Being an L337ist Snob is not cool

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by 139 Masks, May 17, 2019.

1. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

So I always try to avoid end-game content in most games I play.
    A player that get to that level tends to become, well - using an acceptable 4 letter word - a snob.

They think they are better than everyone and that those below them don't deserve to game with them.

So where is this coming from?

I ran my first normal 4-player Alert for Cursed Gotham today.
    My character's CR is a little low, but I'm able to queue in so, I'm an acceptable level for the content.

I zone in with a character a couple of CR higher than mine and two with CR's 10+ above mine.
    The highest CR immediately turns to the door and leaves.
    We open for more players.
    The next highest CR almost immediately leaves.
    Maybe 20 seconds later, the next guy leaves.
    A player zones in. They are also around 10 CR above mine.
    Another player zones in. 10+ CR above mine. Almost immediately turns and leaves.
    The other player in the missions says "maybe we should disband and requeue".
    A new player starts zoning in with a CR of like 10+ above mine.
    My game crashes.

Does it make any difference that my game crashed?
    No not really.

I was snubbed by 4 players that left the instance because they didn't like who was in the party.
    Another one more or less indicated that they didn't want me in the party.

It just reaffirms in my mind how much end-gamers tend to ... be snobs.
    It's no fun.

I was fighting a Shog when the queue came due, and I went in and didn't let the rest of the party hang.
    I could maybe see it if we had wiped (a couple of times) or something, but leaving before the mission even started.
    I just had to say that I didn't think that was cool.
    • Like x 1
  2. Rainnifer Committed Player

Sounds like quite an unfortunate experience. My CR is high so I can't say that I've really experienced anything like that, but I always run with a friend who's CR is even higher, so I guess that doesn't leave much room for anyone in the instance to dislike lower CR players. The only time we get bothered by it is if the player is really obviously incompetent during the instance, but we don't say anything until we wipe often or if that player makes a gesture like they're all that (especially if their CR is high too.) There's been many high CR players who were willing to wait for me and my friend to return to the instance after crashing as well. There could be a lot of reasons those players you queued with left so you never really know, but I believe that the snobby high players are in the minority. I don't run elite content though... so I don't know about the actual elite players.
    • Like x 1
  3. AquiloFury Committed Player

I will say that it is unfortunate, but I see this more than I care to admit. I don't care what your cr is as long as we get the instance finished. :) I know a lot of people just want to get in and get out, easy peasy. I don't mind a challenge as long as we finish...hell I came into Darkness Rising one time and was there for almost an hour because the team was insistent on not needing heals. It takes a lot for me to walk out of an instance, it came down to where I was the only one left of the original 4...got in a couple more..and a healer..I went tank and we we're golden lol. To be fair..we wiped like..5 or 6 times prior to them leaving..it was a rough run.
    • Like x 2
  4. recoil2 Dedicated Player

to be fair i've qued in like this a few times, i feel like you're probably over selling your own abilities. the minimum and required CR have always been 10 CR and 20 CR off the REAL required CR for tier content for quite some time now, you THINK you're ready when the required CR says 90 but you get in and you're fighting 110's who basically mop the floor with you in a few hits. but the failed CR label aside....... i've seen this behavior from end gamers and NOOBS alike, so i would say to a degree they're somewhat entitled to do so, till you've seen a tank die 28 times while the rest of the team handles a raid just fine THEN you've seen stupidity at it's finest o_O.
    • Like x 2
  5. Schimaera Devoted Player

Well you're kinda overgeneralizing right now.

I can understand how you fell in the situation you described, however, you somewhat brought this on yourself.

Here are two thoughts:

- did you have a tank or heal in group from the beginning? Or did players leave because of the lack of support roles?
    - forming a group via LFG instead of just queueing up means you can look specifically for 1 heal (or tank) and 2 more dps, the players then know from the beginning what they are signing up for.
    • Like x 3
  6. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

You only mention the CR of the people though. Were there any roles in there? Healer/Tank? Parts of that alert are annoying. If I que in as a DPS w/ 3 other DPS players, I would probably leave too to give the group a chance to get a healer and/or a tank. That's generally why I join or make a group for anything above a duo in end game content...
    • Like x 1
  7. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

What you are describing is nothing new and it can occur for a host of reasons.... I've been in game for over 7 (going on 8 years now) and can still recall joining a raid my first year in game. I had just reached the point where you could join any of the early raids and almost there was one other player on that team at that same CR. A guy on the team took one look at our ratings and informed us we were "WAY TOO LOW to do this thing" Moments later both of us got kicked.

Others have pointed out some very real concerns... That alert is tricky and it is very possible that if there was no healer and / or no tank the players you described may have just been avoiding the inevitable by leaving before the multiple mass wipes began.

Now let us not stop with just the HIGHER CR running off because that is hardly the case in this game. I have joined numerous Duos using the blind que and found my team mate to be about the same CR I was. Thinking to myself.. Okay we won't be flying through this but I have cone this before we can win.. and then POOF the other guy left because he was hoping for some CR 200+ player to carry him and when he realized he might have to actually do something he was gone.

Hey I lived through the days where the speed demons ruled and alerts were supposed to be 3 DPS and 1 healer while raid were 1 healer, MAYBE a tank, and at least 6 DPS. It got so bad if you qued into a duo using ANY other role besides DPS you were considered useless and were just looking to be carried.

There are a ton of players out there that readily expect everything to go perfect... I was on a raid the very first day that brand new content was added to the game. After a team wipe .. two players quit, they were replaced and we went back, without discussing a ting, did the exact same thing and wiped again.. another couple players left and had to be replaced.. and yes at least one of them was a player that joined after that first wipe. FINALLY a guy starts screaming about how we are doing it wrong what is wrong with us? and then tells us how to beat that sub boss and continue on. SEEMS he had been on test for some time and knew what to do... STRANGELY it never occurred to him that Only people playing on a computer could play on the TEST server and not even all of those players ever went near test.. but some how ONE WHOLE HOUR after the DLC was live we were all supposed to know all the tricks needed to have a smooth fast run? No one wants to talk or discuss anything .. just quit and find a "better" team.

The list goes one.. and on.. LOL and ON and I seriously doubt it will change.
    • Like x 2
  8. Rainnifer Committed Player

That sounds like a really scary time to be playing at. I main as a Controller and already sometimes feel useless when the rest of the team is decent on their power, although I'm a believer that my debuffs help plenty as well, and have had some players asking me and my Tank friend to go dps. We simply tell them we don't have dps setups and luckily most of the time they say that's okay and we continue on with the instance or say thank you at the end. The community of this game seems very yin and yang to me so far. On the forums and in most instances people seem decent, nice, and understanding, but in Shout chats and possible elitist groups it's quite the opposite.
  9. Schimaera Devoted Player

Find prec dps. They would be stupid not to take a controller into the alert. The sheer buff of 20% additional precision all the time in addition to a reduced damage-debuff is in my book better than a third dps (as long as the two in the group are prec) ^^
    • Like x 1
  10. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

That just means those people probably paid for their CR and were already impatient. I que alerts all the time and have no problem because I already know im gonna run through it anyways. I'd only leave after a large handful of wipes
    • Like x 2
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Not so much scary as frustrating at times. I took my Atomic tank and joined a Demon's Plan alert . The team consisted of 2 DP, 1 healer and my tank. Before we even started on the mobs leading to the first big battle one of the DPS was whining about me switching to DPS. Then we entered a room with several mobs and I hopped into the middle and started attacking. I had EVERY member of every mob crowded around me trying desperately to kill me. I was standing there using my melee attacks to stun and damage them. The DPS took no damage at all because everything was after me and we cleared the room in no time.. Strangely after that that same DPS never complained about me being in tank mode again.

Trust me your debuffs are helping and take my advice and just ignore what you see in SHOUT. The vast majority of players rarely use it except to try and find a team or try to buy/sell something. Those CONSTANTLY voicing "their" opinion are in the minority and you have to wonder at times... "Do you actually ever play the game or just stand around complaining?" LOL
    • Like x 3
  12. Yaiba Committed Player

I don't think your CR is a problem, I have ran that alert as a cr249 DPS for a month without any issue at all. I believe the reason high cr player left is:
    + There is no support role in group (either tank or heal).
    + By inspecting gear/augment/sp, they decide to not carry low cr player.
    • Like x 3
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Are you sure it was because of your CR? Maybe they left because there was no healer/tank? I couldn't finish the alert on 2 of my characters yesterday because no one wanted to switch to support.
    • Like x 2
  14. Protecktor MKV Committed Player

I never understand why people do that. If I queue in and am the highest cr dps but there's no healer, I automatically switch lol
  15. myandria Item Storage

I only use DPS powers when I solo, doing daily missions or doing seasonal events; otherwise I play and equip my characters for the role my they have powers for. There are too many DPS's running around and to me, that role is excruciatingly boring. I will never queue in or switch to DPS; none of my characters have DPS gear.
  16. Brit Loyal Player

I am actually one who does this quite frequently. And please believe me when I say, it has absolutely nothing to do with what anyone else's CR is. When I am using the Random Queue (which I do frequently), it means that the content is trivial enough to me that I no longer stress about who is in the group.

BUT

When I zone in with the group, and I look at the group, all too often I see something that matters to me a whole heck of a lot more than the silly CR number. I see a tiny grey shield beside someone's name. And above that grey shield, there is a huge grey fireball. And then I see a tiny grey spiral beside a different name. And above that spiral, there is a huge grey fireball. I see a group comprised of myself (a healer), and then 7 people who are all DPS. And two of those DPS actively queued up as Tank and Controller respectively, but when the zone in, they don't actually want to play the role they queued as.

It baffles the mind. They queued both roles in order to get a faster queue pop. And in doing so, they prevented a REAL Tank or a REAL Controller from joining. And they don't actually intend on playing that support role; they are going to stay as a DPS. And so they just stand around waiting. Like "Oh, junk. We don't have a Tank." No. We do have a Tank. It's you.

That is a situation that happens at least half the time I random queue these raids, and I have zero tolerance for it. If we pop in and we do not have all three support roles filled within the first 60 seconds, I just walk out the door. I mean, we can argue with that guy about how he's the one that queued that role, how the group needs him to actually DO what he signed up to do. But the facts remain, those type of players who will queue a role they have no intentions of playing, they don't have gear for the role; they don't have a build for the role; they probably don't even know how to do it. Why argue with them to convince them to try and Tank it, when we know they're going to be doing it in their DPS gear.

Instead, I look around, and if we do not have the basic requirements of the group, I leave. And if 2-3 people leave before the first boss, it is always more effective to just disband and re-queue. Then when enough people queue up that you could have a full group, it will pop again. Why wait for 8 people to join through random queue just standing at the entrance, when I could wait in the queue for 8 people to join, while also doing my dailies in Chaos Gotham while I wait.

People leaving does not mean it's because of anyone's CR. In fact, unless it's the Elite Raids, most people using the random queue just do not care. There are plenty of legit reasons to drop; don't immediately assume the worst about people.
    • Like x 2
  17. Illumin411 Loyal Player

A leaguemate and I 2-manned the alert the other day, me as DPS, him as tank. So if someone is leaving because there's no healer or others' CR is too low or anything like that, it says a lot more about their lack of skill than yours.
    • Like x 3
  18. Anri Myst Active Player

This is almost the reverse of what happens to me, I'm roughly 230 cr and 225 sp so not really as good as I could be but not to bad either.

What I get in groups is that both high or low cr rush ahead while group members are repairing or still loading in. My friends a healer and they run into boss fights and start locking him and sometimes me out.

This happens regardless of if I'm dps or tank, I have gear for both roles and can switch as needed. But people just have to save those few seconds by rushing ahead. Locking out team members and sometimes wiping. And therefore being slower than if they had just went in as a team.

Of course there are also the usual high CRs just trying to rush everything or trying to be top of the dps ladder, not like most people in the group could even compare but its not like they need teams anyway.
    • Like x 3
  19. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

we would have made it a duo...high cr dont mean nothing
  20. Whizzkid Dedicated Player