New Abilities

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Raven Roth, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Raven Roth Committed Player

A new powerset isn't happening anytime soon and we're getting bored of using the same abilities so how's about adding at least one new ability to our current powers? They could work as 2000 Supercharge cost abilities.

Light - Construct Pet: Summon a Nightmare Construct/Humanoid Construct.

Rage - Blind Rage: Causes nearby enemies to become infected with rage and attack each other.

Mental - Astral Projection: Separate your spirit from your body for a short time becoming immune to damage and most crowd control.

Water - Eel Frenzy: Summon electric eels to entangle and electrocute enemies.

Celestial - Dark Tenebrae: Summon three giant shadowy tentacles from the ground to attack nearby enemies.

Quantum - Portal: Open a gateway at two points that can be used by yourself and allies.

Nature - Lion/Lioness Form.

Sorcery - Bind: Traps enemies in magical cages damaging them over time.

Earth - Tunnel: Sink underneath the ground becoming stealthed, when you emerge all enemies are knocked back and are damaged.

Fire - Fire Breath.

Ice - Absolute Zero: Freezes all enemies who attack you.

Electricity - Ride the Lightning: Teleport forward dealing damage upon activation and when reaching your destination.

Gadgets - Power Armor: Gain an armored suit increasing your toughness, precision, and might.

Atomic - Shrink: Shrink down decreasing the chances of being hit.

Munitions - Out with a Bang: Upon death you will self-destruct dealing massive damage to all nearby enemies and knock them away.
    • Like x 8
  2. Isif Committed Player

...or Mental: Circumvent Invisibilty and WE for big damage numbers.:p
  3. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

r u talking about make a fire moves like... idk... lets say like a rage? cos if they have in mind do something will be like that... i mean... they will recycle effects and animations and all as they can copy and paste...
  4. tukuan Devoted Player

I always thought they could do more with iconics if they made most of them have a tank, heal and troll mode as well as the typical dps. There'd be some problems matching PIs and a lack of the usual power specific mechanics but it would give people something fun to tinker with to see if they could come up with a viable non-power based loadout.

That said it could also lead to a can of worms if some unforseen imbalance presented itself.
    • Like x 1
  5. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i'd rather just not see new forms for nature, but rather more natural element/animal manipulation so to speak. when looking at the ratio of characters with animal/plant powers and nature based abilities as a whole, beast boy is just ONE character who has truly nature themed shape-shifting, with many of the others shifting via other powers like bio-elasticity, molecular control, etc. meanwhile we have a handful of characters who control animals to fight for them or only partially take on said animal's abilities while retaining their human form like: aquaman/aqualad (summon and control sea life), vixen, bwana beast (biofusion/empathic animal control), fauna faust (also animal control), barbara ann cheetah (cat control/partial animal physiology), etc etc. even amongst those mentioned in the list who DO transform in addition to animal/plant control, it's usually a mystically enabled transformation rather than a natural one. but i do like the shadow tentacles idea for celestial, just a nice nod to the fact that it's based on raven/eclipso and light and dark. DC's version of murder of crows would certainly be interesting to see, another fascinating potential power would just be the ability to summon a pack of dogs without the pesky bugged canine form (maybe with a horn animation sound), cheetah's claws or similar abilities with buffs based on vixen/animal man, but what nature REALLY needs is a new 8 man shield to bring it up to date with electricity/water's new team shield meta for raids. same with sorcery, nature could get an 8 man shield based on thorn burst, and sorcery can do any number of things for a shield; most magic users in comics/anime media are adept force-field users after all and the aesthetics choices are limitless.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Amazing creativity displayed here.
    The mental leaving the body is probably the coolest, i sorta think I remember light having a pet wjen it first came out, i might b wrong tho..

The gadgets one is a must im not sure why gadgets has 3 different grenades, i would love to see power reworks if they’re not gonna do new.. because like ive said before, how many powers are left that u can think of 2 full trees ...

People always say shadow but how would u make that different from celest purple, i personally think purple and gold should have been 2 different powers
    • Like x 3
  7. recoil2 Dedicated Player

this was likely due to the power being heavily influenced by raven in canon, thus why the powers flip-flop so much and feed into each other. also eclipso/Spectre as well, which along with raven's slight affinity for magic explains why the power seems like sorcery but with dark/light themed abilities tacked on. but agreed, the powers as a whole could really use some...... diversifying. granted the farther the powers are spread out, the harder it is to give each their own unique identities.
    • Like x 1
  8. Raven Roth Committed Player

It would be nice since Dark Pact, a Cursed ability, was replaced with Sacred Light. And they'd only have to reskin the models of the Harbinger's tentacles with the wicked material
    • Like x 1
  9. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I've been asking for Dr. Psycho's Mirror Image ability for Mental for nearly nine years.

No sense changing things up now. :D
    • Like x 4
  10. Kuno Loyal Player

We been NEEDING new habilities for a long time now, it has to happen.
    Same with iconics. We need new toys to play and trinkets or artifacts with minimun visual effects its not enough. We need something we actually see, not just stats and numbers.
    2 years ago we had Stats matter with a power pass, they said they were setting the fundation for the future. Well, its time!
    I been saying we can't have the same options at lvl 30 and CRC250, for 8 DAMN YEARS. We even should get extra slots, like 8 with an inherent slot for a iconic power and another one for super charge, even another for movement attacks.
    • Like x 4
  11. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Long overdue . I hope they can do it I have faith they can do it idk if They will anytime soon. There are tons of legends power's our Characters can use .
    • Like x 3
  12. Raven Roth Committed Player

How would that work with the slots for consumables and trinkets in the way?
  13. Kuno Loyal Player

Example:
    Once you hit CR 100 you get an Iconic extra slot, that means our tray would have an extra slot and you can have only iconic powers slotted there. You hit CR 150 or 200, you get an inherent Super charge slot. Works the same way.

- By CR 200 our power tray would be expanded to 8 slots.
    - The release new iconic powers.
    - They release a couple of new, powerful higher tier habilities for each existing powerset.
    - We get new habilities to play and match, we get more slots and more powerful increasily so there's actually grown from level 30 to CR 200, I hate being stuck with the same stuff for 8 years.
    - CR Progression feels more rewarding and real. We actually get more habilities and are more powerful instead just grind for the latest DLC gear.

Everyone its happy. You are welcome, thank you next lol
  14. FoolsFire Devoted Player

^^^ Instead of the extra slot, just let us use the cola slot for iconic or supercharge powers. We can always just put the cola in a utility belt slot.
    • Like x 1
  15. ParadoxVanguard Well-Known Player

I am all for the cola slot turning into a slot for our supercharges. That way we can expand our builds by one power and have a supercharge for each build. It also benefits moves such as Dehydrate that uses the supercharge bar. You can see the meter fill up without having two powers that use up supercharge in the current form we have now. I wouldn't do Iconic or Movement powers there because some are regular moves and some are supercharges. I would leave regular Iconic moves to the normal tray and Iconic Supercharge to the Supercharge button.

Cola could double with the trinket slot since they both can be used with utility belt anyway. Leveling up I don't think we get our first real trinket until level 30. Just give a two slot utility belt at the same time to get the buff trinket and keep the cola. To me anyway this would highlight Supercharges a lot more and maybe bring attention to ones that could use some love
  16. Cyro Committed Player

Honestly i see the only way we get new abilities would be the ones from legend characters, most of the powers can get a few new abilities added to them that way and even a few new abilities added to the movement mode tree the best part of this would be very little work on the devs, they are currently working with a near skeleton crew so completely new abilities seems doubtful.

However i do agree that we need new abilities, i would much rather a few new abilities rather than new powers like sound or wind.

As for your list

Light - Construct Pet: Summon a Nightmare Construct/Humanoid Construct.

Rage - Blind Rage: Causes nearby enemies to become infected with rage and attack each other.
    -Rage dps would become the best crowd control dps, trolls would be made even more useless

Mental - Astral Projection: Separate your spirit from your body for a short time becoming immune to damage and most crowd control.
    -Doesn't mental already have an ability that makes you immune to damage? I believe reflect pain does, either way this ability would just be used for pvp not a huge pve ability since the best way to prevent damage as a dps is to kill who causes it

Water - Eel Frenzy: Summon electric eels to entangle and electrocute enemies.
    -Water is about using water to beat your enemies or using water to form things like a sword so to make this ability fit in the eel would just wrap around an enemy like a snake and choke them

Celestial - Dark Tenebrae: Summon three giant shadowy tentacles from the ground to attack nearby enemies.
    -I have no complaints about this

Quantum - Portal: Open a gateway at two points that can be used by yourself and allies.
    -I'm not a dev but i feel like this would be too much work even though it would be the coolest ability in the game

Nature - Lion/Lioness Form.
    -I think nature players would rather more abilities that do direst damage rather than form changes. In game we have plenty of nature based creates that we could summon as temporary pets

Sorcery - Bind: Traps enemies in magical cages damaging them over time.
    -No complaints, plenty of cages that could get a retexture to fit in to sorcery

Earth - Tunnel: Sink underneath the ground becoming stealthed, when you emerge all enemies are knocked back and are damaged.
    -retexture of ices hibernate would work

Fire - Fire Breath.
    -This exists in game as an ability bizzaro uses so easy to add

Ice - Absolute Zero: Freezes all enemies who attack you.
    -Vague so easy to add a version of this. I would rather a rextexture of earths upheavel personality

Electricity - Ride the Lightning: Teleport forward dealing damage upon activation and when reaching your destination.
    -LOVE THIS, shazam and black adam have a kind of reverse version of this

Gadgets - Power Armor: Gain an armored suit increasing your defense*, precision, and might.
    -Could have a faction specific version so villains get lex corp mech suits and heroes get star lab mech suits so should be easy to add
    Atomic - Shrink: Shrink down decreasing the chances of being hit.
    - So i know this sounds like a relatively simple idea but i believe this is actually involves a lot of work if you want to keep your look, easy way around this would be just give the atomic material and a plain body style. I would like to point out that this would be a tank only power, dps wouldn't use it

Munitions - Out with a Bang: Upon death you will self-destruct dealing massive damage to all nearby enemies and knock them away.
    -One of two options would happen with this power, 1 no one would use it and 2 people would cheese it and suicide bomb which is too dark for dcuo. Would be easier to just add mines and explosives like plant a mine or throw a grenade

I'm not saying this to tear down your ideas but ti simply say be realistic, this is an aging game that doesn't have the population base to add anything massive, its better to aim small and ask for things that we could get and that would be things already in game like legend abilities or things our enemies do.