Which Power Should I Choose?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Snazzy, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Snazzy New Player

Hello,
    I'm returning to game after about not playing in about 3-4 years, I decided to get legendary for just one month to see how I like it (and so I could see all the new powers). I was just wondering if there were certain powers anyone recommended, outside the F2P ones. I'm not looking for the strongest power (unless it's the most fun) but the more "fun" powers to play with that won't get boring quickly. Any suggestions?
  2. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

• Warning: The DCUO forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone.
    I swear if I see one of these types of questions one more time! How is it that you are asking other people to choose a power for you? And what really made me laugh is when you stated "I'm not looking for the strongest power, but the more fun powers to play with that wont get boring quickly."

The thing is...how in the world can I know your preferences? Just because I think a power is fun doesn't mean that you would. It's literally vice versa when it comes to this topic. Never, ever let someone else make a decision of what power "YOU" want to play. If anything, instead of letting other people choose what you do with your own money, why not go on Youtube, look at "All" of the available powersets and then make "YOUR" decision on the matter. Please for the love of all things in this world, stop asking other people what power "YOU" should be using for "YOUR" own personal needs or playstyle. I'm trying to be respectful because of guideline rules but when I see questions like this I get pretty much triggered.

Want my suggestion? I suggest you do your own research and decide on the power that you feel will suit your playstyle more than the others. I don't know you, how you think, or what makes you tick. That is all down to you and you alone.

USE YOUTUBE!!!
  3. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

A random person in the world asking a preference about what power others suggest triggers you? You should reread your whole response and think about how it sounds. I sure as hell wouldnt want a response from the community like yours.

Yeah, it would be better to experience the powers for himself, but the forums are here for one of those reasons and he has every right to ask the question he did. You were utterly rude from my standpoint, and I just figured I would call you out on it. It doesnt bother me that he wants to ask questions. Its a game. It gets under your skin because someone asks a question and has nothing to do with you.

OP, I enjoy Ice very much. But I think Im in the 1% here when I say that. Gadgets, Light, and Quantum are others that people quite enjoy. Welcome back. :D
    • Like x 2
  4. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

combo you want Celestial...light still works to some degree too....straight 123 might based..i enjoy muni it has mobility punch range shields melee AoE its fun...Earth works well too...if you like the companion idea Earth has a nice pet too...if you think weapon attacks are the best way to dps then just pick any power with a shield, weapon damage boost power...etc...stuff to do in between weapon combos that help keep youre weapon combos going...i left out a LOT of powers...dont misunderstand me i have 32 toons...i have ALL the powers...seems Q and Sorc , Gadgets...could be good for prec...might for Ice...lots of powers..lots of possibilities...powers have in many ways been made more useful generally...not quite AM oh well
  5. Brit Loyal Player

I'm going to give you a real suggestion here. If you want to not-get-bored-quickly, then definitely do not be a ranged DPS. Most powersets are going to fall to one basic loadout per role (maybe two, with minor changes depending on AE vs single target). That's going to mean that any character is largely going to be using the same powers and doing the same thing, and over time (at least for me) doing the same thing starts to get boring.

If you want to keep things fresh and exciting, then you need to play something that is more REactive, something that requires you to always be watching and always stay on your toes, analyzing every situation.

So be a TANK. Tanks have, in my opinion, the single most responsibility in any fight. They have to know the bosses animations so that they can watch for the big attacks. They have to know the fight positioning so that they can keep the rest of the group safe. They have to watch the boss attacks so that they can farm blue immunities (or at least avoid giving it). They have to always be watching for and gathering adds so that their support doesn't get killed while the Tank is busy with the boss. They have to know and do everything, with typically a very low margin for error, even when content is new and they don't have much experience with it.

So if you want a constantly changing and evolving gameplay experience that never seems to get boring, be a Tank.

(If you don't want to Tank, my recommendations would then proceed with Melee DPS -> Healer -> Controller -> Ranged DPS, based on the amount of things that you need to be paying attention to at any given time, but Tank is definitely the most involved in multi-tasking, so they are the least likely to be boring.)

Of the Tank powersets, Rage seems to be the strongest (but with the Rage Crash mechanic where if you screw up a power rotation, then you die. This makes them challenging in the beginning, but once you have a feel for them, it becomes a lot easier). Through the middle of the pack, you'll see Earth, Atomic, and Ice all performing well, with Earth probably being the easiest of the three. Ice is more re-active in that you must be able to anticipate spike damage for shield stacking, but because Ice shields so well, at times it doesn't feel the same pressure of a tank that takes a lot of damage. Atomic is strong, but has the added pressure of maintaining high combos. This can make it have a slightly higher skill level required, but it can also make it feel a bit rotation heavy and repetitive.

But if you want a real, bonafide challenge, Fire Tanks are rough. You double your health, so you end up needing to self-heal to supplement the healers in the group. If you want a truly challenging and constantly intense gameplay experience, be a Fire Tank. Anything short of awesomeness will cause your world to come crashing down.

That being said, you spoke specifically about grabbing a powerset that is not a free power, because you're only Legendary for a month. At the end of your Legendary month, you will revert to Premium status and have 6 active character slots. I would personally recommend just making a Rage, Atomic, and Earth character (the 3 non-free Tanks). When one starts to feel boring, you can rotate.

Lots of stuff can be powerful (Rage Tanks and Rage DPS are both really powerful). But if exciting is what you want, then you want something more actively involved. I can ranged Electric DPS and top the charts while also watching TV and barely glancing at the screen. Powerful, but not exciting. If you want the game to require 100% of your attention and keep you on the edge of your seat, be a Tank.

And if you want it to require 110% of your attention, and make you feel like you are constantly trying to swim upstream, be a Fire Tank. Because if you become a truly awesome Fire Tank, people are going to remember you.
    • Like x 2
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Out of the handful of powers I've played, I think Quantum is the most fun. With Quantum Tunneling you can teleport in and out of a mob, pick up allies if they go down, etc. And if your favorite color is blue this is totally the power for you.
    • Like x 2
  7. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Ultimately the power you choose will come down to whether or not you intend to do the role side as well as the DPS side. Does your play style gravitate towards being a tank where you have to be up front and attempt to control a boss or some adds so the rest of the group can do its thing? Or maybe towards a controller where you need to sit further back and be more observant, plying your trade with stuns, debuffs, power resupply, and some group shielding? Or are you the healer type who also sits a little further back, restores health to the injured, and shields them from incoming damage? If you want to play one of those roles you'll restrict your choices based on them. In terms of DPS, certain powers will do much better when up close and personal (read: in melee range) while others will do their best work from a little further back.

It all comes down to how you want to play. As it's been suggested, look on youtube for some videos on the different powers. Take the information they give you and use it as a basis. Modify things to better suit your play style. Then go have fun. :)

Tanks: Atomic, Earth, Fire, Ice, Rage
    Controllers: Gadgets, Hard Light, Mental, Munitions, Quantum
    Healers: Celestial, Electricity, Nature, Sorcery, Water
  8. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

You, my friend, are a great salesman. I'm a Gadgets DPS and even I got all pumped up after reading your piece.
    • Like x 1
  9. Tracmar Well-Known Player

Also a returning player here and wanted to ask the same question as OP ..but did not want to trigger anyone into having a heart attack lol

Coming back , before i quit a few years ago was playing as electric and is still running with it . As it has been pointed out already, it is quite easy to use with pretty much your whole combo being 12345 ..rinse and repeat. The damage is pretty good for situations where there are a lot of mobs , and single target can be a hit and miss .

Do not go by the numbers that people put out in content as a returning player as most of them have 160 artifacts and that affects your damage in a huge way. Stick to normal dpsing and picking up the melee try hard dpses when the boss kills them :)

If you are primarily focused on support roles, focus on getting your artifacts to at least 80.

From what I have observed , the most "fun" power where you are pretty much doing a lot of stuff is melee/close range gadgets . Both might and prec based builds are good to put the numbers up.

Question :

Now that it is out of way, back to my question ...I am not into too much fun where I have to end up doing a lot of things . ( playing on a keyboard with limited fingers ) . Are there any powers that can do decent single and multi target damage but at mid to full range ?

Based on the current situation I am leaning towards Nature , or sticking to electric or quantum . I would prefer to do a support role as tank or troll so a bit indecisive .

Any help would be appreciated !

Thank you
  10. Nogreen Active Player

I would suggest you try all those you think looks fun, why? Because you have 16character slots, your bound to find some power mix that you like to play.
    It dont hurt to delete a character, just dont give them "fancy" things untill your sure you will keep them.
    It does not take long to level from 1 to 2x and you should by then have found out if you like the powers you picked.
    I would like to suggest that you pick Flying for the first or the few first, it makes it more easy to explore the map as a flying character.
    I have 17 different characters atm and i cannot name one specific power that is the Best or most fun to play, i play them all and when im tired playing one i just load another character and i have deleted some and thats why i am saying "it dont hurt to delete a character".
    I know i didnt reply like you asked, but i Really hope this will help you have fun ingame.
    Get in there and try them out and Remember, it is your time and you pick what you want and Enjoy the time.
    Good luck.
  11. L T Devoted Player

Gadgets has very strong mid/full range rotations for both multi and single target. That's probably tops.
    Fire has almost-as-good full range rotations for single and multi target. Heat Vision with the Solar Amplifier artifact at 80+ really helps Fire.
    Quantum has decent rotations for both multi and single target, at full range. You have to be good at managing time bomb or you'll lose out in the scoreboard-chasing race.
    Atomic has no good single-target rotations at any range. But at mid-range the damage is quite strong. Atomic Tanking feels kind of broken to me at the moment though.

Good Luck!
  12. Tracmar Well-Known Player

Thanks a lot for the inputs . And thank you for the information on Fire. I was fire for a very very long time , till I started getting kicked off groups because no one wanted a fire dps . Glad to see the numbers are good now !
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Mental.

Because you're going to HAVE to do some mental gymnastics in order to make it function correctly.
    • Like x 1
  14. Awsome Well-Known Player

The easiest powerset in my opinion based on your criteria is Munitions. You really only need to worry about staying back and keeping everyone in your cone of damage. Not a terrible amount of movement, and great mid to full range dps.