, to pander certain groups. K-pop is pretty much Koreans taking our culture, & pandering it to their demographic. Em pretty much admitted he uses Black culture to pander to whites to make himself wealthy; because that is mostly who listens to him.....

"Let's do the math; if I was black, I would've sold half."

"To do black music so selfishly
    And use it to get myself wealthy"

Country music was slave music, but you would never now by the demo it panders to now......(Then got the nerve to shun Lil Nas lol)......Same with Rock.

Existing heroes still exist, so I don't get the outrage.....Ya'll gotta lighten up....
    • Like x 2
  6. Controller Devoted Player

Also - I think "Race Bending" is mostly a FAIL...

I think it DOES work if the actor / actress is decent....I think a good example of this is the new Catwoman[IMG]

Ms. Zoe DOES have some solid acting chops (loved her role in Mad Max Fury Road and the sleeper hit "The Kin")....

I thought Race Bending was a FAIL in the "other" Fantastic Four movie, with Human Torch played by Michael B. Jordan....and I think MBJ is a GREAT actor but shame on FOX for trying this.......

Heroes like John Stewart HAVE been around for a LONG time...I think John was "born" in 1972 in Green Lantern #87

[IMG]

Icon (Augustus Freeman IV) was "born" in the early 90s as the brainchild of Dwayne McDuffie and Denys Cowan

Diverse heroes / heroines...villains / villainesses - ARE out there if writers / producers stop being lazy.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  7. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord finds this news very disturbing. Fine if you want to change certain characters then do so but BATMAN? Luke Fox has no right to be Batman. If any one gets that right it is Tim, Damien or Duke. People have every right to be upset. What if they rebooted one of my favorite shows like Good Times and made them a poor white family in a trailer park? Or if they rebooted The Jefferson's and made them Koreans in California? How about Sanford and Son and make them Indians that own a 99 cent store? The Holey one says do you know why you can not do that? Because it is wrong.

As far as people of color being represented in comics well DC comics needs to step their game up but replacing already established characters who have been around for more than 75 years is insane. Cyclops will always be the leader of the X men. Why because he came first but was he the BEST leader? No. Storm will always be the greatest leader in X men history. The comic sales will back up that fact. She did not need some bald guy in a wheelchair telling her what to do.
    • Like x 1
  8. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

I may be wrong, and I’d have to do the research, but to my knowledge any time there’s been a change, it doesn’t erase the history of a character. In my opinion, any time the same character has changed races, it’s been for the better. Take Nick Fury. Samuel L Jackson did a better job than David Hasselhoff lol.
    I think in a lot of these cases, having a person of color take up the mantle of a hero doesn’t take away from that hero (again, my opinion) for example, Miles Morales. Excellent character. Peter Parker still exists too. Batwing is another. Bruce Wayne still exists.
    Idk just my thoughts on it.
  9. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

Catwoman is an excellent example. A lot of that does depend on the actress. I think the new Catwoman will be incredible. Far better than what we got with Halle Barre (idk if I spelled that right)
    • Like x 2
  10. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Did you really leave Dick Grayson off of that list? (I'm sorry.... Ric Grayson as he's now known ) I do believe the Lord has just committed blasphemy.
    • Like x 3
  11. Controller Devoted Player

I'd like to shoot down some lazy generalizations of Augustus Freeman I've read online in some areas:

He is "NOT" too OP - he was meant to be Superman's equal and has his OWN "kryptonite" in a vigilante named "Payback" from Milestone Comics. He was mortally wounded and almost died from a confrontation with him.

[IMG]

He ALSO fell in combat with the Blood Syndicate

[IMG]

He DID start out as an "uppity Black" and VERY conservative BUT grew more as a person and in his ideas due to his close friendship with Raquel Irvin (Rocket). She persuaded him to become a Superhero when she first witnessed him flying.

I believe he ALSO became introverted due to his superpowers making him nearly immortal. His spaceship crash landed on Earth in 1839 and his ship changed his DNA to match that of a slave lady named Miriam who became his mother. This process also gave him his powers, unbeknownst to him at the time. As he grew up he married, almost had a child but chose not to carry it to term because he thought the birth could endanger his wife.

His wife eventually passed due to cancer and that made him retreat into his shell, it seemed, as I was reading. He watched all his loved ones pass away while he remained to this day - until he met Rocket.

[IMG]

Their relationship spanned around 40-50 issues in the 90s...and eventually Milestone's "Dakotaverse" merged into DC.

He encountered Superman a few times, with epic results for both.

I believe most of his and Rocket's issues are on Amazon. Check them out for yourself. GREAT reading.

Keep sleeping on these diverse characters, DC....bring them to the Big Screen.
    • Like x 1
  12. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord will never over look Dick Grayson but he has had a turn as Batman and in his opinion Dick is the only one that can do Bruce justice. If we are going to pick a future replacement then it has to be Tim, Damien or Duke. If Jon Kent is replacing Superman he has to be grown.
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

See, here's the thing. A lot will probably depend on what year they use as their starting point, but if they do the same thing as the Generations books? The starting point there was 1939, and the costumes of both Batman and Superman reflected their original looks. By the time they reached 1969-1979, Bruce was very much showing his age and Clark had to use make-up to look older to maintain his Clark Kent identity.

Without any of the same sort of cheats/shortcuts/writer's tricks used by Byrne, Bruce would most likely have died by this point in time and any of the other characters mentioned could/would be rather advanced in age. So none of them would be in a position to BE Batman anymore.

Again, a lot depends on when they start and where along the timeline they'd introduce certain characters (or if they did actually use all the characters). But there's no guarantee the characters we think would be the heirs to the mantle would still be around to take up the mantle, and it's entirely possible that those legacy characters already HAVE passed the mantle to the new characters.

Besides, who would have thought some new young punk named McGuiness had any right to be Batman? ;)
    • Like x 1
  14. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord must admit those Generations books were some of his favorite reading material. He thinks Dick took over as Batman early 60's and was killed in 69 by the Joker and that's when BJ took over. It might of been in the late 70's when Bruce took off in search off Ras and they both entered the Lazarus pit together. BJ then in early 90's found Bruce in the mountains and Bruce took back the mantle of Batman and BJ became the new head of the Demon. The Holy one asks what happened to BJ after that? Did he die naturally of did he dip him self in the Lazarus pit as well?
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Had to look into the Generations 2 series, and BJ is shown running around in 1997 as Batman and shown in the 2008 section in coming to see his mother on her deathbed. Nothing more after that about what he was doing. I don't think he tried the Lazarus Pit, though, as he looked physically older than Bruce.
  16. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

I know what you meant. I was just playing. Dick's taken over the mantle twice (at least). We've been there, done that. Can't imagine they'd be able to write anything better than the run they gave him when Damian was his partner.

Nobody knows about the fifth generation, but here's a breakdown for the first four generations.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  17. Black Jaq Devoted Player

This is a bit of digression but I'm kinda tired of the JLA being a "big 7" version. Victor was the only POC and then we had Jessica, John and Simon who take turns. I'm not saying John Stewart shouldn't be in the book but we could have Guy for a while if Black Lightning and/or Vixen were returned to the League. Or get Dr. Light into the league. It sounds like I'm trying to bring back a JLI lineup and maybe I am.
    • Like x 1
  18. SigmaAtom Committed Player

MAN.. I was always a Hal Jordan guy, the 1950s clean cut but fighter pilot americana rock n roll (even though I'm Scottish).. I always thought John Stewart was boring but after John 'Diggle' Stewart in the Arrowverse.. welp, they have my excitement, they have my interest, and most importantly they have my attention!

I am totally ready to absorb every detail about John Stewart and for them to make me a huge fan.

Will they?.. nope. From what I hear.. even though David Ramsey is up for it.. sadly.. word is; no John Stewart GL TV show.

wow.

Way to monopolize on your existing assets and.. instead of just making up some SJW nonsense.. use who you already have in a US minority.

I wasn't mad The Flash TV show made Evan McCulloch female.. I was mad they made her American! *thee only* Scottish character in the whole of DC.. they reconted to an American. Just mean hearted and nasty.. or poorly researched!
  19. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I know the devs probably wont confirm or deny if these changes will hit a dcuo dlc.
    But if we all atleast mention dcuo once in our post even if its at the end, this thread wont get taken down or pushed to funhouse
  20. Wildcat Committed Player

OMG

[IMG]
    • Like x 1