Start Old or Start Fresh?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Raarsi, May 10, 2019.

1. Raarsi New Player

So I've been trying to wrap my head around this for a while now, but I've been trying to figure out whether to play an old main (CR & SP both at ~110) and pay to change powerset or just to roll a new character and just dump some replay badges on it.

So which would be better?
  2. Rainnifer Committed Player

It depends on what you've done so far on the old character, but I say new character, and no need for replay badges. Leveling up is pretty quick nowadays
    Edit: I forgot those badges are also used to re-unlock styles and feats
    • Like x 1
  3. Raarsi New Player

Some of the original raids and some other things that newer players may not have known existed, which was why I mentioned replay badges for that. Then again, I have no idea what older stuff is done these days.
  4. Rainnifer Committed Player

I guess I wouldn't know what you may be referring to because I'm a new player myself sorta, but I never had much trouble getting into any content I needed to get into, and since there's a lot you shouldn't have to replay anything.
    • Like x 1
  5. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Entirely up to you but I'd just start a new alt. You can always use the old one for storage and as extra play time (without using replays) during holiday events... Styles can't be shared but Hey in a couple days with a few alts you can have every piece if new furniture and complete that feat... Then just buy what you need or like and if you want the feat one more than one alt us e replay for that.

As already mentioned getting a new ALT started is not really a problem at all these days.. I created one recently and I was taking my time and was at level 30 in about 6 hours spread over two days. Two days later and I'm at CR 56 with My buddy system, orbital strike and supply drop all at tier three. I have 190 marks so I could easily go buy a full set of CR 70 armor off the vendor and be pushing CR 80.. oh and that would cost me about 91 marks so I could turn right around and buy an full set of CR 78 armor off THAT vendor and be around CR 84 and headed to the Wastelands.

I'm taking my time while I collect feats and up the level on my artifacts and augments. I'm at C R 59 with three artifacts all at level 60 and all my augment are above 60 as well. I have a full set of DPS and Troll armor and I have not spent a single mark yet on ANY armor everything has come from missions. Heck these days You can do the event version of Justice League Dark and walk out with 4 marks a day.... 28 once each week by doing the weekly missions after reset so that's 52 marks in a week. Not to mention the three pieces of daily unatunned armor that will drop ( 6 when you add in the weekly stuff once a week).... giving you 24 armor drops from that alone .. 7 more unattuned from doing the vault. You also now have access to the Death of Superman stuff.. no armor drops there except ion the sole which can be done daily but another four marks a day from the daily stuff (5 if you find a team and defeat Doomsday every day.. that one can get tricky depending on the time of day)

Getting the idea yet? LOL marks and armor are falling from the sky these days and you can use them on any role. The days of running a raid and walking out with 2 pieces of arm or because you lost the dice roll on the others and then winding up with 1 piece of Tank and One piece of Healer armor on your TROLL are long gone. Lots more gear dropping and it almost always makes you stronger and helps up that Combat Rating.

Have fun :p
    • Like x 1
  6. Great Architect Loyal Player

If you just respec, you'll possibly be missing the Origin Augments for your new Role? Just a heads-up on that.

If you need Resto, but have Vit, it'll take a long time to level them - but if you do it as you go along on a new character, it's not so painful.
    • Like x 1
  7. CharlesQuester Active Player

In my opinion, I would use the character that you have at ~110. You might have some styles that are no longer available on that toon. Plus there is some stuff you wouldn't have to grind through again. I changed PSN account names so I had to create a new character. It was ok at the time but redoing the Central City bounty feats s*cked a$$!! (I think T5 or T6 was endgame at the time)
    • Like x 1
  8. Brit Loyal Player

I'd say stick with the old one. You've already got the gear, the feats, etc. There is no real advantage to re-grinding that same stuff.

The game has almost no tutorial, and anything less than CR180 is probably just getting melted by a high level player in the group so you won't really get much genuine experience at playing. Your real "training" or "practice" isn't going to happen til you're at a level high enough that one or two players cannot simply carry it. There is no real advantage to playing those lower levels.

Nobody is learning a damage rotation when their enemies are dying before you hit your 3rd power. Just stick with the higher level character, so that you can save some time burning your way to the endgame.
    • Like x 1
  9. inferno Loyal Player

start new and you will have the other toon's power to play with later on.